News Breakfast

2 Likes

An investigation by ABC Ombudsman found the broadcaster did not breach its standards for for due impartiality and diversity of perspectives, after receiving 25 complaints regarding Bridget saying “always was, always will be Aboriginal land” during the live cross.

1 Like

Monday (19.02.024): Stephanie Ferrier presenting the weather today. Emma Rebellato is reporting from Adelaide for Fringe.

Wednesday (21.02.2024):

Bridget Brennan is co-hosting with Michael, as Lisa is filming for Back Roads. With Tony off sick, no dedicated sport presenter.

Thursday (22.02.2024):

Bridget Brennan co-hosting with Michael. Michael Rennie presenting sport from Brisbane.

3 Likes

Important news on News Breakfast as well.

Friday (23.02.2024):

Margaret Paul is filling in for Bridget today.

3 Likes

Revolving Door Spinning GIF - Revolving Door Spinning Thats Classic - Discover & Share GIFs

Monday (26.02.2024) - Thursday (29.02.2024):

Bridget Brennan is co-hosting with Michael this week, with Lisa still on assignment.

Charles Brice is presenting Monday sport from Adelaide.

Friday (01.03.2024): Bridget Brennan is still co-hosting with Michael. Charles Brice doing sport from Adelaide. Nate is presenting the weather from Sydney ahead of Mardi Gras.

3 Likes
3 Likes

what makes the news breakfast studios so dull? is it the type of screens or the actual image? the lighting?

1 Like

I imagine trying to light a set that is predominantly glossy black is a significant challenge, you can see in the first wide shot the struggle to balance lighting the presenters up vs reflections in the floor and windows, over-exposing the set pieces etc.

When you look at behind the scenes shots in the Sunrise studio you realise just how much light is needed to produce a bright/vibrant image on-screen. And if you’re going to use that much light you need non-reflective surfaces, light colours that can handle it, brighter accent lighting/screens etc.

4 Likes

First post! While reading through posts on ABC Breakfast, I was interested in some of the misconceptions about Fauziah Ibrahim’s non-appearance for 3 months last year on Weekend Breakfast. Fauziah had to take leave to look after her ageing mother 9presumably in Malaysia).Thus the continuous rotating co-hosts with Kathryn Robinson as the constant anchor. It was not that Fauziah was being “relieved” to avoid controversy whilst the referendum was alive. I highly suspect that her mother’s welfare may be the reason why she has been missing again for the last 3 weeks and being replaced by Dan Bourchier. However, this weekend Johanna Nicholson returns after maternity leave, a situation which is going to cause a staffing dilemma as three presenters (Kath, Fauziah, Jo) does not neatly fit into two roles! I also agree with various comments about Kath, She is the glue that holds this program together … by the sheer weight of her personality.

4 Likes

Welcome to MediaSpy Fauziah. :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Ha Ha !! No, I’m not an apologist for Fauziah, who has a tendency to dig herself into a hole from time to time. But I am a great fan of Kathryn, who is the ABC’s “Girl Friday”. She is their most versatile female presenter, who has the ability to work well with anyone and bring the best out of her co-hosts. Quoting another versatile (male) presenter in Jeremy Fernandez … “Kath is an over-achiever”. So I want Kath to retain her role on Weekend Breakfast and it doesn’t matter who her co-host is, because she will make it work. Kath endured a bruising 2023, firstly inexplicably “losing” her role as “The Business” presenter in the middle of the year, and then watching the demise of “The Drum”, a presenter role that she clearly loved and suited her journalistic talents and ambitions. So I think the ABC has painted itself into a corner with Kath, Fauziah and Jo … which two are going to emerge as the permanent presenters? I can’t see the ABC sacking anyone, not with the messy media furore and expense surrounding the controversy over Antoninette Lattouf!

The presenters for this weekend’s Weekend Breakfast have suddenly changed with Jo And Fauziah replacing Kath! I am absolutely gob-smacked! I can only hope that this is an aberration, but I fear that it could be permanent. Quite frankly, this program is deadly dull without Kath’s energy and engaging manner. Both Jo and Fauziah have failed in the past to develop any chemistry … together they are a boring duo. And what is to become of Kath? There are so few roles left at the ABC which suit her presenter/journalistic talents. She has demonstrated resilience in the past, but this will test her. When Kath “lost” her role as presenter of “The Business” in the middle of last year, she tweeted that she was taking 6 months leave, and she simultaneously installed her profile on Linkedin, clearly advertising her qualifications and experience for a job. Subsequently Kath was given the Weekend Breakfast hosting role which has continued until now. Maybe she will now take that leave? Watch this space …

1 Like

Why? They’re the main presenters? Kath is a casual who fills in as needed.

1 Like

Kath is presenting on the news channel today

Yes, Jo and Fauziah have been the main presenters, but they haven’t been together since the middle of the year, at which stage Kath became the mainstay of the program. In any case you don’t get to occupy a position ad infinitum, especially when a particular combination is patently not working. And yes, Kath’s versatility means she is a reliable chess piece who can plug holes in the ABC chessboard of programs. But she is hardly a “casual”, as she has been a full-time employee of the ABC since 2015. We all know that the ABC is in a state of chaos at the moment for a myriad of reasons. The ABC would always publish a list of presenters for the coming year at the end of January. They have failed to do so this year, but we have gleaned that Morning News will be presented by Gemma Veness (Mon- Wed) and Dan Bourchier (Th-Fri), while Afternoon News will be Ros Childs (Mon-Wed) and Ruby Cornish (Th-Fri). This schedule has already broken down, the only constant being Gemma. So really there is no hard and fast presenter schedule for this year. The ABC had an opportunity to right the Weekend Breakfast ship, but they baulked and opted for the status quo.

Because Jo has been on maternity leave? Kath is just second in line and became the anchor during that period. Not being mean but I don’t think you know what you are on about.

2 Likes

Can you please use paragraphs? :smiley:

As mentioned previously Jo is back from maternity leave on Weekend Breakfast and has taken up her position on the right of the desk (from our view) but sitting on the left is… Kath Robinson! No Fauziah.

Jarred Coote is on sport.

4 Likes