New Zealand TV

In this day of recording and streaming, don’t think that’d be much of a problem.

Sorry, meant the day after. Could have worded that better. They would lose a Sunday night anchor though if they did that.

Big Brother finales were in the past shown live on TV2 before the ratings tanked.

Watched a bit of Three lately, they really go to a lot of effort with the brand. The promos for different shows using different variations of the logo (such as a lego +HR=E for the new Lego Masters Australia), quite cool. :+1:

3 Likes

Yep, but the big codes aren’t going to go back FTA, so it has to be the lesser-seen sports or local tournaments (CTV used to show school XIV rugby, for instance.) It’s a good move for the “other” sporting codes, as the big one/s tend to crowd them out in terms of coverage, so hopefully having more of them FTA on Prime will help bolster these sports and Prime’s share.
But time will tell.

1 Like

Agree. Could open the door for more sport though, if the new boss wants to make big changes?

1 Like

Comedy special Stand Up for Christchurch will be shown on TVNZ2 next Wednesday (April 24) at 8pm.

Anyone else find it odd that TVNZ2 are no longer airing advertising during overnight programming from about midnight anymore just promos for its own shows. Almost makes you wonder why they are scheduling shows during these hours but also good that they still do. I’m guessing its harder to sell the inventory now as well in the current environment?

I remember the days of cheaply made adverts, ‘adult adverts’ and party lines being a staple of the late night schedule when I was growing up.

1 Like

If it was today. I don’t think that there is advertising on any stations. As in the broadcasting act

http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1989/0025/latest/DLM158916.html

Sunday Mornings, ANZAC Day (morning at least), Christmas Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday are all non-commercial. Hasn’t changed in decades.

1 Like

Aware of the advertising restrictions.

TVNZ2 have had no advertising overnights for a wee bit now. Looking at their rate card, it also advises it as being commercial free now until a religious programming at about 5:30am as well as an hour of infomercials at 2:30am.

1 Like

Just a hypothesis but maybe TVNZ 1 makes more money overnight with infomercials so its not worth while to run full infomercials on both at the same time and instead run programs that may attract the insomniac audience that might run to sky tv or streaming.

Looking at the TVGuide I can see as an example
Infomercials TVNZ 2
FRIDAY 1:20 AM - 2:20 AM & 5:30 AM - 6:30 AM
MONDAY 2:55 AM - 3:30 AM & 5:30 AM - 6:30 AM

Infomercials TVNZ 1
FRIDAY 1:15 AM - 5:35 AM
MONDAY 3:25 AM - 6:00 AM

Aussie girl doing us proud during the TVNZ broadcast.

tvb

I was able to watch most of the Auckland 11am service on Maori TV who continue to do a great job, nice camera angles, good quality audio, easy to understand coverage. A coworker said "maori TV have taken something no one really wanted to produce and have produced the hell out of it.

4 Likes

Having watched very little Maori TV in the past I’ve come across their new-ish news brand Te Ao a bit lately on social… Thought I’d take a look at their bulletin online - really nice… Graphics top notch.

1 Like

Sorry, I haven’t been following NZ TV for awhile. Can someone confirm how many individual television news broadcasters are in New Zealand?

1 News
Newshub (formally 3 News)
Prime News (formally Sky News)

Have I missed any?

Also there is Te Ao from Maori TV

1 Like

If you didn’t know also, Prime News is produced by Mediaworks/Newshub.

Thanks.
Are they all broadcast out of Auckland?

Most definitely all broadcast out of Auckland.

So there are no local news bulletins in NZ? It’s all just national?