New Zealand TV

So you are fine with realty TV and informericals every day of the week? Good too see you have ambition for this country…NOT!

At least they tried. National would have left it to the market. Im pretty sure Melissa Lee has financial interests in the status quo, and a decent TVNZ would have enearthed these.

1 Like

I have more choice than ever, so I simply choose to watch the content I want to on streaming platforms and then mix in local content that interests me on TVNZ or Three via their respective apps.

2 Likes

“Just go online” is not a justification of crap content on TVNZ. Some people dont want to be tied to an internet connection when they watch TV.

I think it’s more that tvnz are making programming that people want to watch. Many complain about the dribble on tv, yet the viewing figures showcase a want for the dribble. It would be nice to have more documentaries but it doesn’t mean that if they did make documentaries that it wouldn’t be about reality shows and the talent that appeared on them. The talent that appear and make these shows are for the most part, kiwis, making content in nz for kiwis on a nz network.

Change is hard but tvnz have done it well for the most part with its programming.

They can start by dropping Friends from the TVNZ 2 schedule. But I have a feeling it’ll still be on air when I’m 60 (10 years from now).

It will probably be the MASH of the 21st century…

I mean if the merger still went ahead TVNZ was still going to keep its commercial arm so you would have still seen ‘reality’ shows as they rated.

TVNZ’s general counsel Brent McAnulty said commercial revenue would also be a really important part of the new entity’s future. “Because every dollar that can be secured commercially for this new entity is a dollar that taxpayers don’t have to put in themselves.”

The idea of local content quotas have been raised in NZ recently since Australia expanded it to include online streaming services. I think is a genuinely interesting case and probably would be more relevant to the current media environment, whether this is effective or not for Australia only time would tell.

2 Likes

Don’t our Free Trade Agreements prevent us from ever having local content quotas?

Probably, but in saying that most of the streaming companies are based on the US and we don’t have a FTA with them. I mean it isn’t the silver bullet but I think it is an interesting discussion to have nonetheless.

1 Like

As far as broadcast TV goes, the documenteries on Whakaata Maori are often worth watching. Channels other than TVNZ’s are available… don’t be afraid to explore with your remote @millsy.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Gutted to hear that this has been canned. Last season just gone was crap but loved the show till then.

Season 2 of Under the Vines will have its FTA premiere on TVNZ1 tomorrow (February 12) at 8.10pm. It is currently streaming on Acorn.

(Rebecca Gibney was filming the series in Central Otago last year when she was surprised by journalist Melissa Doyle, host of the Australian version of This is Your Life on Channel Seven)

1 Like

TVNZ, I think your logo is missing on the mic. :rofl: (the face on the right got me)

4 Likes

What is this for?

1 Like

Te Matatini, which is New Zealand’s main kapa haka festival.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Weather delay caption (Te Matatini 2023)

4 Likes

Sky also said its new satellite would be delayed by two years. It was notified of the delay by Optus in Australia.

3 Likes