Netflix

Continues from the old forum

C21 reporting that Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has announced that the US streamer is launching in a further 130 countries immediately, including India, Turkey, Russia and South Korea.

coming to Netflix in 2016:

3%,
Chelsea Does (Jan. 23)
The Crown,
Flaked,
The Frontier,
Fuller House (Feb. 26)
The Get Down,
Lady Dynamite,
Love,
Marvel’s Luke Cage,
Marseille,
The OA,
The Ranch,
A Series of Unfortunate Events,
Stranger Things.

Gypsy - a new 10 part series is coming to Netflix in 2017:

Gypsy follows the journey of Jean Holloway – a therapist who begins to develop dangerous and intimate relationships with the people in her patients’ lives. Liza Chasin and Lisa Rubin will serve as executive producers, with Rubin also serving as writer. Rubin’s additional upcoming projects include adapting best-selling novel I Was Here by Gayle Forman for New Line and adapting the novel Food Whore for DreamWorks. Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are also executive producers.

Plus apparently Netflix has launched in 130 additional countries today #NetflixEverywhere

I have finally jumped on Netflix and love it.

Just started watching the series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt created by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock. The show stars Ellie Kemper and Jane Krakowski.

as I wrote three above :stuck_out_tongue:

awesome - and that show is freaking amazing. So, so damn funny.

1 Like

Has Netflix announced any local dramas yet? I signed up for the free trial on Presto and it wasn’t too bad. I hope Netflix doesn’t drop the 8 ball if there are serious about expansion here. Relying on US dramas and other imports isn’t really going to help with expansion much, especially with the slew of outstanding Foxtel dramas.

For some reason I only read the four countries you mentioned and skipped the 130 part.

Netflix has announced it is cracking down on overseas users wanting to access movies and TV shows not available in their own country using proxy and unblocking services: blog

From Netflix:

“That means in coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are.”

Full release:

Evolving Proxy Detection as a Global Service

If all of our content were globally available, there wouldn’t be a reason for members to use proxies or “unblockers” to fool our systems into thinking they’re in a different country than they’re actually in. We are making progress in licensing content across the world and, as of last week, now offer the Netflix service in 190 countries, but we have a ways to go before we can offer people the same films and TV series everywhere.

Over time, we anticipate being able to do so. For now, given the historic practice of licensing content by geographic territories, the TV shows and movies we offer differ, to varying degrees, by territory. In the meantime, we will continue to respect and enforce content licensing by geographic location.

Some members use proxies or “unblockers” to access titles available outside their territory. To address this, we employ the same or similar measures other firms do. This technology continues to evolve and we are evolving with it. That means in coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are. We are confident this change won’t impact members not using proxies.

We look forward to offering all of our content everywhere and to consumers being able to enjoy all of Netflix without using a proxy. That’s the goal we will keep pushing towards.

David Fullagar Vice President of Content Delivery Architecture at Netflix

Ah well, back to torrents via my VPN then.

from reading Facebook and other sources, many people will be doing the same as you.

Nooo! Ugh. Well I guess that’s going to encourage another spike in torrent downloads.

What the title says:

1 Like

I am sure the geo crackdowns will be easily passed by the providers of such services.
I wouldn’t be surprised though if this was just Netflix taking a stronger stance to appease the rights holders, despite all their own exclusive shows Netflix are still heavily reliant on licensing the rights to outside content.

If in fact they do lock it down and it can’t be bypassed I will still retain my sub but will give me a good opportunity to trial and check out Stan/Presto as I haven’t looked at them much yet.

It will also unfortunately increase my torrent use which has been significantly reduced to almost nothing since I got both Netflix and Hulu.

Netflix has renewed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for the third season. It also revealed details of 11 new and returning dramas, including its first ever French-language drama Marseille (filmed entirely in France): Press release

1 Like

Netflix starts blocking Australian customers from US catalogue
Sydney Morning Herald

Another trailer from Netflix