News Corp Australia

The Sunday Telegraph invited personalities from Nine shows to guest edit today’s edition. They include:
Lisa Wilkinson - news
Karl Stefanovic - opinion
Sonia Kruger - Insider (entertainment section)
Sylvia Jeffreys - Body & Soul
David Campbell - Stellar magazine
Steve Jacobs and Natalia Cooper - Escape
Richard Wilkins, Scott Cam, Tim Gilbert and Ross Greenwood also wrote columns in today’s paper.

Eddie McGuire on The Footy Show mentioned on Thursday he was guest editing the sports section in today’s Sunday Herald Sun.

“invited” perhaps meaning “the Nine Network threw a s***load of cash to News Corp so that their celebs could do some publicity for their respective shows?”

I can’t see News Corp (or any outlet) doing this sort of thing out of charity. It will be as product placement surely.

3 Likes

When I glanced at the front page of the Tele this morning I saw the pic of the Today team and misread one of the words. Interesting that all the real news got relegated to later pages, not counting the advertising wrap around and no real news even on pages two or three, when this lot got their hands on the publication.

The real editor probably didn’t think they could stuff up too much when he let them loose on his newspaper for a few hours on Friday. He was wrong. <sarcasm, mostly>.

Peter Hitchener was also mentioned in a news report the other night.

Walkley award-winning journalist Dan Box has returned to Britain with his family after five years as national crime reporter for The Australian. His last major work was the six-part vodcast The Queen and Zak Grieve, which will make its pay TV premiere on Crime + Investigation channel on September 27.

Are the freebies and heavily discounted subscriptions counted?

1 Like

Adelaide Advertiser editor Sam Weir has been appointed the new editor of The Courier-Mail, replacing Lachlan Heywood, who will be leaving News Corp after over twenty years with the organisation.

Wonder where he’s going…

Veteran Herald Sun entertainment reporter Luke Dennehy will finish up soon, after nearly two decades.

Sad news.

1 Like

Reading that note he seems contented with his decision, rather than sad.

1 Like

Looks like there will be big changes at the Herald Sun. There is a small ad in today’s Switched On TV liftout that it will merge with Thursday’s Hit entertainment liftout to become Hit + TV, which is similar to the current Hit supplement in The Advertiser on Thursdays. It has movie and music reviews, celebrity interviews and a 7-day TV guide.

1 Like

Everything is shrinking.

I used to almost need a crane to lift my Saturday newspaper. Now if I ever pick it up it looks like most of it is missing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I purchase this for Leigh Paatsch’s movie reviews.

He’s also on 3AW radio Weekend Break.

He also does the movies on TV previews in the Sunday Herald Sun’s “TV Guide” liftout.

2 Likes

Sort of back to the future… the weekly TV guide started as “Sun Leisure” on Thursdays in The Sun in the 1980s. I think it covered other entertainment as well before they split the TV guide to a separate lift out on Wednesdays.

Still remember the ‘good old days’ when The Saturday Age weighed almost a kilo and came in two parts!

2 Likes

I remember buying the Los Angeles Times on a weekend in the late 1980s and the edition was so big it was distributed tied with string so it wouldn’t fall apart.

The days of the super thick The Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday and The Sun-Herald on Sunday, when both were massive sellers, way ahead of what News were putting out, is a long gone memory for me. Haven’t bought either paper for sometime. I have however purchased The Australian on a Monday on the odd occasion for the Media section.

2 Likes

The Australian launched its Chinese-language website today (cn.theaustralian.com.au), featuring curated coverage from the paper in simplified Chinese and updated on weekdays. Unlike the original website which requires paid subscription, the Chinese site is free to all to read.

That’s how they suck you in, before putting it behind a paywall.

The Great Wall?