Network Ten 2017

LOL

4 Likes

Fair point. However, even Ten concedes that it needs more diversity in its dramas. Three similar dramas all set in the same location is hardly diverse. I’m not sure that throwing in a 2 part mini-series addresses that issue. Beverley McGarvey’s claim that it’s too late to schedule another drama next year is complete bullshit.
As we’ve seen with Wanted on Seven, Doctor Doctor on Nine & the Kettering Incident on Fox, audiences will watch dramas that aren’t filmed in Melbourne.

2 Likes

My ribs hurt. T’was a hearty chortle.

2 Likes

Maybe.

But I think Beverley McGarvey is nervous, following the performance of “Brock”?

Whereas Molly (at least Part 1) was huge for Ch 7.

Showreel for 2017 - https://tenplay.com.au/ten-insider/extra/season-2016/coming-to-ten-in-2017

Includes some footage for TBL: Transformed (which looks good!) Wake In Fright, Russell Cought, Sisters etc.

1 Like

Didn’t you say as late as a few weeks ago Brock would be a hit, as well as every other time it was relevant? [quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:34, topic:975”]
Ch 10’s year should continue to be good/competitive, with The Bachelorette, Brock & The Wrong Girl to come.
[/quote]

3 Likes

That was my prediction/what I thought before it aired, most people thought Brock would to well.

But the ratings showed that it didn’t.

I guess Brock is a prime example of dramas skewed towards men not doing well, another is Hyde and Seek. That is not to say that dramas skewed towards men aren’t going to rate. Perhaps networks don’t really know what types of dramas men will like. I know someone suggested Molly was a drama skewed towards men, I don’t think that was exactly the case - I think just as many females would have been wanting to watch that.

Perhaps Wake in Fright is a good idea. Maybe the networks haven’t really been giving men what they truly like to watch. And maybe they don’t like dramas at all. Perhaps shows like Have You Been Paying Attention etc are the types of shows that most men 25-54 want to watch. I don’t know, I know that I am in that demographic but I am probably not quite the demographic that ten is after.

I know TV Tonight suggested a few ‘fantasy’ dramas. The one I noticed was a telemovie about the Cronulla. I thought that was a very good suggestion - would bring a few more men to the network and would hit the Sydney market. What a tragic story, that would again get the viewers talking, but one that would be intriguing to watch.

1 Like

Whatever happened to that pirate drama Ten announced two years in a row?

1 Like

Do you mean the series Batavia, based on the novel by Peter Fitzsimons? They shelved that because they thought it would be massively expensive to produce. I believe they were hoping for overseas sales to help fund it, but they didn’t eventuate.

1 Like

How did Talkin’ Bout Your Generation fair in its last outing on Ten? With Ten looking for a new format I believe a show like this could work in the Sunday 6:30 timeslot and is different to the current genres that are on in that timeslot.

Average 699,000 in 2012.

Probably not a lot of confidence in it then with those sorts of figures, although now in that timeslot would be considered a hit. I wonder if a show like this could be considered (with a fresh coat of paint), whether it is a new show or not.

What it does in 25-54 is way more relevant, and I remember this show skewing strong to that demo

True, I don’t remember too much from 2012 but I believe most of Ten’s shows were doing similar numbers. It was the beginning of their very dark hole.

IIRC the show was scheduled at a strange time like 8pm and was crunched by MKR. According to Ten, the show was number 2 in the timeslot with women in the 25-54 demo. It rarely made an appearance in the top 5 demos. The Biggest Loser was Ten’s top show at the time and would have rated 100-200,000 higher most nights.

If you ask me, Ten should just start it’s primetime lineup on Sundays at 7pm.

Unless Ten’s Sunday 6.30pm program is exceptionally good, realistically they’ll never be able to beat the 2nd half of the generally strong rating Sunday night news bulletins on Seven & Nine.

agreed about 7pm starting time, but they seem to not want to follow that route for some reason. A rebooted TBYG would be great, I liked the casting ideas TVTonight had about a reboot of it. Have a 1 hour Sunday edition of Family Feud and then TBYG until 8pm.

I think they are so far behind 7 and 9 on Sunday evenings, they need to compete 5-6, 6-7 then start shows at 7pm.

The problem is - 6pm Sunday - it just feels like news to me. I can’t see what else you would tune in for at 6pm Sunday. I can’t see people tuning in for drama, comedy, panel, variety - it just feels like new time - nothing else

The Sunday 6pm bulletins ar the highest rated of the week. I can’t see Ten being able to get anything up.

I know I will be mocked.

I would almost reboot a national flagship Ten News 6pm Sundays - into the reality tentpoles at 7.

5pm - a lifestyle/magazine/travel show
6pm - Ten News Sunday (a real flagship national news)
7pm - Reality

1 Like