Newshub

I don’t have too much issue with MM’s reporting tbh but this is a bit laughable in the interview you linked to.

How do you feel personally about commentators taking your reporting and catastrophising it?

I mean catastrophising my reporting is not terribly helpful and certainly in my reporting I haven’t done anything like that. I stick to the facts and don’t offer up any sort of opinion outside of that. I think there can be a risk in that because it can potentially build up anger or frustration even more so among the public.

And yet…

Newshub reporter on behalf of Michael Morrah to the Director General:

Can we just circle back to the testing, there have been repeated failures of the testing system under your leadership, shouldn’t you take some responsibility for what’s happening and offer your resignation?

Also…

https://twitter.com/NewshubNationNZ/status/1296934476883177472

It’s a fair point, but those fronting the media conferences are ultimately at the top of the chain and responsible. Buck stops with them etc.
and a lot of DHBs have been reverting to MOH for comment because they are too afraid of not being on the same song sheet etc.

Agree on this. However, it’s the nature of having these conferences in the Beehive theatrette that has forced this because only parliamentary accredited journalists can attend.
I know they’ve done a few at MOH HQ as well which opens it up to a few more.

I saw someone on twitter float an idea of a Covid Correspondent earlier and it’s not the worst idea.
A shame someone like Lorelei Mason isn’t around still.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1 News NZ

Yes was gunna say, since no more Lorelei has there been a health reporter on TVNZ? (Oops wrong thread)

2 Likes

Yeah, they cut it and she got moved to the general Christchurch reporting pool but did a lot of health stories before leaving.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Newshub are the Fox News of New Zealand they show loyalty to the right it’s totally bias coverage of the kiwi political system.

1 Like

Nah I wouldn’t class any of nz’s news media as equivalent to Fox News. Most of the Magic Talk hosts lean purposely to the right, but I wouldn’t put Newshub in the same boat. Any govt stuff ups get a lot of airtime but they certainly don’t hide National’s. And then there’s The Project…

4 Likes

The NZ Herald…?

3 Likes

More right wing than the Hub or Stuff I guess with the constant NTZB advertising via opinion pieces from Hosk/Hawkesby etc but on the whole, Fox News level? Not imo. Do they still have Lizzie Marvelly, Bryce Edwards, Simon Wilson?

2 Likes

TOVA O’BRIEN, DUNCAN GARNER AND PATRICK GOWER TO FRONT NEWSHUB DECISION 2020 COVERAGE ON THREE

THREE’S DECISION 2020 COVERAGE SUMMARY

ELECTION NIGHT

17 October, 7.00PM: Newshub Decision 2020 Election Night, hosted in studio by Tova O’Brien, Duncan Garner and Patrick Gower. Newshub journalists will cross live from multiple locations around the country. Live on Three, ThreeNow, Newshub’s Facebook page and YouTube account.

DEBATES
30 September, 7.30PM: Newshub Decision 2020 Leaders Debate with Jacinda Ardern and Judith Collins, hosted by Patrick Gower and post-debate analysis by Tova O’Brien with guest panellists. Live on Three, ThreeNow, Newshub’s Facebook page and YouTube account. Simulcast on Magic Talk.

19 September, 9.30AM: Newshub Nation presents Battlegrounds - a special programme dedicated to some of the most hotly-contested electorates in the country, featuring a debate between the key Northland Candidates, on location in the Bay of Islands.

03 October, 9.30AM: Newshub Nation presents Powerbrokers, its multi-party leaders’ debate featuring the Green Party’s Marama Davidson , the ACT Party’s David Seymour, and John Tamihere from The Maori Party.

Three’s The Hui will also be running debates centred on the seven Māori seats between 15 September - 11 October, hosted by award winning Māori journalist Mihingarangi Forbes.

REFERENDUM QUESTIONS

07 October, 8.30PM: Newshub Decision 2020 The Cannabis Question, moderated by Patrick Gower. Live on Three, ThreeNow, Newshub’s Facebook page and YouTube account.

14 October, 8.30PM: Newshub Decision 2020 The Euthanasia Question, moderated by Patrick Gower. Live on Three, ThreeNow, Newshub’s Facebook page and YouTube account.

THE MORNING AFTER

18 October, 10.00AM: as the country wakes to make sense of its election result, Newshub Nation presents its live, extended 90-minute post-election special, hosted by Simon Shepherd and Tova O’Brien.

Three’s The Hui will also deliver an hour long post election special from 9.00AM, 18 October.

5 Likes

Definitely won’t be watching Newshub’s election coverage this year. Both Duncan and Tova are biased and ask horrible and stupid questions ( I like Paddy tho) but still not worth tuning in to. TVNZ’s lineup is much better and they have a good panel of hosts. Definitely better then Newshub’s selection.

4 Likes

Both teams are very… white. Newshub should’ve taken the opportunity to have Mihi Forbes moderate the main debate.

3 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking: I prefer Lloyd Burr, who is based in London as Newshub’s Europe correspondent, and Craig McCulloch, who is the deputy political editor at RNZ. To me, they are unbiased when it comes to journalism - especially political reporting.

2 Likes

Has Tova presented anything for 3 News/Newshub previously? Find it interesting how she’s being used as a presenter rather than appearing in her role as the network’s Political Editor

1 Like

I personally don’t think race is a factor on the selection of a political panel. It’s up to experience and both stations have chosen based off experience. New Zealand has many great Maori or “non-white” reporters and presenters, but wouldn’t you rather watch journalists who are the most clued up, or would you choose who you watch because of the skin colour of the hosts?

3 Likes

She has presented a few episodes of Newshub Nation that I’m aware of but outside that I’m not sure sorry

1 Like

I absolutely see @Korero’s point around this - but ultimately they are going to go with their talent they have on their books already to present political coverage.

It goes back to a much wider issue of Maori/Pasifika/other minorities not being in those positions in the first place. I see a lot of love for Mihi Forbes on Twitter, but she’s the host of a very niche show and wouldn’t work as a debate host or election night coverage.

The question is how we get those people in those roles in society, not just media but business and politics etc to reflect society.

6 Likes

I imagine they’ll have a revolving panel like last time round that’ll have Maori/Pacifika commentators for the election coverage.

But I agree - They should have some greater representation for the actual presenters.

2 Likes

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/309325348/1598481649/1080x360

Some of the Decision 2020 branding from Newshub’s twitter.

4 Likes