News Corp Australia

The release says “comic strips” i.e. sequence of drawings. They aren’t talking about the editorial cartoons.

There was a massive backlash against News Corp when they downsized the comics strip section in the metro daily newspapers in Sydney and Melbourne in the mid '90s. When they initially merged their morning and afternoon mastheads, they retained both sets of strips that ran in those papers but eventually decided to get rid of some.

The puzzles page is the only reason I flick through and spend some time with a physical newspaper these days. I can see them getting rid of those given the widespread popularity of games on smart phones having made them redundant. There’s nothing more satisfying to me than neatly completing those puzzles without error.

5 Likes

Even though the comic strips can now be found online, the News Corp papers provide a one-stop location for the strips to appear.

I think scrapping the comic strips will make the paper less popular especially with younger readers.

I hope Nine newspapers such as The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age can pick up some of the comic strips, Ginger Meggs in particular.

(SMH and The Age publish Wizard of Id on Monday-Saturdays, with The Sunday Telegraph in Sydney publishing the Sunday editions)

1 Like

Agreed, all they are doing is reducing the overall value of the paper, before long they will cut back on the ink by reintroducing black and white pages like the old days.

2 Likes

You know any younger readers who actually buy a newspaper? Let alone any that are interested in comic strips.

4 Likes

I sometimes see young people buying The Australian and the Saturday Paper, so I can believe there is still a market for print among young people (however small). However, I would be floored if they were buying newspapers for the comics.

2 Likes
1 Like

Bizarre final sentence about comics replaced by movies and streaming which is simply standard programming on demand.

4 Likes

News Corp posted a notice in today’s papers confirming it would no longer publish syndicated comics from Monday, September 12. (This one is from The Hobart Mercury)

While most cartoons that had been published in News Corp papers can now be seen on either GoComics and Comics Kingdom websites, daily strips for Aussie comics Insanity Streak and Snake Tales are much harder to find.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

oof

2 Likes

another example of The Australian’s journalism… I don’t know if this story was a Sophie special but it’s pretty much on brand for her…

EDIT: Apparently it was Janet Albrechtsen

2 Likes

“Apology” from Peter Gleeson for plagiarising Josh Bravas’ work.

He’s happy to join the chorus of ABC haters but also happy to use its work :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

According to Media Watch - more examples of plagiarism have been discovered and Peter Gleeson is now on “personal Leave”. Paul Barry has called for his sacking for the Courie Mail and Sky News.

2 Likes

Being from News Corpse I’m sure Murdoch will keep him on both so they can keep annoying ‘Channel 2’.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if there is any credible journalists left.

1 Like

I hate how they seem to be so stupid and not know that Fairfax is no longer. Across Fox Sports, news.com.au, even the newspapers often credit “Fairfax is reporting”. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ugh… say no more. As always, friendlyjordies summed her up perfectly:

1 Like