New Zealand TV

Sure NZ population is larger that it was 20 years ago so we should have taxpayer ad free TV1 here.

As of this week (w/c 23 January), Prime has relinquished its late morning timeslots (10am-12pm) to TV Shop infomercials on weekdays. What happened?

what was it before?

@Michael_Eccles Reruns of programmes seen on Prime in recent years.

I noticed tvnz 2 has a new ident? I donā€™t watch tv but have just noticed one with a kid on a tyre swing and the logo in the tyre.

Yes, they are about a month or two old.

Oh right, thank you. They seem a bit 2000sā€™ish

8 Likes

am, by a milestone!

Thereā€™s probably an element of truth to the last bit, but thatā€™s probably sorta fitting the model to the realities of the market over there.

Not sure what the alternative could be in NZ though. One could argue that TVNZ doesnā€™t need three entertainment channels and could give up (say) Duke to a more high-brow channelā€¦ but again, thatā€™s sorta replicating the TVNZ 7 model.

And if you gave, say, that Freeview slot to RNZ for a TVNZ 7-style serviceā€¦ I doubt thereā€™d be enough meat on the bones to get them into an entirely new medium for them even if some money was sliced off TVNZ or NZ On Air - particularly without [further] sacrificing the Pacific service which is a big foreign policy thing for NZ (doubly so as Radio Australia keeps getting scaled back on this side).

And as @OnAir suggested, in terms of combining them - I canā€™t imagine thereā€™d be a huge amount of synergy at all between a Radio NZ and a TVNZ that have gone very separate ways since the old days of the NZBC - or even the 80s/early 90s when the weekend evening doco was still a big thing for Seven and Nine over in the West Island, and I imagine One were doing over there too.

Itā€™s a shame, but I suspect itā€™s being replicated all over in public/state-owned media, at least in the English-speaking world. NZ is not immune to that, and perhaps less so than others.

1 Like

Full interview: Comedian Dai Henwood reveals battle with cancer | The Project NZ

So sad. Dai is such a good bugger.

7 Likes

Australian fans of HYBPA will recognise Guy.

6 Likes

I believe both 1 News and Newshub have political poll results tonight

1 Like

Three will once again fasttrack Married at First Sight Australia, with each episode shown one week after Channel Nineā€™s broadcast. Season 10 starts next Monday (February 6) at 7pm before returning to its regular time of 7.30pm the following night.

Six-part observational series Police Strike Force debuts on TVNZ2 next Tuesday (February 7) at 9.25pm.

1 Like

I see that Three is ditching Saturday Night movies for new episodes of NCIS and NCIS:LA from Saturday 18 February

2 Likes

Changes are coming to Freeview with Prime moving to channel 15 and Te Reo moving to channel 10 along with Prime+1 being the first plus 1 channel to become available via the Freeview streaming app. Iā€™m quite surprised Prime has been demoted further down the channel list and not offered a higher spot on channel 6 or 7.

Oh good. Now if only they can add the OTHER plus 1 channels too.

1 Like

I think they are coming later this year as it does say more channels are on the way. Iā€™m not expecting any interesting new channels tbh.

Huh? I donā€™t understand that change at allā€¦ the change last year had a lot of logic behind it, but this seems to undo some of that pattern - MTSā€™s channels being on 5 & 15, for one, matching the positions of TVNZā€™s & WBDā€™s channels.

Whatā€™s really behind the change? Itā€™ll be interesting to see what eventually transpires.

I thought it was because TVNZ & WBD wanted all the single-digits for themselves. Sky/Prime lost that opportunity when they refused to join Freeview from the start.

Nice to see Prime+1 becoming official, but would be better if it appeared on the terrestrial service too. Itā€™s not like thereā€™s a lack of bandwidth - SKY still have a set of frequencies theyā€™re not using (whatever happenned to ā€œuse it or lose it?ā€).

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to figure out but the reasoning seems to be ā€œthat more channels are on the wayā€, whatever that means. I guess the legacy of Sky not allowing Prime to join Freeview back in 2007 is still having an effect on it today. Youā€™d think Sky would make a greater effort to join the Freeview board to allow Prime some say in itā€™s channel placing. But who knows maybe another reshuffle will happen and Bravo+1 gives up itā€™s placing for Prime (wishful thinking I know). Looks like 2023 will be an interesting year for the Freeview platform.

1 Like