Nine Cricket Coverage

The rights come up irregularly. For example, after the Ashes, Australia will tour South Africa for an ODI series in August.

2 Likes

The ICC tournament things should be announced soon for the next set of tournaments. They were delayed because of the local deal

2 Likes

For the bilateral tours the home nation owns the rights and tend sell them as a whole (whether against Australia or not), with an exception of Australian tours of England where the ECB has to sell to an FTA, but currently sells the rest of their home serieses to Foxtel.

It’s remarkable that Fox has been able to hold onto most of them and manage to get deals at the last minute with nations they’re not interested in when not involving Australia (Bangladesh for example).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nine/Stan or Ten/Paramount bought the English rights as a whole next year when they expire, before Fox can pick over the scraps and using their streaming platforms for all the other matches though.

4 Likes

Who has the WTC rights?

I think Fox

Edit: 7 has exclusive rights

A post was merged into an existing topic: International Sports Rights

Sky Sports, host broadcaster for the upcoming Ashes series in England, announced a 21-member strong commentary team on Tuesday.

Commentary Team for Men’s Ashes
• Ian Ward
• Nasser Hussain
• Ricky Ponting
• Mel Jones
• Mark Taylor
• Mike Atherton
• Eoin Morgan
• Kevin Pietersen
• Kumar Sangakkara
• Mark Butcher
• Dinesh Karthik
• Sir Andrew Strauss (Lord’s Test only for the Ruth Strauss Foundation)

Commentary team for Women’s Ashes
• Nick Knight
• Isa Guha
• Mel Jones
• Simon Doull
• Mark Butcher
• Charlotte Edwards
• Lydia Greenway
• Lauren Winfield-Hill
• Charles Dagnall

3 Likes

Mark Nicholas out of favour?

and no - before the obvious comments of he’s not English…
Pietersen is South Aferican - and Morgan is Welsh :slight_smile:

Mark doesn’t work for Sky…

1 Like

Mark doesn’t work for Skysports. He hasn’t worked for them since 1999.

1 Like

Feels weird not seeing Gower, Botham, Holding or Lloyd on that list.

4 Likes

I know that David Lloyd had retired from commentary, are the other three still working for Sky?

1 Like

Not for a few years now. Gower and Botham finished up I think in 2019, Holding in 2021.

3 Likes

:thinking:
Only actually 20 names between those 2 lists… and I’d argue considering that nowhere near 21 (or even 20) people would be commentating on any one test that the whole headline is very misleading… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’d say that covers both the men’s and women’s series.

From the article:

Now, (Ponting) has been confirmed as one of the big names recruited to the 12-man team for the June and July series.

Also

The commentators will rotate through the series, with the final Test taking place at The Oval on July 27-31.

Why’s Dinesh Karthik and Kumar Sangakkara there? No offence to their great cricket knowledge but if you’ve got such a bloated team surely you’d only want Aussies and Poms?

Yeah I realise that - still misleading though, and they’ve come to the 21 figure just by adding up both lists without realising or comprehending that Mel Jones is on both lists. Just very sloppy work.

1 Like

Mind you it’s not a Sky article/release. I’d say the DM has added the two lists without thought in order to get that “21?!?!?!” headline.

1 Like

Yeah, Daily Mail - typical of their ‘work’

1 Like

I found Dinesh Karthik’s commentary during the Indian series to be irritating, so I’m not too happy to see him on the list.

2 Likes