New Zealand TV

Does anyone know if the Prime Olympics coverage is the same as the Sky TV coverage, with Prime using a letterbox type of screen with a ticker at the bottom. I found it quite odd that it’s not in full screen or is this a ploy by Sky to get you to subscribe so you avoid the screen interferences.

It’s different coverage on Sky with multiple channels but - this is actually the approach Sky used for the Tokyo games on their Tokyo Gold channel. A permanent results ticker and curated/anchored coverage, just this time it’s on FTA.

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s a Sky problem or an OBS problem, but the sport being shown on the SkySport channels frequently doesn’t match the digital schedule. Very annoying and confusing. Obviously there will be many last minute changes when it comes to live sport coverage, but surely the schedules can be updated quickly as required.

1 Like

My theory is if TVNZ gets the rights to the 2026 Winter Olympics, ad free streaming coverage of the will be arranged for TVNZ OD hoping witch all the glitching issues with coverage across TVNZ 1 and Duke and multiple temporary channels

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense now. I was thinking they decided not show events in full screen because they wanted more subscribers.

TVNZ is better off saving it’s bid for Brisbane 2032 imho @Sheldon_Betteridge

Problem being is that the IOC usually sells the Olympics as a group (i.e. through until 2032, not just the individual Olympics themselves etc). That means it can combine a better timezone for NZ with a worse one and still make money on it by selling as a package.

LA 2028 would be a good timezone for NZ so it’s not out of the realms of possibility, but I feel Sky would be in the boxseat with a TVNZ onsell like Tokyo a chance again.

5 Likes

I reckon that is possibly high that SKY would get the Pay TV rights with TVNZ doing FTA coverage across TVNZ 1 and Duke which I’am thinking for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics. 2024 Olympics FTA will be on Prime TV due to unfavorable timezone

2 Likes

Premier League is coming back to Sky Sport starting in August.

4 Likes

Don’t count out Discovery, given they own the Europe rights. Imagine what the FTA Olympics coverage would look like on TV3.

I’d rather not if their AM Show offering is anything to go by

5 Likes

After having Spark pick off rights from them over the last few years, Sky gets one back.

Regaining the Premier League rights is pretty big for them because that along with their NZ & England cricket rights has made Spark Sport a 12-month proposition for ‘mainstream’ sports viewers. While the service still has a substantial amount of sports rights, losing the Premier League will be a blow for them.

5 Likes

Would spark find an alternative Football competition to replace the EPL?

It seems from the statement they put out today that Spark has some football-related announcements they’ll make over the next few months. Only time will tell whether they’ll sufficiently fill the hole left by losing the Premier League.

1 Like

:laughing:

Harsh.
But fair.

1 Like

Now TV3 is Putting of heaps of discovery content, will they scale back on films

1 Like

Olympics on Three would be weird but superior to TVNZ 1 coverage, Prime’s coverage is awful and I think may not be suited to the network since SKY TV owns the network as I have to always put up with Prime’s FTA Olympic coverage in the past since the 2010 Winter Olympics, now Prime is televising some live events at this years Winter Olympics is a only a good feeling so far for the network but for the low rating channel would be an embarrassment when Zoi won their NZ’s First Gold Medal since most the live events shown on SKY Sport across six Pay TV channels which just the wealthy New Zealanders enjoy every moment of the games where lower income people are missing out that is not fair. Let TVNZ get the exclusive rights from 2026 Winter Olympics onwards including Brisbane 2032 Summer Olympics if SKY does not want them

The Feed premieres Monday February 28th.

A more concise schedule from today’s Signal in the ODT:

IMG_20220222_185150

4 Likes

That is nice that TVNZ 2 is doing of a more Younger skewing line up which as absent for many years due to weaker line up older skewing programmes like Judge Rinder is actually unnecessary while Three is dominated with Discovery reality programmes during the afternoon far cry from 20 years ago where their line up for the afternoon was similar to TV2 back then

1 Like

Eden as a channel name is horrible ! Newshub Live at 8pm on eden. :face_vomiting:

5 Likes