News Corp Australia

The Sunday Herald Sun announces today it will relaunch next week with new columns by Fiona Byrne, former AFL coach Mick Malthouse and Jon Anderson. The entertainment section towards the back of the paper will become a new liftout called Scene.

It won’t affect the Telegraph in Sydney will it?

I don’t think the layout change will affect The Sunday Telegraph, given it is still popular with Sydney viewers with the sport liftout and Insider section at the back of the paper. It and the Sunday Herald Sun will still have Body & Soul and Escape liftouts, TV Guide and Stellar magazine (launching August 28).

Haven’t all News Corp Sunday papers (and indeed the Monday-Saturday papers) mostly followed the same sort of layout for some time now?

If there’s a new look to the layout of next week’s Sunday Herald Sun, I’d probably expect all of the News Corp Sunday papers to adopt elements of any new look paper in coming weeks/months.

I wonder where they got that title from?

1 Like

I wonder what that means for the CarsGuide in the Saturday papers? Maybe it will continue but under a different name?

The employment section could provide a clue. In the past few years it was called CareerOne as News Corp owned the ads website of the same name. But after News Corp sold its stake in CareerOne and formed a new agreement with Seek (see my post on June 29), it’s now called Careers section.

There’s some talk that the Herald Sun and The Age will cease printed editions all together and go digital-only. But… is a newspaper still a newspaper when it’s all-digital? Or is it just another website?

1 Like

I think you will find that the Melbourne Herald Sun will still be printed for the foreseeable future as News Corp has indicated they still believe in printed newspapers. It’s the Fairfax owned The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age that will in all likelihood cease weekday publication by the end of next year it seems.

Yes, I doubt that you can still call a digital-only publication a newspaper.

1 Like

Yeah I can’t see the Herald Sun abandoning print any time soon. It’s still a big seller.

1 Like

Wikipedia doesn’t seem to think so:

“A newspaper is usually but not exclusively printed on relatively inexpensive, low-grade paper”

Who cares what Wikipedia thinks?

4 Likes

News Corp’s inner west Sydney suburban free newspapers are printed on glossy stock in a magazine format, iirc, but they’re still a newspaper.

My Mum was an avid buyer of the afternoon Herald in Melbourne and never quite got over the 1990 merger. As far as she was concerned, the Herald Sun was about 95 percent Sun and 5 percent Herald.

1 Like

Realistically, I can see News Corp continuing to print newspapers at least for as long as Rupert is still alive.

Fairfax? Yeah I agree that their papers will most likely be weekend-only in five years, with the likes of the SMH and The Age probably becoming digital/online-only media outlets within ten years.

Of course I think it’s fair to say that it would be a very sad (and scary, as far as media diversity is concerned) day if and when The Daily Telegraph and The Herald Sun become the only local newspapers for Sydney & Melbourne respectively, but that’s another story.

I don’t know why Fairfax didn’t merge the AFR into the SMH and the Age a couple of years ago. They are expecting people to pay $4.00, or whatever it is these days, for what is now a very thin newspaper. And it is mostly yesterday’s news.

I used to buy all four daily newspapers, all six back when we had the afternoon papers, and both Sunday papers. These days I rarely buy a newspaper only grabbing one if I need something to read on the train, or if I notice a special article.

If The Australian is making a profit then News will probably continue it (?), if it’s not maybe it would be the first News title to feel the axe.

1 Like

Which hasn’t happened since 2008

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fairfax Media

Main points of today’s relaunch of the Sunday Herald Sun:
New layout and typeface
Sport section moves from liftout in middle of the paper to back of the paper, same with the other six days
Fiona Byrne’s Gossip Queen column replaces Confidential, moves from inside back page to near the front of the paper
Scene entertainment liftout (8 pages)

Just out of interest, any noteworthy stories in Scene?

Or any change to the TV Guide liftout?

Of course I could probably buy the paper to see these for myself but I can’t bring myself anymore to hand over any money to a Murdoch paper.