News Corp Australia

Flying in from California this morning Rupert Murdoch’s plane was diverted to Sydney due to fog closing Canberra Airport. During his unscheduled stop in Sydney Murdoch was spotted buying some quality reading material in The Sydney Morning Herald and The Australian Financial Review, seemingly not bothering to buy News Corp’s own The Daily Telegraph and The Australian.

1 Like

Emergecny in Toowoomba :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, nobody even checks a front page headline?

The Australian sends out a media release with an embargo time of midnight tonight, but sends out a tweet with the release at 9.30pm

The Teacher’s Pet has to be one of the most successful podcasts in recent history. It recently hit 10 million downloads and hit No.1 on iTunes podcast charts in four countries - Australia, US, Canada and UK. Who would have thought overseas people will be so interested in the disappearance of an Australian mother more than 30 years ago?

Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet call for a retraction of story in The Australian:

The article in today’s The Australian contains a series of assertions about departmental support for Ministers who submitted their resignations during the past week.

There is no factual basis for any of these assertions relating to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet or me.

I have contacted The Australian to seek a retraction.

Secretary provides facts on false reporting in The Australian

Meanwhile over in Boltland…

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/turnbulls-vengeance/news-story/7c76203aa709ad7859eff8602a1ba1d6

He repeats it on his blog. I’m lost for words.

Herald Sun announced today that Danny Russell is the new sports editor. Russell had been editing the Sunday Herald Sun sports section for two years. Jamie Tate has been appointed sports editor of the Sunday edition.

The 2018 Pride of Australia Awards were officially launched today. Seven News and Australia Post have come onboard as new sponsors. The nominees who have made inspiring and selfless contributions to the community will be featured on Seven News each week and culminate in the crowning of the national Editor’s Choice Award winners live on Sunrise on December 14.

It is good that News does this, I think.

Rather excessive to give a crown to the winners, as if they are the Moomba Monarch. :smiley:

Herald Sun cartoonist Mark Knight has been dragged into a new controversy, all because of his work in yesterday’s paper depicting Serena Williams’ dummy spit during the US Open women’s singles final.
64db9e2c797b44811b8d020a2aaa87df
So much so the paper wrote an editorial today defending Knight’s cartoon.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-mark-knights-cartoon-rightly-mocks-serena-williams-us-open-finals-dummyspit/news-story/bff3c329c6c706b966636620bcb21be7

It’s like they’re not even pretending to be a newspaper anymore. This looks more like the cover of Mad magazine

4 Likes

Mad magazine would be funny at least. That front page is the equivalent of a child having a tantrum. An immature and pathetic response to the criticism.

I don’t think they’re trying to be funny. I applaud the Herald Sun for taking a stand against the criticism. Good to see them standing by their employee and not bowing to the PC police.

While I’m aware of the history surrounding the negative depiction of African-Americans in the past, I just don’t get the outrage surrounding the cartoon. Call me culturally insensitive but I look at that cartoon and see a comment on behaviour. The subject’s race didn’t even enter my thinking on first glance. I honestly see no difference between the angry person depicted in that cartoon and this angry person depicted in the Fat Albert cartoon series.

52%20pm

3 Likes

For me, it is how she is drawn. He exaggerated certain features to make her look like an outdated historical stereotype. A google search finds Serena Williams cartoons by other cartoonists that are not like that.

2 Likes

I can see your point but I don’t believe it was the cartoonist’s intention to be racist. It’s a caricature not a portrait. If a cartoonist were to draw me I would expect he/she would over emphasise my nose and chin. I wouldn’t call them out for being anti-semitic because I happen to have Jewish ancestry.

3 Likes

Funny that you should mention Mad Magazine, because it’s to my understanding that Australian turned New York-based cartoonist Jason Chatfield does work for them these days.

It’d be particularly interesting to hear his opinion about the controversial Herald Sun cartoon, but probably unlikely to happen with his other major cartoon interest (that of course being Ginger Meggs) being carried by many of News Corp’s papers including the Herald Sun.

Agreed.

It’s fine that the paper backs its staff. I just think it’s sad that a newspaper feels it needs to turn its front page into a cartoon strip in order to have a tantrum, ironically which is what the original cartoon was claimed to be about.

Newspaper front pages can be iconic but this just looks childish.