New Zealand TV

It’s to my understanding that the very news-intensive metropolitan areas of Sydney & Melbourne each have a slightly larger population than the entire country of New Zealand.

While neither of Australia’s two largest media markets have dedicated 24 hour local news channel, I don’t think the chances of NZ having one again are particularly high.

1 Like

Three showed a quick PSA during the Oprah interview:

2 Likes

News only rates when there’s a big event. They’re better off financially to stick with the status quo and break into regular programming when necessary.

While there is an appetite for 24 hour news, it isn’t sustainable on TV. Internet-media is the way to go for 24 hour news in a nation like NZ.

9 Likes

Huge ratings for the Oprah interview on Three last night, averaging 259,700 viewers and reaching 935,100 across the country:

2 Likes

The Amazing Race Australia is rating OK on 10 but not so well across the Tasman. So much so it is moving to Friday nights as of this week (March 12).

1 Like

I just saw Hilary Barry posted some new figures from TVNZ and I have found their Year in Review in Numbers. You can see the PDF here.

3 Likes

Quite a sad state of affairs when even Saturday night programming is having to be dropped. I suspect Mom and Young Sheldon were on their last chance at primetime, I only recently noticed they were on Saturdays.

Reach always feels a bit misleading but it provides better numbers which are probably quite important now.

This is always a bit of a small snapshot as to how some of the shows are rating these days.
Wellington Paranormal only getting 102,100 while Q & A gets 97,800

2 Likes

Anyone else noticed The Cafe on three has disappeared, can’t see any listings on ThreeNow or on the TVGuide.

1 Like

Yep the website is not going to anything and the email media@thecafe.co.nz bounces back. Seems like it has gone for good… maybe Carly Flynn didn’t want filming in her lounge to be long term…

2 Likes

Yeah, just tried the email for myself. Not much of loss to be honest. I guess trying to replicate Good Morning wasn’t a good idea after all.

@theGradyConnell @nztv The Cafe has been on our screens in the 9-10am slot for five years (2016-2020) and will not be returning this year.

1 Like

Gosh I love Breeze TV. They throw in so many off beat classics. Currently playing “Thankyou For Being a Friend” film clip. Never seen it before.

3 Likes

Just saw a Choice TV promo on Three during Newshub Late. I guess there will be more cross promotion as time goes on.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t it make sense to have choice & HGTV live streams on the 3 now app for online viewing ??

Was the promo in HD, do you know?

The +HR=E Now promo they air on HGTV looks like they were sent a .wmv file and just aired it, it looks that pixellated!

I think it’s a work in progress kind of thing, the app needs a major overhaul. Hopefully they appear later in the year.

I’m not 100% sure but it looked HD to me. The picture quality in general is shite on Choice, just waiting for them swap with The Edge TV.

2 Likes

Just posted a flashback from this time last year over the coverage of New Zealand moving to Alert Level 4 from both 6pm bulletins

2 Likes

Great news for Wellington Paranormal, which has been acquired by The CW and HBO Max and will be shown to American viewers.

1 Like

Not sure if Discovery have given Three more marketing money or they’ve just upped their game but the new 7 DAYS / NZ Today ad is great

https://www.facebook.com/ThreeNewZealand/posts/10157600916572001

2 Likes

TVNZ 1 & 2 to simulcast the return of Popstars on April 12:

2 Likes