New Zealand TV

Good God, what have they done?
Untitled

As seen on Freeview’s TV guide as of today (1/3/23).

Also there Te Reo/Prime LCN switcheroo has failed here in Whanganui - Prime is just a big blank screen. I guess something went wrong in the back-end somewhere in JDA-land… it’s coming in fine from Kapiti (Kordia site)… the signal is very weak in the G’nui, but is recievable.

3 Likes

I actually quite like the new logo.

1 Like

On the basis of this, Freeview was right to demote Prime down the channel list.

3 Likes

I mean, it’s not like it’s actually on the channel, right?

…right?

No, it’s not. Even stranger, the logos on Freeview’s website have reverted to the big orange porkchops again.

1 Like

I never really liked the current Prime logo… so although this looks like a cheapening of it, to me it’s just “meeeeeh, much of a muchness?”… I wonder if Freeview jumped the gun as Prime’s web site is still showing a “WorldPride/Mardi Gras” version of their logo [those on that side of the Tasman would know if and how much they’ve used that on air] and that doesn’t finish until this weekend.

In a way, it’s a shame the “P” would struggle practically to stand on its own; given Sky’s kept that logo for a while now I almost wonder how it’d look pres-wise if they tried that.

You had one job, Sky… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

has prime news update the logo?

4 Likes

From March 20, US Sitcom Mike and Molly which formerly aired on TVNZ 2 in the 2010s is getting a rerun on TVNZ 1 weekdays from 20 March at 4.30 before The Chase.

1 Like

Mike and Molly being played on 1 just goes to show how much that channel has changed since i moved away from NZ.

Absolutely no way that would have happened 10-15 years ago

1 Like

What a weird show to slot in there.

I wonder if they are filling that slot with nothing permanent until Neighbours returns (if they have the rights).

1 Like

Im hoping that Prime have it, I prefer having it on streaming, its quite nice being able to watch the 2012 episodes in one go

As I said before, had the RNZ-TVNZ merger gone through, we wouldn’t have had this nonsense.

We need more historical docos, not repeats of sitcoms, even though M&M isn’t too terrible

1 Like

I think in recent years TVNZ have shifted 1 back to more British dramas and lifestyle content than you would have seen in the last 15 years. There was a period back then when were they were pushing US network procedural shows but not anymore.

I seem to recall them running old US sitcoms (Cheers/Mash) in the 90s/early 2000s so perhaps just a revisit of that. Frasier too maybe?

They’d probably be better running Friends given a lot of that original audience is now firmly on their target market.

Last US Sitcom to air on TVNZ 1 is Frasier back in 2004 because TVNZ normally reserved US Sitcoms to air only on 2. Back on the 1970s and 1980s there are many US Sitcoms airing on TV One such as The Golden Girls, Cheers, Happy Days, Growing Pains since the launch of TV3 in 1989 many of the TVNZ’s US Sitcoms imports all places only on Channel 2 so it was to be them or TV3 unless there is no room on 2. Also lovely that 1 is back to British focused after US Procedurals was a doomed attempt for 1 which would have suited on 2.

You wouldn’t have had docos filling in a 4.30 slot though. More likely they would’ve found a reason (maybe with RNZ resources) to actually return some sort of news into that timeslot for One, or otherwise maybe dump in a lower-rating British reality series or something.

4-5pm really is a dead spot (especially on the other side of the Tasman) once TV stations [or at least the primary channels] didn’t have to broadcast childrens’ content anymore, and there’s no easy answer to that - but high-brow (but non-news) programming just wouldn’t work at 4 or 4.30.

How about putting a half hour version of The Repair Shop so that would be a good fit rather a old American comedy in that slot.

I wish they would reinstate the 4.30 News especially after the axing of Newshub’s one last year.