Neighbours

1 Like

Has Neighbours ever been so popular in nominations? It must be the UK audience voting heavily after Morey’s performance.

There was a huge push from some of the UK fan groups, complete with instructions on how to vote and how to pick an Australian postcode.

When was the last time Neighbours had a Gold Logie nominee?

1 Like

Delta Goodrem in 2004 I think. She was nominated for her role of Nina Tucker but her Neighbours stint was cut short after she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Rove McManus won that year.

It will be pretty embarrassing for Neighbours if Morey does win, given they sacked her. They can’t even bring her back.

2 Likes

Natalie Bassingthwaighte was nominated in 2006.

Natalie Blair was nominated in 2007 and 2008.

2 Likes

Of course they can. It’s a soap.

They could say her death was a fake out to catch Andrea or something lol

1 Like

Doesn’t she have a job working behind the scenes now?

2 Likes

Then again, Eve Morey, Ryan Moloney and Neighbours were probably only nominated for the brilliant exit storyline that she had.

Yes, part time coaching other actors.

4 Likes

Deservedly so both gave amazing performances in that heartbreaking storyline.
I would love to see both win the Logie.

1 Like

I think it might be the first time Neighbours has received a nomination in the “Most Outstanding” peer voted categories too.

Remembering that the Logie Awards shifted away from having peer-voted categories, to having mostly popularly voted categories from the mid-1970s to early 1990s. So even in its heyday, Neighbours couldn’t get those sorts of nominations.

1 Like

Another one I missed but a fan remembered on NeighboursFans was Ian Smith in 2009. How could you forget the Harold for a Gold Logie campaign? :wink:

2 Likes

This shows how Neighbours can knock it out of the park with some storylines. It’s such a shame there is no consistency and fantastic episodes are surrounded by repetitive (and boring) love triangles and attempts at humerous storylines that come across as childish slapstick. I am looking forward to the Dee/Andrea resolution, but a little apprehensive that they won’t pull it off in a way that satisfies the viewer.

5 Likes

Well you’ve said that perfectly. I honestly don’t think too many couples could’ve pulled off the Sonya dying storyline as well as Eve and Ryan. They obviously have huge chemistry, trust and respect in each others ability to do the storyline justice.

4 Likes

Where on earth are the writers heading with this horrible Elly/Mark/Finn storyline? I’m assuming they decided to break up Elly and Mark so she can hook up with Finn again, and perhaps his memory will come back without Elly realising, etc etc, but who knows. And who are the writers trying to make us feel sorry for, Elly or Mark?

I really dislike the way some storylines are made to show someone as the victim, when clearly their behaviour shows otherwise. An example is Mason on H&A. A couple of years ago he was a student doctor at the hospital and was dating a girl who needed a heart transplant. Another woman was on life support, and Mason actively tried to get the family to turn off their daughter’s life support so her heart could be given to his girlfriend! His behaviour was appalling and he should’ve been kicked out of medicine for good but the storyline somehow portrayed him as the victim.

And the same is happening with Elly. How dare she tell Finn’s brother to keep away because she’s ‘focussing on fixing her marriage to Mark’. He’s the father of the child for crying out loud! And if she hadn’t cheated on Mark twice then they may still be together. Are we supposed to feel sorry for her, and worse, believe she’s doing the right thing by telling Finn’s brother to stay away from his unborn child?

I find it so frustrating that the writers try to make us feel sorry for people who are behaving so badly.

1 Like

Well at least it isn’t another parent and child dating the same person. We have Garry/Amy/Kyle, Terese/Paul/Leo and Terese/ her neice and the new guy Vance. Please stop.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Piper/Leo/Terese…yuk.

2 Likes

Another blast from the past: Gillian and Gayle Blakeney are returning to Neighbours in a cameo, reprising their roles as Caroline and Christina respectively.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/gossip-queen-neighbours-set-for-double-trouble-as-two-beloved-characters-return-after-27-years/news-story/8e22b0441f24365c33fa58bc1078c7a6

EDIT: as requested, here is an excerpt:

But the LA-based sisters who quit acting 25 years ago admit they were not aware the soap was still in production when contacted in January by producers and asked to reprise their roles of Caroline (Gillian) and Christina (Gayle) Alessi.

“The show is not on air in America and we did not even know it was still going,” Gayle said.

“It was not something that was in our thinking,” Gayle said. “We are both happily married, we have children and we are living our lives but when they contacted us we were like, ‘Why not?’.

The twins will film three episodes before returning to LA on Friday.

The Blakeney twins, now 56, joined Neighbours in 1990 before leaving the show at different stages in 1992.

3 Likes