News Corp Australia

News Corp has appointed Jessica Leo-Kelton as the new editor of Adelaide Sunday Mail, replacing incumbent Andrew Holman who is retiring after 31 years with the company.

1 Like

Thanks @JohnsonTV, Andrew is getting out before it turns really grim at News in Adel.

News Corp Australasia executive chairman Michael Miller has told The Australian Financial Review that the company was no longer fielding offers for its regional business, and was happy with how it was integrating into the wider portfolio.

The MEAA confirming that 50 editorial jobs are to go across News Corp’s metro mastheads

Well, News Corp papers can no longer laugh over redundancies at The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

1 Like

those almost-smug headlines from The Australian every time there are redundancies at Fairfax will no doubt disappear this time

3 Likes

This is after News Corp disposed of their majority ownership of the Perth community newspapers.

Low rating Rugby Union and Soccer can definitely say goodbye to Foxtel and Fox Sports when their contracts expire, it appears. From the same article:

2 Likes

What a joke, they’ll flog it off as soon as they receive an offer they’re happy with. The accepted offer will be well below what they paid, they’ve destroyed more value than APN did in 20 years.

Good, won’t be missed by me.

They haven’t been able to for years, quietly shedding staff. Fairfax’s mistake was to do it in bulk batches, News is too clever for that.

Getting rid of basketball too? Do they have it currently?

Will Optus Sport take them up?

The spies at the Australian Signals Directorate are getting tetchy.

https://twitter.com/SydneyEditor/status/1135724831712800768?s=19

1 Like

Looks like the AFP are trying to find out who leaked the documents to Annika in the first place.

1 Like

No loss there, I hope they give her weeks of cleaning up to do.

What a ridiculous comment.

The story exposed a frightening development in the overreach of security agencies into our lives. The fact the government is raiding her is equally frightening.

Don’t let your endemic hatred of NewsCorp blinker you too much.

3 Likes

They don’t care about what selfie you sent to your partner, enough to do looking for criminal material. If it was a story about misuse of surveillance of private data, there’d be a story, but this plan is a good thing. Certainly more worthwhile than the security circus at airports.

Other targets.

AFP’s journo crackdown widens:

Well you don’t get a say in what they’re interested in.
Whoever “they” or “them” may be, at any given time.
:wink:

3 Likes

More AFP searches coming:

Defeats the purpose of a warrant if there is no element of surprise.

Journos and their tech teams are clever enough to exile the data to a safe place out of their grasp and more so when they have knowledge of impending warrants.

Smethurst and the ABC will have left the AFP a few crumbs but I’d say what they’re largely looking for would’ve long gone before the stories were published.

1 Like

Destruction of any records without proper authority is under the Archives Act, 1983 subject to a fine of $4,200 for each offence. There are probably other offences under the Crimes Act, such as not complying with a search warrant because material has willfully been deleted. I find it difficult to believe that the ABC would not have fully complied with the AFP.

1 Like

I’m sure the ABC would’ve complied too, however if files have been deleted or never existed on ABC assets, then it becomes more futile.

2 Likes