News Corp Australia

News Corp’s inner west Sydney suburban free newspapers are printed on glossy stock in a magazine format, iirc, but they’re still a newspaper.

My Mum was an avid buyer of the afternoon Herald in Melbourne and never quite got over the 1990 merger. As far as she was concerned, the Herald Sun was about 95 percent Sun and 5 percent Herald.

1 Like

Realistically, I can see News Corp continuing to print newspapers at least for as long as Rupert is still alive.

Fairfax? Yeah I agree that their papers will most likely be weekend-only in five years, with the likes of the SMH and The Age probably becoming digital/online-only media outlets within ten years.

Of course I think it’s fair to say that it would be a very sad (and scary, as far as media diversity is concerned) day if and when The Daily Telegraph and The Herald Sun become the only local newspapers for Sydney & Melbourne respectively, but that’s another story.

I don’t know why Fairfax didn’t merge the AFR into the SMH and the Age a couple of years ago. They are expecting people to pay $4.00, or whatever it is these days, for what is now a very thin newspaper. And it is mostly yesterday’s news.

I used to buy all four daily newspapers, all six back when we had the afternoon papers, and both Sunday papers. These days I rarely buy a newspaper only grabbing one if I need something to read on the train, or if I notice a special article.

If The Australian is making a profit then News will probably continue it (?), if it’s not maybe it would be the first News title to feel the axe.

1 Like

Which hasn’t happened since 2008

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fairfax Media

Main points of today’s relaunch of the Sunday Herald Sun:
New layout and typeface
Sport section moves from liftout in middle of the paper to back of the paper, same with the other six days
Fiona Byrne’s Gossip Queen column replaces Confidential, moves from inside back page to near the front of the paper
Scene entertainment liftout (8 pages)

Just out of interest, any noteworthy stories in Scene?

Or any change to the TV Guide liftout?

Of course I could probably buy the paper to see these for myself but I can’t bring myself anymore to hand over any money to a Murdoch paper.

No change to the TV Guide in today’s Herald Sun.
The first issue of Scene features Blake Lively on the cover. She discusses about her new movie The Shallows in the feature article, she shot the movie at Lord Howe Island late last year.

1 Like

Pacific Magazines CEO Peter Zavecz has been appointed to the new role of managing director – Herald & Weekly Times – commercial. Zavecz began his career at HWT in 1975 as a copy clerk on The Herald newspaper. Over the course of more than two decades he held various positions at News including advertising sales director at HWT. Meanwhile, HWT executive general manager Peter Clark has been appointed executive general manager, metro and regional digital for News Digital Networks Australia. Both men will begin in their new roles on October 3.

If my memory is correct he also worked in sales at Southern Cross Network in the early 90s, at the Shepparton office when it opened prior to aggregation.

Former Ten Sydney executive general manager Louise Barrett has been appointed by News Corp to the newly created role of executive general manager of network partnerships. She will be responsible for managing the company’s key existing network client relationships, and will start the role on October 3.

The Stellar magazine was officially launched at News Corp’s annual Come Together event at Sydney’s Fox Studios last night. The company used the event to showcase the innovative concepts and marketing initiatives to more than 600 advertisers and brands. According to AdNews, News Corp launched four concepts including Food Corp (a dedicated network of NewsLifeMedia’s food brands) and News Corp Australia Media and Marketing Institute, in partnership with Melbourne Business School, to provide a program to nurture the future of marketing talent.
The institute is a great initiative and I think Fairfax can learn a thing or two from its rival.

Phil Rothfield returned to write his regular column in The Sunday Telegraph today after a four-week leave. Phil wrote News Corp’s investigation concluded that his reporting had not been compromised by his relationship with controversial punter Eddie Hayson. Phil added that he would continue his column until after the NRL Grand Final on October 2, after which he would take another long holiday.

Comedian Em Rusciano has revealed she will stop writing her weekly column for News Corp as the result of a “unkind clickbait headline” of an article last week on her appearance on Seven’s The Big Music Quiz, which has yet gone to air. The headline quoted host Darren McMullen as saying that Rusciano was “a nightmare to work with”. She wrote on her website that she had been on the brink of burnout for a few months, but the headline left her devastated.

Em Rusciano wrote on her website:

“It was apparently said in jest, he’d meant that I was a hilarious nightmare or something to that effect.”

See ya later Em, and your crappy articles. She is as guilty of writing inflammatory click-baity type shit as anyone.

Former editor of The Australian Chris Mitchell from his new book Making Headlines: Close encounters with Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/close-encounters-with-kevin-rudd-and-tony-abbott/news-story/71cd2b19f5f5deba3694902d5e3e149e

The excerpt is a very dry read. I’ll pass on reading the rest.

ACCC clears Seven West’s acquisition of West Australian media outlets

The ACCC has cleared Seven West’s (SWM) acquisition of The Sunday Times newspaper and the Perth.now.com.au website from News Limited.

News Corp Australia agreed in May to sell The Sunday Times and its PerthNow website to Seven West Media for a price believed to be in the range of $12-$15 million.

Also see:

PerthNow currently shows clips from Nine News. When Seven West Media formally buys PerthNow and The Sunday Times, that relationship will have to end. Will Nine News provide clips to Fairfax’s WAToday though?