News Corp Australia

1 Like

https://twitter.com/meadea/status/1592753768491540480?s=20&t=bgXimZQWTs7wlzyZgmqpRw

The editor-in-chief of The Australian Chris Dore has resigned suddenly, citing health issues.

In his note to his staff Dore said: “Last month, I marked my four-year anniversary in the job. Any editor will admit the past few years have felt like dog years and as you know, I have no off-switch. I am exhausted, and have recognised I can’t keep going on like this.

“I have long-standing personal health issues I need to resolve and am leaving News to concentrate on restoring my health. I will also be undergoing surgery this week, so will have to postpone farewells until a later time.”

Dore has been editor-in-chief for four years after starting on the paper 31 years ago.

2 Likes

Misleading description, here’s his career according to linkedin:

1 Like

Fiona Nilsson will add to her remit, becoming managing director, Food, Health and Travel, while Kerrie McCallum will oversee the network’s editorial direction, adding to her premium food and travel portfolios as editorial director of Premium Food, Health and Travel.

McCallum will assume editorial oversight of Body+Soul, along with premium food brand delicious. and travel brands Escape and Travel + Luxury.

Amanda Meade wrote today that Dore was forced to resign after attending Wall Street Journal Tech Live in Laguna Beach, California, last month.

Guardian Australia has confirmed Dore attended the event and was witnessed chatting with top executives at one of a number of cocktail parties held at the event.

Sources said after witnessing Dore’s behaviour, News Corp management told him to take an extended break.

He never returned to the company.

1 Like
1 Like

So long to another dinosaur.

More blame for alcohol rather than self control and own behaviour?

1 Like

Caught again

Guardian report

3 Likes
5 Likes

Mr Gleeson said: ‘I apologise for breaching News Corp’s Code of Conduct and instances where I have not met the standards required’.

Wonder where he copied that from.

(Should have been terminated rather than choosing to leave).

3 Likes

Has been sacked from sky as well? He shouldn’t be permitted to be involved in any media moving forward. He’s a disaster.

2 Likes

His position as a print journalist in a mainstream paper is untenable.

1 Like

From the SMH

In a brief online post on Thursday, The Courier-Mail broke the news that Gleeson had “ended his roles at The Courier-Mail and Sky News”.

3 Likes
1 Like

Sources say a senior editor at The Australian attended News Corp headquarters in Sydney on Wednesday to meet with HR over an incident during end-of-year drinks at a pub in Surry Hills.

The incident is understood to have occurred last Thursday night in Surry Hills, where both senior and junior staff were meeting for drinks.

1 Like

Maybe News should stop having drinks…?

1 Like

I need to change jobs - our Christmas party inadvertently turned into a super-spreader event for a gastro bug

3 Likes

Maybe News employees should stop behaving like prehistoric cavemen (or cavewomen)?

I’m thinking this sort of behaviour has been part of the culture in that workplace forever. It’s just that the victims are actually speaking out these days against unacceptable behaviour without fear of unfair retribution.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I see that news.com is trying to “invent” some news this morning.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/abc-blasted-for-tragic-new-years-eve-snoozefest/news-story/8d298378aa53f7308597e63fd53c7417

They are also running the beat up at Fox News:

2 Likes