New Zealand TV

On that note, are all other main channels in NZ in HD?

According to an interview Martin Stewart gave on NewsTalk ZB this morning, TVNZ will have both live and delayed coverage though the exact details are still to be worked out

Might be Prime Plus 1!lol

1 Like

Oh, donā€™t! Just donā€™t! :grinning:

1 Like

More or less;

HD
TVNZ1
TVNZ2
TVNZDuke
+HR=E
+HR=E Life
Whakata Maori / Maori Television
Te Reo

Only missing were really Prime, Choice and I guess Bravo. The rest are really to niche or too miserly to bother with (or radio).

1 Like

Three in a rowā€¦ sorry. Had a look in the Historic Thread but couldnā€™t see any generic NZ page (only one for TV3) and as I canā€™t start threads, Iā€™m dumping these hereā€¦

Iā€™ve spent the last four months on and off compiling bits of NZ TV from old VHS Tapes, mainly from the 1990s, of which you can now see on YouTube.

TV One, TV2, TV3, TV4, Prime, and a Few Others (CTV, Cry TV, Some older logo BBC World and some SKY TV ads).
Or spend about an hour watching all six in succession here (hopefully).

Iā€™ve some more footage from more recent times, but as thereā€™s plenty of that on YouTube already, I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll bother uploading it.

Enjoy!

Admins, if you feel like it, you can make a thread in History and chuck this there.

2 Likes

Only had a chance to watch the TV1 version thus far.

What was the audio being played over the top of the One logo right at the end of the first montage (before the 96-99 look)? Sounded like a radio station?

The Together Weā€™re One song still gets stuck in my head on occasion now! Would be far too cheesy to come back now of course, but I still love it.

Yep, tell me about itā€¦ but ā€œTogether weā€™re Oneā€'s got nothing on Primeā€™s ā€œThis is where we liveā€ for earworminess.

I think the radio station would have been National Radio (as it was then). The recording didnā€™t last long enough to hear a station ID, but from that one and another, where they played some song from the 1940ā€™s, I doubt it would be anything else, even at that time of night.

2 Likes

So Prime is officially (finally) broadcasting in HD on Freeview: http://www.screenscribe.net/channels/prime-to-go-hd-on-freeview/ and will finally join Freeview LIVE streaming this Friday!!

2 Likes

A dying business buying an all-but-dead one. What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

Economies of scale, co-productions etc. Makes sense.

4 Likes

It also means Sevenā€™s programs which are scattered across several NZ channels (e.g. My Kitchen Rules, Home and Away) can be consolidated at one place.
It will affect Sevenā€™s collaboration with TVNZ however. One Lane Bridge could be the last co-production between Seven and TVNZ.

It would also make Seven even more ā€˜attractiveā€™ for a potential buyer if itā€™s put up for sale itself in the future

1 Like

So do we assume Three would be rebranded as 7?

Would we finally be rid of the awful Three Now? TVNZ Ondemand vs 7plus would be a good fight.

Iā€™m glad itā€™s not Sky as some were predicting.

Cue Seven News NZ ASAP.

I very much doubt there would be any change of name, maybe a new logo down the track but Three will stick around whoever buys the channel IMO.

4 Likes

No. Or at least I highly, highly Doubt it. Still brand equity in Three and none in seven (not to mention the confusion around a channel called Seven would cause around needin to reshuffle Sky/Freeview number allocations).

Would probably bolster the ThreeNow library which has been left behind big time by TVNZ OD and honestly even Sky Goā€™s free component.

2 Likes

Sky Go has a free component? Is it any goodā€¦?

Wouldnā€™t it just be NZ On Air funded stuff on Prime?