New Zealand TV

Hmmmmmmmm lol sounds like an x rated channel :joy:

2 Likes

Reminds me of UKTV’s Eden.

1 Like

Very ordinary names for a tv channel.

Though I suppose Stan has worked for the streamer and is in a similar realm, though that’s more about the content than the name itself.

5 Likes

I think that Eden is a boring channel name and quite stupid, I suggest the new channel should be Life

4 Likes

Should have just said kept Choice and given it a refresh … over the name eden anyway.

You would think there’s still a bit of life in the Choice brand

9 Likes

Hahahaha please no

Next thing they will call it “Roots”

Or reckon they will call it charge

Maybe the name eden came from the area where Three / Discovery are headquartered - Eden Terrace?

5 Likes

:joy:

It’s all reminiscent of back in 2018 when Channel 10 did its relaunch with One becoming 10 Boss. Fairfax newspapers claimed trademark infringement and it was renamed 10 Bold two weeks later.

7 Likes

1000% times yes. Choice as a brand has more value than Disco seem to realise, with 10 years of loyal viewership. I’ve often heard people (admittedly more in the past now than present) how they find Choice often had something on when the others didn’t.
A bit like Prime, it’s a positive word that works well on screen and with an identity for “better than average” viewing. Eden sounds like an Auckland-focused regional channel, what is it, a gardening channel? Dumb.

7 Likes

Will you going to miss Choice TV since its going?

Yeah, a bit I guess. Depends where the content ends up. If it’s too-scattered and scheduled at silly times, then I probably will miss having it all on one channel.

Just to make things clear… The Gusto brand used by TVNZ OnDemand is actually a Canadian brand. It is owned by Gusto Worldwide Media, a holding company of local indie Knight Enterprises, owned by Chris Knight, known for producing non-fiction, food-related series. The Gusto brand originated in a premium basic subscription channel in Canada; which was originally owned by Knight; the channel’s brand and content was later sold to Bell Media, to refocus its M3 channel into a lifestyle-oriented channel (it is now called CTV Life Channel, as part of a process of making their entertainment channels branded as the network). Therefore, the brand belongs to TVNZ due to its licensing deal with Gusto Worldwide Media.

The Eden brand could also make Discovery get into hot water. Eden was not sold to them as part of the UKTV/Discovery split, and, as part of the split, UKTV’s brands not sold to Discovery are in hands of BBC Studios (which owns the BBC-branded international channels, in the UK, it is the commercial subsidiary of the broadcaster, and, therefore, a separate company legally).

They should had reinstated the ThreeLife brand, in place of complicated attempts at developing an additional brand in the group; it could create a group of Three-branded channels, as Discovery makes with most of its portfolio; Three, ThreeLife, ThreeRush and ThreeNow (Bravo remains separate as it is a licensed brand, and maybe replacing/merging ThreeNow with Discovery+).

5 Likes

From Changing Rooms to changing brands — Discovery NZ has confirmed its latest HD channel has been renamed Eden but will still launch in mid-March.

The rebranding was due to TVNZ’s objection that the channel’s original’s name, Gusto, was previously used for one of its OnDemand channels.

“The name Gusto has changed to Eden due to this conflict,” Discovery NZ’s Corporate Communications Manager Rachael Russell says.

“There is no change to the launch date, Eden is all set to launch alongside Rush in March.

“The name Eden was identified as being a particularly strong fit with the channel proposition, which is to offer viewers ‘a better everyday’.

“It will have all the same great content we had planned, including an 8pm Newshub bulletin, shiny floor shows, game shows, great drama, factual and lifestyle and many formats not previously seen on FTA television in NZ before.”

Among the series that will be making their NZ debuts on Eden will be the next-generation Changing Rooms , The Chase USA , Big Family Farm , Finding Alice and Ellen’s Next Great Designer .

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by owning a brand, but the trademark in NZ for Gusto belongs to Discovery NZ - it’s there on the IPONZ database. TVNZ could have appealed it but they don’t appear to have bothered, so Disco’s change of mind seems more of a Gentleman’s agreement, rather than anything concrete. Disco have also since applied for the NZ trademark to use Eden as well as Zest, which are under consideration now.

Reinstate a failure? Yeah, nah.

1 Like

The Government has announced that the TVNZ-RNZ merger will be revealed next week despite half-year profit plunges.

2 Likes

I Hope that Is going ahead because it will have to cut down the advertising and give to them to the other channels, but National Party broadcasting spokesperson Melissa Lee criticised as being “Government Autocracy” on the merger

How come they can say “piss off” and “bitch” on Shortland St at 7pm but you don’t hear that on Home and Away?

Different countries different guidelines

3 Likes