New Zealand TV

I was able to watch most of the Auckland 11am service on Maori TV who continue to do a great job, nice camera angles, good quality audio, easy to understand coverage. A coworker said "maori TV have taken something no one really wanted to produce and have produced the hell out of it.

4 Likes

Having watched very little Maori TV in the past Iā€™ve come across their new-ish news brand Te Ao a bit lately on socialā€¦ Thought Iā€™d take a look at their bulletin online - really niceā€¦ Graphics top notch.

1 Like

Sorry, I havenā€™t been following NZ TV for awhile. Can someone confirm how many individual television news broadcasters are in New Zealand?

1 News
Newshub (formally 3 News)
Prime News (formally Sky News)

Have I missed any?

Also there is Te Ao from Maori TV

1 Like

If you didnā€™t know also, Prime News is produced by Mediaworks/Newshub.

Thanks.
Are they all broadcast out of Auckland?

Most definitely all broadcast out of Auckland.

So there are no local news bulletins in NZ? Itā€™s all just national?

Correct.

2 Likes

Is there a need for a local bulletin on the South Island etc? Or is the population just not there to sustain it?

Over a million in South Island, so enough of a population, but no appetite it seems.

I feel as if not enough New Zealanders (in general) are watching TV.

Te Karere (an oldie but a goodie).

4pm weekdays on TVNZ1.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Not really, no.
Perhaps there could be inserts into a network bulletin but by and large the demand isnā€™t there for true local 30-60 minutes news.

NZ operates somewhat like a village, while there are true local stories, the big ones locally tend to become national pretty quickly. Adding to that, our parliamentary structure is such that there isnā€™t any true law making powers at a city level.

Thatā€™s not to say there isnā€™t value in local news media (Newstalk ZB local newsroom and bulletins/programming as well as The Press in a ChCh for example as well as CTV formerly and Channel 39 (The South Today) in Dunedin), but financially and personnel wise it would be hard to justify local TV news bulletins.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a valid reason. Indeed, the lack of state/provincial government means arguably there is more decision making at the local level than in Australia.

1 Like

As an asideā€¦Disagree, the state governments make plenty of decisions where as city councils etc can be largely toothless. Anything that requires major funding has to come from a central govt level. And the public isnā€™t engaged in local politics (see the voting figures) - I realise this could be used as an argument pro local TV news but I really donā€™t think it would make a huge difference.

Just going off population alone, youā€™d hope there is enough use of reporters on the ground in Christchurch and the like to cover the south island appropriately. Itā€™s not far off the size of the Adelaide market.

Which would make sense if all Australian TV news was state based - but itā€™s not (there would be no need for separate news bulletins within a state).

Iā€™ve been doing some reading (on Wikipedia - this might be incorrect)

Apparently, TVNZ (in its inception) had four local bulletins based in its local stations throughout Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. This lasted (roughly) from the 1960-1970s. TVNZ did return local news windows to each region throughout 1980s, but were all axed in 1990.

Prime NZ, when first launched around 1997 provided Christchurch and Hamilton with local news at 5:30pm. Apparently this was successful but the station couldnā€™t turn a profit as a whole and they were later axed.

From what I understand, Newshub (formally 3 news) have never ventured into local news. So it sort of begs the questions, why doesnā€™t Newshub provide a local news service to the south island? This could be a complete advantage over 1 News. Surely this would gain support with local advertisers and the 1 million people who live in the south?