Network Ten 2017

No offence taken. My point is that it is Australian drama which creates jobs and revenue for Australians. Which is ideally what we all want whether we like the show or not. The American shows are easily watched on online services.

2 Likes

I see where you are coming from. It would just be nice to have some different drama on TV instead of all these romantic female geared dramas that seem to be popping up on all the networks.

1 Like

Totally agree and something I pointed out a few posts above. Hopefully Ten invest in a few different television dramas. I guess why Ten are investing in female dramas is to put together a 30+ week Wednesday schedule. Obviously Ten have made a fair bit of money from their Wednesday line up and want to have that revenue for a longer period of time. It wouldn’t be ideal for Ten to have a male targeted drama in that Wednesday slot after having 2 more female skewed dramas in that slot for 20+ weeks, and I guess they don’t want the awful shares and demos they had when they aired Madam Secretary there last year.

Tuesdays are their more male skewed night and an Australian police drama or crime series would be great there when NCIS is in repeat mode. Shark Tank is another show that could easily slot in there. Mondays and Thursdays seem to be where they want to target that light entertainment genre which ABC, Nine nor Seven seem to tap into (minus Footy Show). Sundays are another night where light entertainment isn’t catered for but Ten have continued to air dramas.

Ten do need to look at the targets of the other networks and make sure they are accommodating for another audience that isn’t accommodated for.

Ten don’t focus outside of prime time unfortunately.

They seem to neglect day parts at their peril.

Hoping for 9:30 weeknights chat show.

1 Like

Didn’t even think about that, let’s hope it definitely is that

What FTA needs is someone doing a real life court show.

1 Like

Judge Judy Australia? But obviously an Australian judge

As long as its not Hamish & Andy

I would love to see an australian drama around this. They have pilotted a Judge Gina reality. No one picked it up. Cost and laws could up the price.

1 Like

What about Pete Helliar?

I would like it to be Gretel. She is very composed and well articulated.

5 Likes

100% agree, would be the best decision they could make.

2 Likes

Who cares where a show is produced?

It’s actually got a lot to do with Film Victoria & Screen NSW, who fund them.

You should read the latest Screen Australia report, it’s a great read.

Interesting take outs

On Russell Coight:

Whilst the upfronts this year where somewhat underwhelming & overall very quiet, it seems that they are very aware of the plugs in their schedule & what they need to be doing to fill these. Obviously at the end of the day it comes down to money (or lack thereof) & controlled spending without huge risk to turn the network around and make it profitable again. I hope we’re surprised with some new commissions or additions to the schedule next year, along with the new shows already announced to continue their current line-up & momentum on previous years.

This from a man who is obsessed with posting about Melbourne/Victoria.

7 Likes

I am not “obsessed” with Melbourne or Victoria.

1 Like

Unless it’s in Melbourne

5 Likes

LOL

4 Likes

Fair point. However, even Ten concedes that it needs more diversity in its dramas. Three similar dramas all set in the same location is hardly diverse. I’m not sure that throwing in a 2 part mini-series addresses that issue. Beverley McGarvey’s claim that it’s too late to schedule another drama next year is complete bullshit.
As we’ve seen with Wanted on Seven, Doctor Doctor on Nine & the Kettering Incident on Fox, audiences will watch dramas that aren’t filmed in Melbourne.

2 Likes

My ribs hurt. T’was a hearty chortle.

2 Likes