News Corp Australia

“Childish” is just about the right level to tackle the PC brigade.
Intelligent debate is instantly shut down the second PC police get their hands on it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. We can’t have a debate using reasoned and opposing argument any more. People are too scared to say what they really think, and bit by bit this PC garbage, which on some levels seeks to deny that which actually is, gains momentum and stifles free speech.
There is nothing wrong with Knight’s cartoon. Virtually all cartoonists exaggerate features to make a figure instantly recognisable and this is no more or less so.
Bravo to the Herald Sun for standing up.

2 Likes

The thing is this cartoonist failed with Serena Williams. It isn’t instantly recognisable as her, except for maybe the hair but that is only in the context of the rest of the scene.

I don’t consider it a fail at all. The features that were exaggerated are the same features that I would exaggerate if I wanted to depict a dummy spit in this situation.
I doubt that we would be debating this if the cartoon depicted a white dummy spitter with exactly the same exaggerations.

2 Likes

I don’t find the cartoon offensive either. Mark Knight might have exaggerated Serena’s hair and facial features but that’s about it. So I don’t understand why African Americans are complaining against the cartoon instead of complaining against Serena’s outburst in the first place.

2 Likes

My two cents, initially I didn’t find it offensive either, but listening and reading some of the more measured responses in the context of racial stereotyping of last century clearly many people find Knight’s caricature deeply offensive. Yes Williams’ opponent is also dark skinned, but she isn’t the antagonist in the cartoon hence the basic drawing of her focussing on her blonde ponytail. People unfamiliar with Knight’s work wouldn’t understand that is how he draws.
I think in hindsight the cartoon probably deserved an apology from HWT. But I can’t see those heaping the most scorn accepting that.

1 Like

1 Like

Caught a little of news.com.au’s pre coverage of The Emmy’s online today and it all looked very unapologetically Rob KcKnight produced, not too dissimilar to how it would’ve usually been done on Studio 10 to be honest.

The standouts were probably seasoned professionals Jonathon Moran, Melissa Hoyer and Andrew Bucklow and Susie Elelman also featured on the panel as well.

Loop showing on the stream now:

What I hate about video on news.com.au is that every preroll ad I get is for Children’s Panadol, a product I will never buy, and that after I watch the video I wanted to watch another unrelated video automatically plays preceded again by the same @#$&*$# ad for Children’s Panadol. Getting rid of the repetitive ads and killing auto next play would be a big improvement for that site.

1 Like

More than three years after its closure, afternoon paper MX is back for a limited time, thanks to a sponsorship from the new Carlton Zero beer. The paper will be distributed free at Melbourne’s CBD and Richmond railway stations every Wednesday starting tomorrow (September 26).

Must be some big ad dollars being paid to get this paper out of the graveyard

But kudos to their social media team for never deleting the original Twitter account :wink:

4 Likes

Another Media section journalist moves on.

1 Like

Who’s going to become the next messenger for Rupert? :unamused:

3 Likes

I’ll be at Southern Cross station later I’ll try and grab a copy

Sugar Free like Coke Zero RIP :coffin: ?

No, it’s a new brand of non-alcoholic beer from CUB. I mentioned it in another thread couple of weeks ago.

So the beer funded the return of the newspaper?

Looks like it.

Exactly. Here are two articles about the MX relaunch:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/free-commuter-newspaper-mx-makes-a-comeback-how-to-get-your-copy/news-story/e0fdf81d737538ff8e639f5fe87a498b

1 Like