Netflix

So we’d have a vibrant industry like New Zealand? Government can’t fund television alone.

3 Likes

Some good ideas there but so much more money thrown at productions than Australia can provide to compete. Just have a look at the story I posted above about “Pine Gap”.

Well why not have the same regulations fir streaming that you do for television? Screen Australia will fund it but if streaming services funded too, you will get better quality productions.

Just letting our industry die and funnel all our funds overseas is not the way to go.

2 Likes

Ahhhh… Good old Mount Thomas. The country town which became the crime captial of Australia.

1 Like

You shag one sheep…

So producing crap content is ok as long as it supports a local industry?

Resolve some of the funding issues (like the arbitrary cap on drama episodes that has seen a lot of modern drama end prematurely and encourage svod providers to invest in joint projects with local broadcasters (who retain local rights and Netflix get distribution rights for ROW)

1 Like

Netflix has confirmed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt will finish with the upcoming fourth season, however producers are in talks for a movie that would bring the series to an end.

Part 1 streaming 30 May

Netflix has confirmed Helena Bonham Carter will replace Vanessa Kirby for the role of Princess Margaret in the third season of The Crown, while Jason Watkins has been cast to play British Prime Minister Harold Wilson. However the show won’t be seen until 2019.

More like “takes over” the role, rather than “replaces” the actress. They’re moving ahead in time so most (if not all) of the cast has changed.

1 Like

Season 2 - 18 May

2 Likes

https://studentedge.org/article/come-on-the-fifth-season-of-arrested-development-wont-debut-on-netflix-in-australia

Whoops.

1 Like

Oh well, I’ll just watch it the same way I did when Season 4 was first released: through a VPN.

You - coming soon

1 Like

That’s annoying.

But if you read that article it says in it :

“We’ve reached out to Foxtel to ask if they still hold the “first-run” rights to AD, and will update this article accordingly (probably with the voice of Ron Howard’s narrator, saying, as a sardonic aside, “they did” or “they didn’t”.)”

So is it actually confirmed that Foxtel has it ? No article actually confirms it … just bases it on the fact they used to have it years ago…

Could it end up like say Orange Is The New Black … on both services?

I like the look of it but I feel its very Gossip Girl.

I don’t know… I hope so though.
US Netflix states AD S5 coming May 29 but AU Netflix has no such remark when you browse to the title.

Netflix List of Recommended Smart TVs for 2018

Getting a new TV but not sure where to start? Good news: we’re here to help and have already done a bunch of research for you (stopwatch included). Today, we’re excited to announce our 2018 recommendations for TVs that are faster and easier to use than ever.

From surveying our members, we know that people buying a smart TV care most about price, picture quality, screen size, and ease of use. While some of this is easy to research, it’s hard to know about things like device performance and ease of use. So, we want to shine a light on these important aspects.

When you see the “Netflix Recommended TV” logo, it means that device has passed rigorous testing to ensure great performance and easy access to Netflix and other services. This means the TV:
•Starts up instantly and gets to Netflix (or other internet TV services) within just a few seconds.
•Allows users to move quickly and easily between apps
•Comes with the latest version of Netflix
•Can support newer, more immersive Netflix browsing experiences, like video previews

In order to receive the designation, the TV must meet 5 out of 7 criteria (listed here).

What’s more, all of the models designated include a Netflix button on the remote control which means viewers can start watching instantly with the press of a single button. Magic. And our stopwatches come in handy, because we make sure you can power on your TV and start watching in just a matter of seconds.

Here is the first wave of 2018 Netflix Recommended TVs:
•LG 4K UHD TVs with webOS 4.0
•Sony W800F / WF800 series Android TVs

Not sure if above are available in Australia yet.