New Zealand TV

I don’t think the CNN Fast channel does rolling news, just a few updates and other programming but I could be wrong. It would make sense to try and salvage a 6pm bulletin with the CNN resources or half the Newshub team and possibly outsource the sports news to Sky to produce. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is after all the consultation.

1 Like

Oddly enough it was in the Herald (PAYWALLED) only yesterday about potential plans to save Newshub, possibly with help from another provider.

Newshub may yet survive in some pared-back form as various parties - including rival media companies, private individuals and staff - quietly mull possible options to save the stricken news brand.

Media Insider understands Warner Bros Discovery is open to saving the brand and retaining the likes of the 6pm news on Three - it will no doubt be considering all internal and external possibilities. Right now, it is in a consultation period with staff - this has been extended to Monday.

One possible option is that Warner Bros Discovery buys the 6pm bulletin as a news service from another party, rather than continuing to bear the cost of operating a newsroom.

It doesn’t. It’s a carousel of various reports and other bits from throughout the day.

2 Likes

When you think about it, having your news operation named independently of the TV / Parent company brand it does really lend itself well to being outsourced/onsold etc.

I hope whatever form it hopefully survives in, the main aim is to still deliver important news to Kiwis and still offering different perspectives and competition within the media sector.

7 Likes

A group of people or businesses starting an ITN style operation and selling news to Three and Sky Open plus doing things for itself online and making documentaries etc makes sense for a market like NZ, I guess.

7 Likes

Channel 4 UK has acquired TVNZ mini-series After the Party from distributor ITV Studios.

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-acquires-after-party-itv-studios-starring-peter-mullan-and-robyn-malcolm

1 Like

The Australian version of Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars premieres on Three on Friday, April 5 at 7pm.

However, there is a catch. According to Screenscribe:

Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars (7.00 Friday) pits the profane chef against Australian business mogul Janine Allis to discover “Australia’s most exciting and innovative new food and drink ideas”; it’s being double-billed with Top Guns: Inside the RAF (8.00 Friday), which promises “unprecedented access to the fighter jets, war planes and service personnel” at RAF Lossiemouth.

Australian online guides show that episode 1 is 100 minutes long including ads, and episode 2 runs for 90 minutes including ads. With only one hour timeslot allocated for Food Stars, is it possible that each episode has to be stripped and shown across multiple nights?

Update: the premiere of Food Stars has been postponed, with The 1% Club Australia screening on Friday April 5 at 7pm.

2 Likes

Free to air netball is coming back to TVNZ for the first time since 2011 with the ANZ Premiership.

6 Likes

MovieSphere has now launched, and it’s as underwhelming as we expected.

3 Likes

Today marks 20 years since Maori Television/Whakataa Maori launched.

Throughout the memories, The Spinoff looks back 20 years of Maori TV and how it changed the indigenous broadcaster throughout the last 2 decades.

11 Likes

Another Sky channel to go, and it’s no April Fool’s joke either.

https://help.sky.co.nz/s/article/Jones-Too-Changes

Liked how Too leaned more towards 80s and 90s shows, even dipping into some eclectic fare at that.

2 Likes

Would be OK if they actually replaced the channels. Feels like the $$$ I pay is buying me less and less.

1 Like

Two new Australian game shows starting on Easter Monday, both on TVNZ.

4 Likes

Tipping Point Australia now permanently replaces Afternoon kids programmes which had been dominated by our screens for nearly 40 years also as a replacement for Brain Busters which is moving only online this year as I think it is a travesty.

5 Likes

Wow TVNZ really hoarded all the game shows this year. Surprised Three didn’t attempt to buy Tipping Point Australia to try and challenge The Chase but it looks like TVNZ’s ITV output deal has stopped that. As for the Deal, I thought Sky Open would be interested in resurrecting Deal or No Deal on its schedule.

https://twitter.com/TracksideNZ/status/1774876705188106274

3 Likes

A massive new era for TAB Trackside starting today.

Also a big movement to make return for TAB Trackside 1 and 2 to Freeview for the first time in a while.

1 Like

Because TVNZ 1 nabbed the rights this time around as it thought it would headed to Three and a lead into Newshub

Three never had a chance, TVNZ has first dibbs on The Tipping Point Australia as they have the ITV studios Output deal.

MORE: New look for punters as Trackside gets relaunched - NZ Herald

1 Like

Tipping Point UK is finishing its run on TVNZ1 this Friday, April 5. Next Monday, BBC quiz show The Finish Line replaces TPUK in the weekday 3pm timeslot.

2 Likes