Nine Publishing

What year was it last televised and by what station?

Turns out Nine did some coverage yesterday. Sunrise did very sparse coverage last year. No idea when it was last broadcast in full. Ten did it for a few years, and before that Seven in Sydney broadcast in full for many years.

1 Like

According to Mumbrella, Fairfax has launched a new subscriber-only website called Subscribers First, which provide readers with a twice-daily curated version of the content from The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald (updated at midnight and midday AEST), with plans to potentially offer readers exclusive content in the future. Subscribers can also access the ‘Today’s Paper’, an interactive digital version of current and archive issues of the SMH and The Age.

The Traveller liftout will be added to The Sunday Age from August 21. In the past few years it has been inserted in The Sun-Herald only on Sundays, as well as The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald on Saturdays. I reckon the move is to counter the relaunch of the Sunday Herald Sun on the same day.

Realistically how long after the end of the print versions would all-digital Fairfax news websites keep names like The Sydney Morning Herald on a digital-only website that is 24/7?

I can’t see the name changing. The Australian Women’s Weekly has been monthly for over 30 years.

1 Like

yeah but it can’t really be called the Australian Women’s Monthly without all the period jokes :smiley:

Good Weekend will publish its first ever glossy issue tomorrow (Saturday) with the Design and Innovation edition. The edition features a cover by Mercedes-Benz to mark the launch of the all-new E-Class.

Has the weekday cover price of The Age gone up? If so, what was it previously and now?

The Age’s weekday cover price is $2.80. I think it must have gone up sometime in the last month because it was $2.50 in September.

1 Like

It must’ve gone up for the first week of October because the air freighted price went up just last week. But not by thirty cents, SEVENTY cents!

I asked the newsagent this morning and he said The Age increased its cover price to $2.80 last Monday, October 3.

On another matter, The Australian reports today on high level talks between Nine Entertainment Company and Fairfax. According to the article, one pitch drafted by investment bankers that would not require media reform involved Fairfax spinning off assets, such as its events business, its Stan stake and its 54.5 per cent interest in radio group Macquarie Media, into Nine in exchange for an ­equity stake in the free-to-air and digital company. Fairfax would retain its Domain property listings business, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review.
If the deal is approved, Fairfax will give up ownership of the iconic City to Surf and other events like Good Food Month to NEC and will have to find new revenue sources.

1 Like

Nine sold it’s event business Nine Live, so why would they want to acquire another event business?

According to Radio Today, Judith Whelan, who has been editor of The Sydney Morning Herald for just eight months, will quit the paper to join the ABC as head of spoken content, overseeing ABC Radio’s flagship programs within the Capital City radio network, Grandstand and Radio National. She will start in her new role on November 7.

More lefty rubbish then, clear what they wanted hiring her. The SMH has been plummeting towards irrelevance long before her, but she made no attempt to arrest the nosedive.

1 Like

The money from Nine Live was used to strengthen the business. Admittedly, I would have preferred the events division to have been retained but the company has reduced debt and has more cash to invest in its future.

Could be a way to re-enter the industry. Nine Entertainment needs to be more than just Free TV, but only the right businesses, not just any reason to diversify. The right opportunities, brands and delivering value to succeed.

Fairfax’s Metro Media Publications will slash reporters and production staff at the nine Weekly Review suburban titles in Melbourne, with production outsourced to AAP Pagemasters and 16 journalists made redundant next month. The Weekly Review will continue to move towards lifestyle publishing as opposed to local news.

Hilarious

I think Albury is right, perhaps Hamilton?

The Age tablet app has won the prize for best tablet app in Asia at the Asia Digital Media Awards last night. The awards are organised by WAN-IFRA, the World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers.

Still not turning a profit anywhere near what newspapers did. Fairfax are great at self inflicted death.