Network Ten 2018

I’ve been wondering the same thing - im not sure one episode can really predict a successful outcome (have you been paying attention, as an example), there would need to be another mechanism other than the ratings that night to determine the success of the Pilot.

If it is all in the one week, some shows will have stiff competition and others might not - if they are expecting shows to debut with high numbers, its going to have to be one hell of a campaign - Ten doesn’t quite have the audience to bring big numbers in for a one time showing.

On a side note - when was the last time anything on ten rated over 1 million viewers?

Still think they would be better using Kyle for a “Beauty & the Beast” redo, plenty of talent both at Ten and also unsigned to networks that could take on the role of the Beauties.

I am certain its rose coloured glasses but I used to love watching the interactions of people like Lisa Wilkinson, Joh Griggs, Jan Murray etc battle it out.

3 Likes

…and even then, Australian Idol had its peak in popularity before Kyle Sandilands was a judge on the show IIRC.

2 Likes

But my point was he didn’t kill it like he killed all the other shows he was involved with. ;p

Dastyari’s show now has a name: Disgrace, and will look at major scandals in the past. Charles Firth from The Chaser is a producer.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sam-dastyari-tries-his-hand-at-the-small-screen/news-story/d1bfbf0b7c3e308fa17bc758dc594c41

1 Like

So we arent going to even get one scripted drama?

Will that be part of pilot week? Thought it had already been picked up for a series run.

I would personally like to see Ten trying out some newly created formats (like they are for Pilot Week) but kept on a permanent basis. Australian TV is dying for some originality and innovation.

3 Likes

Playing For Keeps is an 8 part series currently being filmed.

That is what I thought. its not part of pilot week though.

I think Cynic was just saying that they’ve commissioned one scripted show to air this year, obviously not that it’s part of Pilot Week.

With at least 4 of the 8 pilots for the week all but confirmed, it would be good to see some variety with the other formats they’ve ordered pilots for.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned anywhere yet but CBS Broadcasting Inc. lodged IP Australia applications on Tuesday this week in various classes for ‘Ten All Access’.

Safe to say that CBS won’t be bringing the CBS name down under? Well not initially anyway…

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/mobile/result?q=Ten+all+access

The relevant social channel handles have been secured recently also:

7 Likes

Of course not, CBS has relatively no brand in Australia.

Well that’s cleared the air a bit in regards to consolidation of the brands. It was the only logical choice IMO.

Watching CBSN today on the All Access app. It has improved quite a lot in the last 12 months, with more live reporting and interviews, at least in New York Primetime.

I gather the TEN All Access app will have a live section for it’s local channels and perhaps CBSN (which may in turn be localised down the track), CBS/TEN Sports and the upcoming ET channel.

1 Like

Even with its downfall (in recent years) the TEN brand is highly trusted and recognized in this country… if The TEN name was replaced by CBS, it would be considered too Americanized and would confuse viewers.

9 Likes

Exactly, right.

TEN isn’t going anywhere.

1 Like

I have always had a soft spot for the ten network

1 Like

Given the launch of Ten All Access some time later this year, I wonder if they are planning to merge Ten Play with it down the road to avoid the congestion of Services available, as Ten Play currently carries the same services as Ten All Access will likely have (Stream Content + 24/7 feed of main Channel) as well as exclusive content as it is with CBS All Access.

Seven’s relaunch of PLUS7 as 7Plus provides a similar service in a way to All Access (exclusive premium content) as does 9Now, so that way it’ll be 7Plus, 9Now, and Ten All Access to choose from each of the big three Networks.

I think if they have too many sub-brands (Ten Daily, Ten Play and Ten All Access) it’ll muddle up Ten’s online presence even more, keep it simple with Ten Daily for General News, and Ten All Access for digital content, or merge Ten Play with Ten Daily to carry over program content (MasterChef clips and info for example), and Ten All Access solely for Streaming full programs and the main Channel feed. Well, that’s my two cents. :stuck_out_tongue:

With Pilot Week approaching, I wonder if we’ll hear more info about Ten All Access around that time… :thinking: