Nine Cricket Coverage

I didn’t realise Foxtel had rights to cricket.

I thought it was only Ch 9 & Ch 10?

Fox has the rights to pretty much all cricket played outside Australia through agreements with the respective cricket boards (e.g.; NZ, India, England, etc). The only thing they don’t have rights to is when Australia tours England for The Ashes since Nine has them

2 Likes

Or it could be Sky Sports NZ will be host broadcaster and Nine takes their feed.

In Australia/NZ yes.

A Nine/Fox Sports simulcast for all games would make the most sense, although the most likely scenario will be Nine showing the games in Australia and Fox Sports showing the games in New Zealand (including final).

Perhaps a trade of the rights to the England v NZ match played here in exchange for a simulcast of the Aus v NZ match in NZ and the final?

Personally, I think it’s silly for such a series to be scheduled if Channel 9 did not have rights to all matches.

4 Likes

Totally agree. It’s three games in Australia and three in NZ, in which the cricket boards have gone how can we maximise interest in international t/20.

1 Like

Which at this stage is probably closer to zero than any other number (scheduling a series vs Sri Lanka when the best players in the team are in India this year is exhibit A). Sure people will watch and tune in because there generally isn’t great competition from the other networks and the sideshows around the ground would keep the kiddies interested but as a sporting contest, it’s really more who cares than a bi lateral 50 over series. At least the franchise leagues which may have a number of who cares type games at the end of the regular season have a finals series to look forward to.

The Australia v Pakistan 2nd Test (Hobart) from 1999 is now being shown due to a rain delay.

At least one good thing about these rain delay broadcasts is the novelty of seeing what on-screen graphics used to look like on Nine’s cricket coverage! :slight_smile:

Of course I couldn’t resist getting a cap of The Duck, 1999-style!

6 Likes

The infamous "Can’t Bowl, Can’t Throw!’ test match

3 Likes

And for those who used to watch it on WIN it was without the cover-ups although being from Bellerive there were large dotty WIN logos at the ground so even now after the affiliation change they’re still sneaking in!

4 Likes

Yes, I certainly noticed that blue and yellow “WIN Television” sign on the logo in the background…

This has one of the longest days in Nine’s test cricket coverage. Play finally finished at 11.07pm AEDT with the test evenly poised.

1 Like

Cricket just finished for the day, which means it almost went in to tomorrow! Nine started its coverage at 1 and it ends at around 11:30.

Nine should’ve been as stubborn as what WIN were and put a giant floating block to cover it up. It’s payback time!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Bloody brilliant that.

If I were WIN (and had money that, you know, could reasonably be invested in a better news service), I’d buy up more hoardings across cricket grounds…

WIN also used to have signage at the WACA Ground in Perth.
Well outside its coverage area.

And they were naming rights holders at Jubilee Oval in Sydney, St George-lllawarra’s home ground, so even Nine had to refer to it as "“WIN Jubilee Oval” during coverage of the Dragons games. They also had electronic billboards near the sidelines promoting Local News, which were quite noticeable at times too.

2 Likes

A previously unseen intro to the 2000/01 summer of cricket. I wish they brought this music back!

Thanks @zampakid

1 Like

Intro to the 1999 World Cup in England. Not entirely sure if anyone had previously uploaded a version of it (this recorded via WIN of course).

1 Like