Newcastle Radio

As far as I can still see, Jackson is listed as on air for Newfm on their website. Can anyone confirm this? I have had a flick around and have not heard him but maybe an extended leave?

3 Likes

He’s listed as their Hollywood Reporter.

4 Likes

I heard this morning on air, NEW FM have a new studio phone number it’s 4967 4105, not sure why they got rid of the 13 10 09 number, maybe as it’d be costing them a heap of money for no use?
Most or all mobile plans cost extra to call a 13 number now, so even someone interstate can call the 4967 4105 number for free (included in their plan), but a local, next door to the studio, it’ll cost them & NEW FM to call the 13 10 09 number.

Wonder if 2HD/2SM will change the Super Network talkback number as well now, from 13 1269 to something else, maybe the 2HD local studio number 49 60 1143?

6 Likes

That’s interesting. Is it part of their “As Local As” campaign to show they’re truly Newcastle? (Which I think is a brilliant way to tackle SCA).

First thing I’d do to save money is make Laws’ number 13 12 69. I don’t get why he needs 1300
JOHN LAWS.

4 Likes

It’s not really a ‘new’ number as such, they used 4967 4105 before they used 13 10 09.

Maybe it was easier for call routing so that NEW FM callers weren’t being directed to the FM Super Network line when NEW was local?

I actually prefer the use of a local number, it gives the station more of a local feel.

I imagine the FM Super Network still uses the 13 10 09 number.

5 Likes

He doesn’t.

It’s a ridiculously long number, if there actually is eight digits after the 1300 prefix.

Those words as numbers are a joke, stupid and very USA. Laws has never been a fan himself.

Love the 13 10 09 number as a nice reminder when the FM network was quality out of Lismore with local breaks for ZZZ through the day and proper night and overnight programs.

Agree for NEW, it’s fantastic to return to a local number, all stations deserve a local number.

7 Likes

I think it’s great they have changed their phone number. It does add to that aspect of localism. But what happens on weekends when network programming comes out of Newcastle?

3 Likes

Local phone number as NEW air their own talk breaks during networking.

At least they had been for many years, is that practice continuing.

2 Likes

So came the old Pacific Highway yesterday from Lake Haven thru to Charlestown.
Is it just me or is all the Newcastle AM stations just rubbish around Swansea and Belmont? Even on the M1 past Morriset the signals are awful. Way too noisy.

4 Likes

I find 1233 ABC Newcastle and 1512 Radio National are OK except when near powerlines, but yes the others can be scratchy.

2 Likes

Triple M’s Steve Grahame has been suspended following an alleged incident at the Australian Commercial Radio Awards in Sydney last month. Steve and co-host Tanya Wilks had picked up Best On-Air Team (Provincial) at the ACRAs on the night he is accused of inappropriate behaviour. SCA confirmed an investigation was underway.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/triple-m-newcastles-steve-grahame-stood-down-amid-inappropriate-behaviour-allegation/news-story/511fef41025931627eeb27228825d8f4

3 Likes

Based on (more than just) recent Newcastle surveys, it must be said that the strategy used for 2HD & NewFM is clearly not working.

They’re not really blocking anyone/anything and are really just sitting steady - survey after survey.

How long will Bill (or the local BOG Newcastle stations) put up with this mediocre result before making any serious competitive change to the stations?

4 Likes

I was surprised to see that Richard King from 2HD is networked on 2SM in Sydney

http://2smsupernetwork.com/

2 Likes

It’s been like that ever since he bought 2HD & NEW in the late 1990s… so over 20 years already… I don’t think he’ll ever change.

5 Likes

The AM network breakfast has come from 2HD since Marcus got the boot, 12 months or more ago.

5 Likes

It really puts BOG in the same basket as SCA.

For a market the size of Sydney, you really do need announcers to broadcast live from Sydney.

A part of me is hoping BOG gives Marcus a second chance. He seemed very proactive with what he was doing at the station and with his program.

And I am sure 2HD would also really like to have their own local brekkie show back as well.

3 Likes

Maybe when Bill passes, and new owners purchases New fm / 2HD then these stations may become competitive.

Bill won’t make any major format changes to these stations, even if the ratings drop to ridiculously low levels. He will just take them out of the ratings and possibly use them for providing more network content across their respective networks, like 2SM does today.

Until Bill ceases to own New / 2HD the status quo will remain, and SCA will win by default.

To be honest SCA doesn’t really need to do any local promotions / competitions during Newcastle surveys, it is a waste of money when the competition is so weak.

8 Likes

RAGING WATERS SYDNEY - NEWFM

According to the NewFM competition page (above), they are still using their 13 10 09 studio number.

2 Likes

Meg from New FM’S Novos has announced she is stepping down from the show. She will remain with the station hosting afternoons in the new year. And so the revolving door and musical chairs at New continue.

2 Likes

Wow. Let’s hope they have a strong replacement ready.

1 Like