New Zealand TV

am, by a milestone!

There’s probably an element of truth to the last bit, but that’s probably sorta fitting the model to the realities of the market over there.

Not sure what the alternative could be in NZ though. One could argue that TVNZ doesn’t need three entertainment channels and could give up (say) Duke to a more high-brow channel… but again, that’s sorta replicating the TVNZ 7 model.

And if you gave, say, that Freeview slot to RNZ for a TVNZ 7-style service… I doubt there’d be enough meat on the bones to get them into an entirely new medium for them even if some money was sliced off TVNZ or NZ On Air - particularly without [further] sacrificing the Pacific service which is a big foreign policy thing for NZ (doubly so as Radio Australia keeps getting scaled back on this side).

And as @OnAir suggested, in terms of combining them - I can’t imagine there’d be a huge amount of synergy at all between a Radio NZ and a TVNZ that have gone very separate ways since the old days of the NZBC - or even the 80s/early 90s when the weekend evening doco was still a big thing for Seven and Nine over in the West Island, and I imagine One were doing over there too.

It’s a shame, but I suspect it’s being replicated all over in public/state-owned media, at least in the English-speaking world. NZ is not immune to that, and perhaps less so than others.

1 Like

Full interview: Comedian Dai Henwood reveals battle with cancer | The Project NZ

So sad. Dai is such a good bugger.

7 Likes

Australian fans of HYBPA will recognise Guy.

6 Likes

I believe both 1 News and Newshub have political poll results tonight

1 Like

Three will once again fasttrack Married at First Sight Australia, with each episode shown one week after Channel Nine’s broadcast. Season 10 starts next Monday (February 6) at 7pm before returning to its regular time of 7.30pm the following night.

Six-part observational series Police Strike Force debuts on TVNZ2 next Tuesday (February 7) at 9.25pm.

1 Like

I see that Three is ditching Saturday Night movies for new episodes of NCIS and NCIS:LA from Saturday 18 February

2 Likes

Changes are coming to Freeview with Prime moving to channel 15 and Te Reo moving to channel 10 along with Prime+1 being the first plus 1 channel to become available via the Freeview streaming app. I’m quite surprised Prime has been demoted further down the channel list and not offered a higher spot on channel 6 or 7.

Oh good. Now if only they can add the OTHER plus 1 channels too.

1 Like

I think they are coming later this year as it does say more channels are on the way. I’m not expecting any interesting new channels tbh.

Huh? I don’t understand that change at all… the change last year had a lot of logic behind it, but this seems to undo some of that pattern - MTS’s channels being on 5 & 15, for one, matching the positions of TVNZ’s & WBD’s channels.

What’s really behind the change? It’ll be interesting to see what eventually transpires.

I thought it was because TVNZ & WBD wanted all the single-digits for themselves. Sky/Prime lost that opportunity when they refused to join Freeview from the start.

Nice to see Prime+1 becoming official, but would be better if it appeared on the terrestrial service too. It’s not like there’s a lack of bandwidth - SKY still have a set of frequencies they’re not using (whatever happenned to “use it or lose it?”).

1 Like

That’s what I’m trying to figure out but the reasoning seems to be “that more channels are on the way”, whatever that means. I guess the legacy of Sky not allowing Prime to join Freeview back in 2007 is still having an effect on it today. You’d think Sky would make a greater effort to join the Freeview board to allow Prime some say in it’s channel placing. But who knows maybe another reshuffle will happen and Bravo+1 gives up it’s placing for Prime (wishful thinking I know). Looks like 2023 will be an interesting year for the Freeview platform.

1 Like

RNZ-TVNZ merger has been scrapped, as announced by PM Chris Hipkins this afternoon. RNZ and NZ on Air to receive more funding.

8 Likes

Called it.

3 Likes

Guess you lot will be happy. You can turn on TVNZ1 and you dont have to see any of those pesky historical documentaries, and end up learning something. Hooray for MasterChef!

As for RNZ, it will just end up airing the same shows over and over, and not start up any newer services.

But I guess we can all just go on YouTube, can we not?

1 Like

Would have been OK if there was some sort of compromise, but he had to go and chop it altogether. And we are still going to have the same repetitive garbage on our screens.

1 Like

I’m not convinced you’ve actually watched another public broadcaster before. The only public broadcaster I know filled to the brim with documentaries and (allegedly) factual content is in North Korea.

2 Likes

I doubt that public broadcasters in the rest of the world have all to wall MasterChef.

…or infomercials after midnight.

2 Likes

hooray, a win for common-sense!

1 Like