Newcastle Radio

It will be interesting to see, however will NEW pay for a good replacement?

It’s the latest departure or shake up for their line-up. If I remember correctly NEWFM line-up site has seen Lizzie, Matt, Jackson and Brandon all be wiped. What is going on at NEW? Will they surprise us with a 2023 all star line-up? I do doubt it but I will be keeping my eye out to see what their move is.

5 Likes

This is a good question. What happened at NEWFM in 2022? Mass exodus.

1 Like

Lizzie went home to Perth, Matt went home to Sydney, Jackson fulfilled his long time dream and moved to LA and I’ve been told by a reliable source that Brandon was offered another roll and turned it down.

4 Likes

Welcome @Newy1 are you connected with Newy 878?

2 Likes

My prediction is NewFM will just promote their workday announcer Tyler to co-host The Novo’s at breakfast.

3 Likes

This is a good prediction!

2 Likes

Lizzie and Matt are both with SCA (Perth and Sydney respectively). From all accounts on Instagram, Jackson is living his best life in LA, and good for him too. Brandon was shafted from weekends in favour of Kelly Glover, so he apparently resigned. I’ve heard too he was offered Power FM Ballarat workdays but turned it down over start date issues? He’s now with Sky News I think. Would be good to see all four of them back on the airwaves at some stage soon!

4 Likes

Well seeing as we are all discussing NEWFM lineups, what’s everyones NEWFM dream lineup from breakfast to workday to nights. What would see them grab the audience, let’s fantasy football this. maybe they need some brainstorm help. Past, present, and never beens on the station. I’ll start, Sophie Tiller did a short stint on breakfast from memory, I think she would do a great drive show - 3pm pickupesque.

2 Likes

Done. Sophie Tiller & Krivo for Breakfast, and Newcastle’s Best Rock all day (it’s up to them if they want to still take Kate, Tim & Joel 5-7pm, but I’d get rid of K&J’s Hour of Power and lose the female-skewed tracks from the playlist.

The rest of the network can still use the usual 80’s to Now format.

4 Likes

was a great station in the 90s rivalled triple m back in the day doesnt matter what there lineups are like if there playlist is shit

6 Likes

So predictable.

4 Likes

Poor Tyler, she will hate that promo photo.

5 Likes

Predictable and sadly just another wasted opportunity for NEWFM to seize the moment and make the changes they could to truly make ground in the market.

5 Likes

Some comments on NewFM’s Facebook page mention that Meg will be hosting local drive 2-5pm in 2023 (I’m assuming followed by KTJ and K&J).

[Broken record alert!!]

I think the Triple M Perth music format would do extremely well on NewFM.

“Newcastle’s Real Alternative” would rattle the opposition a bit - especially considering NewFM has the power to change its logs as it wishes to remain competitive.

Some seriously big un-tapped potential at NewFM and 2HD.

On a different topic, according to their page here, Contacts - NEWFM, NewFM’s Studio/Comp Phone is 49674 105 (but the bottom of their website still says 13 10 09).

5 Likes

Whoever is running New-fm needs to have a good look in the mirror. It’s just a big merry go round of presenters, and the station has just lost their way. Nothing against Tyler, she’s great! But there is so much talent across the country to choose from.

8 Likes

Is anyone running Newfm? From the outside looking in it’s like someone has gotten sidetracked and let the game of Tetris run by itself on their gameboy, each time a row falls one of their jocks fall into breakfast and every rating period is a ‘good try, but you didn’t beat the high score’.

5 Likes

Brilliant comparison.

If they can make the effort to run two shows at once (ie- one for Newcastle and one for the network), then how hard can it be to run two separate logs? (ie- one music log for Newcastle and one music log for the network).

So long as the network feed is happy, I’m sure Bill wouldn’t mind what they did locally.

Does Bill even know they record two separate shifts?

If you can’t win on talent & can’t win on big comps/promos, then you can at least try to win based on music.

As I mentioned earlier, “Newcastle’s Real Alternative” has a good ring to it.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that I’d even say “good try”.

It’s like senior management and the owners either accept mediocrity, don’t care or aren’t prepared to invest in the station…. That to me isn’t trying hard enough.

3 Likes

It’s just so funny watching this website. Constantly attacking the bigger networks for a lack of localism. yet you come to the biggest provincial market in the country, and the networks are the ones investing in good talent, embedding them into market, doing excellent local content and genuinely connecting with local people whilst the one key competitor in market pays its breakfast hosts peanuts and puts no investment into market - whilst this competitor runs endless promos about how ‘Newcastle’ they are and attacking how Hit/MMM “aren’t locals”. Good content wins always. It’s about balance and good stuff. Hope a few fools on this forum realise that when it comes to their comments on other markets.

2 Likes

SCA don’t really “invest” in most msrkets - it’s one local shift only and networked for the other 21 hours a day.

SCA struggle when there is decent competition such as the Central Coast and Gold Coast - they have the bottom 2 commercials there and struggle in metro markets particularly with Triple M.

10 Likes