Neighbours

Yeah, it’s ‘time to say goodbye to Sonya’. Well it’s time Ch10 kept up with their encore screening each afternoon. Such a good storyline with brilliant acting and all we end up with is repeats of DWTS and Takeaway, followed by a shortened version of Entertainment Tonight…

1 Like

Apparently Morey was sacked. Shame really but it looks like an excellent exit storyline.I

1 Like

From what I heard Eve quit to spend more time with her young family.

That’s wrong. She was let go at the beginning of last year.

Are you able to share the article please? This isn’t what I’d heard because I was under the impression this was her choice.

Very disappointing if what you say is true.

Footnote: I just found the article. Yep, very disappointing.

1 Like

Not quite. Eve Morey’s contract was not renewed. She explained what happened in an interview with Digital Spy.

It was due to budgetary constraints and the fact she wanted to work less hours. She has been on the show for over nine years so she would be one of the highest actors on the show now.

When she came back from maternity leave a year ago, after the birth of her second child, she had been doing only two episodes per week. She knew a year ago that they would only extend her contract for one more year.

Disappointing for her because she wanted to stay with the show with a reduced workload.

3 Likes

At the end of Digital Spy interview, Eve mentions she will be start doing some drama coaching on Neighbours, so she will still be part of the soap for a little while, just not on the screen.

1 Like

She was also offered a chance to direct episodes but chose not to do that at this stage. Her husband, Jonathan Dutton, who was also an actor on the show is back to being one of the regular directors. He hasn’t done much in the past year since they had their second child together.

1 Like

if you googled eve names you will find it

Here is the interview:

1 Like

One of the best on Neighbours, a shame to see her go, but what a powerful storyline. Would’ve been nice to actually notch up 10 years.

It means after her there’s a handful of years gap between the next longest serving in the modern era*

(*modern era meaning those who aren’t Paul/Lou/Karl/Susan/Toadie dating back to mid-1990s or earlier).

The characters names all references to Prisoner characters /actresses -
Meg Fletcher
Fiona Bennett
Chrissie Reynolds
Erica King

Funny lines referencing Prisoner -
Too hot in here feel like l’m burning alive.(Jentah Sobott- who played Heather 'Mouse’Trapp the character died in the prison fire)

What do you think Chrissie your quiet as a mouse over there.

He reminds me of my cousin Fletch The Letch we use to call him… he could use my steam press anytime.

My husband gave my roses l wish he could again.

I have a friend Doreen cried all the time grown woman but she still slept with a teddy bear.

4 Likes

It was nice seeing the Prisoner actresses appear in tonight’s episode. And make references to Prisoner. It was a nice touch.

On the other note - it is sad to read about Sonja’s (Eve Morey) leave the show. As much as I dislike spoilers, I guess I guess I am happy that there is some talk about her departure. We haven’t had a death of a major character for some time now.

2 Likes

The Women Of Erinsborough Unite.

Friday 8 March at 6.30pm

Neighbours Celebrates International Women’s Day With An All-Female Episode.

Starring women, directed by women, celebrating women. That’s right, for the very first time Neighbours will air its first all-female episode next Friday, 8 March in celebration of International Women’s Day.

While the drama never stops in Ramsay Street, some of the women take time out to honour one of Sonya Rebecchi’s (Eve Morey) final wishes – to acknowledge, celebrate and support women, to share their female heroes with each other and to help those in need.

Piper (Mavournee Hazel) and Terese Willis (Rebekah Elmaloglou) resolve to finish one of Sonya’s final community initiatives and package together all the donations for the women’s shelter and distribute them.
As the pair commence rallying their fellow neighbours to assist them, Piper decides that she will interview each of the women in Ramsay Street about their female heroes for a special episode on her video blog. And, just for a moment all the drama fades away, as they each reflect on the women that have helped shape them, inspire them and motivate them.

Neighbours actress, Jackie Woodburne said: “International Women’s Day is so important because it reminds us that we still have a way to go in gender equity.

“It’s a global drive, but to see it reflected in the context of a suburban town like Erinsborough, makes it more personal and relevant to us all. I’m so proud Neighbours continues to address current and relevant issues in such an entertaining and accessible way,” Jackie said.

Network 10 Executive Producer of Neighbours, Sara Richardson said: “International Women’s Day is a time to reflect on progress, to call for change and to celebrate the courage and determination of women. We have a brilliant and inclusive team on Neighbours who are proud to celebrate and recognise the crucial role of women. We want this generation and the next to know they can achieve anything they set their minds to.”

The very first all-female episode will hit screens next Friday, 8 March at 6.30pm only on 10 Peach.

4 Likes

I think Kate Kendall directed the special all-female episode.

Virtue signalling identity politics carry on like this is why the show has lost so many Australian viewers. People aren’t watching these shows to get messages about gender equity and gay rights rammed down their throats.

1 Like

That’s why she’s in the centre of the photo.

1 Like

But it’s reflecting what is happening in our society now so it will also resonate with viewers.

2 Likes

Look at the ratings. It’s not.

The episode hasn’t aired yet and you’re attacking the ratings. Riiiiiight.

Granted, it’ll perform no better than any other show would at 6:30pm on a multichannel, but that’s on Ten from bumping it from the main channel.

2 Likes