New Zealand TV

Since they had the rights will they remake it for Aussie audiences if the NZ is successful enough?

4-part documentary series Mega Metro premieres on TVNZ Duke on Thursday July 21 at 9.40pm. Filmed over five years, the show traced the engineering challenges faced on the largest transport project in Australia’s history: Sydney Metro, covering Metro North West (opened May 2019) and Metro City and Southwest (opening in 2024).

It premiered on SBS in Australia in August 2020 as Sydney’s Super Tunnel.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I am informed that Sky is the official NZ broadcaster for Birmingham 2022 and an official partner to the New Zealand Commonwealth Games team. The Games will take place later this month (from 29 July to 9 August - NZT).

Sky will offer six Commonwealth Games channels with live content from 7.30pm (NZT) until 8am the next morning (NZT). All the action from the Games will be shown on Sky Sport and streamed on Sky Go and Sky Sport Now. Highlights and best moments will be available from Sky Sport Now and free to access on Sky Sport’s YouTube channel. Sky’s free-to-air channel, Prime, will offer free-to-air coverage including Kiwi athletes competing at the Games, delayed coverage of other events and highlights.

Sky has its own team of presenters based in New Zealand (Andrew Mulligan, Laura McGoldrick, Jeff McTainsh, Kirstie Stanway, Goran Paladin and Stephen McIvor) and in Birmingham (Rikki Swannell, Storm Purvis, Karl Te Nana, Courtney Tairi, Ravinder Hunia and Kristina Eddy). They will be covering the Games as the action unfolds.

Over at Newshub, through Three/Warner Bros. Discovery NZ, I am also informed that Tom McRae has officially left the Newshub team to join Al Jazeera and that, after strong weekly growth, AM has outperformed TVNZ’s Breakfast in morning television.

4 Likes

At least Prime can do good coverage of live events, least SKY’s coverage is going to be much better than TVNZ where it had too many ads even during opening ceremony in the Gold Coast games

Sky TV in advanced talks for broadcast rights to Rugby World Cup 2023, taking it back from Spark Sport.

5 Likes

So, what’s going to happen to Spark Sport if Sky secures the broadcast rights to next year’s Rugby World Cup?

They still have Formula 1, local cricket and Champions league.

Worth noting that Sky Sport 8 this morning rebranded into Sky Sport Premier League.

4 Likes

Prior to that, Sky Sport 8 played host to ‘The Best of the Rest’, i.e. general sporting coverage with the best of Olympic Channel.

1 Like

I don’t know Paddy, the most likely scenario is TVNZ being FTA partner is selected matches including semi finals and Final and Sky Sport will show all 48 games live

1 Like

And the other most likely scenario will be either Prime (a free-to-air channel which is fully owned by Sky) or Three (part of Warner Bros. Discovery NZ, though Sky already has a relationship with Discovery and its own portfolio of channels and programming). In fact, Three is the free-to-air broadcaster for the Women’s Rugby World Cup which will take place later this year (8 October to 12 November 2022).

It will be an interesting battle and I guess it will come down to how much Sky can get out of either Discovery or TVNZ. Recent events have shown sky can work with either FTA broadcaster these days.
Or perhaps the revenue on Prime will be enough to have it there.

1 Like

I remember reading that Spark Sport partnered up with Discovery/TV3 for the 2023 RWC bid which meant Sky mounted a rival bid with TVNZ. So TVNZ would be the likely broadcaster.

1 Like

The Commonwealth Games have begun and here’s a taste of augmented reality graphics during Prime’s free-to-air coverage. Sky and its free-to-air channel, Prime, are the official broadcasters of the Games. The augmented reality graphics offer viewers detailed information profiling our athletes and dissecting their performance for an immersive storytelling edge.

There’s also a special ticker at the bottom of the screen - the latest news and results from the Games as they arrive, a rundown of what’s coming up on Prime and lists of events shown on Sky’s dedicated Commonwealth Games channels (at the time of transmission).

7 Likes

Freeview NZ has a new boss and I’m hoping he really does something to reinvigorate it:

Hope he can finally add the +1 channels to the streaming app.

1 Like

Hrm. I wish the timeshift services would be streamed live so that people could catch up on their favourite programmes one hour later in case they missed them…

1 Like

Snack Masters Australia premieres on TVNZ2 next Monday (August 8) at 8.40pm, after MasterChef Australia.

Unlike Australia, the NZ broadcast will begin with episode 2, Cadbury Favourites.
The show has been renewed for a second season.

A NZ version of Snack Masters aired on TVNZ in April this year.

2 Likes

Why?

I wouldn’t count on it.

I’d imagine the networks take the attitude that if you missed it, you can catch up on demand, rather than streaming on a +1.

2 Likes