Newcastle Radio

They spun it as an FM conversion, but the licence was brand new and had no relationship to the 4MB licence. The 4MB licence just changed its callsign to 4FC. It wasn’t an “FM conversion” per se like 4GG for example. Just smoke and mirrors. Also they never even ID’d as 4MB-FM, unlike 4MK or 4CA when they did something similar. They might have ID’d as Mix 103.5 4MB for a very short time. Regardless the Sea FM licence was still a supplementary licence to 4MB/4FC, not 4MBB (Mix/now Triple M).

2 Likes

New Fm have done an imaging rebrand so it seems. Their news intro is a kookaburra laughing. No indication it’s a news bulletin whatsoever. Bit odd and sound terrible.

2 Likes

Same as Hot Tomato Gold

2 Likes

Personally you’d think you’d just sell 2HD and 2NM onward to just have a KIIS network station in both markets, rather than having 2HD.

I suppose if 2HD can wrangle an actual FM conversion it might be a different situation.

1 Like

Hot Tomato have used it for years. Must have missed that memo?

2 Likes

Can someone post some highlights here?

Still using the same male VO?

1 Like

New female VO, and using two male VOs. One is Dan King I think. I’ve heard him on K Rock Geelong.

4 Likes

Not a fan personally of the Kookaburra sound effect

1 Like

Hopefully they’ve ditched the singing “1053 NEWFM” which would practically play in every break.

2 Likes

No that’s still there. I know a few announcers opt to ditch it every break because of its repetition.

3 Likes

new fm frustrates me bring back the old station from the 90s it was a great station would give sydneys triple m a run for its money back in the 90s if it was in the same market

5 Likes

I’ve said it many times before. NewFM and B-Rock need to share logs and formats. Let the rest of the network do it’s 80’s to Now JackFM rubbish.

4 Likes

Agree!

“The Original 105 point 3 NEW FM” in the Ray McGregor voiceover is stuck in my head now!

I recall Triple M in Sydney copied that “The Original” tag when 2DAY FM tried to go head to head with them.

3 Likes

According to instagram, there has been 2 resignations this week from newfm. Casual announcer Brandon Atkins and mornings announcer Jackson Brunner has indicated his off to USA. Seems to have been quite a few resignations there lately. 5 or 6 in the last 6 months IIRC? Toxic work culture? management issues?

6 Likes

From my understanding it has been a long term goal of Jackson’s to move to the US, so that news comes as no surprise. Not sure about Brandon, I actually can’t recall ever hearing him on air. Maybe he was just a fill in? Only other person I know has left NEWFM this year was Matty from The Novos, and he apparently scored a Network anchor gig with SCA. The audio I heard of his exit, he was actually quite saddened to leave the station. So I don’t see anything sinister @tdenyer1990. To be honest, I just think it’s the industry in general at the moment. Lots of movement.

3 Likes

Not sure what’s happened or why Brandon has left, he gave up his successful (but unpaid) Friday evening gig on CoastFM Gosford to do NEWFM, after also leaving ARN Sydney (The Edge).
He was on NEWFM weekends, doing most weekends (Sundays mostly I think), I think he also did NEWFM nights through the week, but don’t know if that was live or automated voice tracked?

Wonder if he’s going to come back to CoastFM?

Brandon’s gone off the NEWFM web site now too, but Jackson’s still on there for now.

2 Likes

IIRC Brandon did Sunday Mornings and roughly every couple of Saturdays too. Dare I say public holidays as well.

i has a look on his linked in page, and he is still at ARN Sydney casually producing on Wsfm.

I’ve heard him a few times. Good talent. Hope he pops up somewhere else.

4 Likes

Did I read earlier that NewFM Workday jock Jackson was leaving?

According to their website, he is still listed on-air.

4 Likes

His Instagram says he moves to LA on August 27th.

4 Likes

Yesterday was his last day on air.

4 Likes