New Zealand TV

I’m pretty sure the “Always something good” jingle was unique to Prime NZ, because Nine’s main jingle/slogan was (of course) “Still The One” back in 2003-04.

1 Like

I only had the short one on VHS (It’s on that link I posted above).

Pretty much everything I had of Prime up until 2006 went on that YouTube video. Maybe someone else out there, somewhere, has an old VCR with a bunch of old tapes in their garage? Probably in Hamilton, Monster Garage was on about then, they’d have loved that.

1 Like

There’s a collection here

2 Likes

I wish you had the longer version, your probably right it is sitting somewhere in someone’s garage gathering dust. Its interesting as @SydneyCityTV pointed out that it was uniquely used for Prime in NZ, it shows they really wanted a return on their NZ investment, a shame it didn’t quite work out.

3 Likes

Speaking of Prime, I wonder if there was an ident for Southland? Or was the closest thing to it Dunedin’s one?

1 Like

Don’t 18+ movies airs at 9:30pm?

There’s one at 8:30pm tonight:

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like they should be. Might be a mis-type in the guide.

“Content classified 16 content may only be broadcast after 8.30pm and content classified 18 may only be broadcast after 9.30pm”

1 Like

Are all channels required to use these new classifications because Southern Television in Dunedin still uses the old ones even though they regularly play that Safe Viewing advert (featuring How to Dad) showing the new ones

1 Like
1 Like

Speaking of classifications… I caught the start of 8 out of ten cats does countdown on tvnz2 on Friday and by 7.37pm already got a “fu*king…” from a comedian.

Swearing on tv doesn’t phase me but even I thought it was a big naughty for that hour. Rated 16L

1 Like

@Leotv @medianz Eric Kearley, who had worked at TVNZ when he launched both TVNZ 6 & 7, was right. We’re a small country and we simply don’t have enough news to fill a 24-hour news channel. If we tried to run one, we’d inevitably end up padding it out with content from CNN or BBC World News, and that would be a waste of time from a viewers’ point of view.

4 Likes

I doubt there will ever be a 24 hour news channel here.

If there was going to be one it would have been around when TVNZ was first trying to go digital in the early 2000s.

We had high hopes that TVNZ7 might deliver something and that’s probably as close as we’ll ever get.

Now in a digital news environment, online will come first as a priority for new investment rather than a linear channel.

8 Likes

Wasn’t that what pretty much Sky News was when it first launched? Mainly content from BBC and CNN with some One News thrown in there?

1 Like

@LiamP Sky News, in fact, began at 6am on the morning of Friday 18 May 1990 when Sky Television launched. Here’s a piece of information courtesy of the NZ Listener.

News buffs who subscribed to Sky would welcome the steady diet of hot information, but the channel would show its domestic American origins - it was not the international CNN news channel which Sky originally wanted to buy.

That international channel was beamed out of Atlanta to Europe and South America and would not reach the Pacific satellite which fed New Zealand, according to Allan Martin, Sky’s executive director in charge of the news channel at the time.

The international news which formed a regular part of the CNN feed was, in any case, boosted by Sky’s insertion of two BBC news bulletins daily.

News viewers would also have to get used to the upside-down sense of time. The “Daybreak” news programme would screen at midnight NZ time, the “CNN Evening News” from Atlanta at 2.30pm NZ time, “CNN Sports Tonight” at 3.30pm NZ time. The week’s end wrap-up of sports, news, science and so on would be seen here during the early hours of Monday morning rather than in the Sunday daytime slots it is geared to for US viewers.

Because the news channel was a US domestic programme, commercial spots would be built in. Equipment at the Warkworth satellite station would enable these spots to be replaced with Sky’s own channel promotions.

By the end of 1991, the Sky News channel carried a replay of One Network News (at 6pm) in the 8.30pm slot.

1 Like

What a load of bull. The amount of news being generated in NZ is sustainable and a population of 5 million also proves otherwise. So much news has happened in the past 2 years makes it worthwhile. Sure we had an opportunity with TVNZ 7 but that was lost due to the previous government. For anything TVNZ or Three would be looking at News Streaming such as CBSN, ABC News Live or NBC News Now for inspiration.

1 Like

Let me guess… There is likely to be some strong ratings for the Oprah interview tonight airing on Three.

1 Like

I don’t know. I’d suspect so but it feels so delayed. The news angles are already well advanced on follow ups and yet Three will be going back to step one tonight with the original content.

4 Likes

If a Country of Singapore can have a 24/7 news channel then can not see why not NZ.

1 Like

Instead of have ads in the night why cant they just play BBC News or CNN News with a few ads

1 Like

Yeah but Singapore is a country that its, no offence, important. NZ is not ‘important’ enough to warrant one. And as was said somewhere above, there is not the market for it.

Singapore’s population is 5,850,342, whereas NZ’s is 4.917 million.

2 Likes