Neighbours

I am attacking the ratings from the past. Did the gay wedding boost them?

3 Likes

Mardi Gras Remix of the theme - will feature on their parade entry.

1 Like

Susan looks identical in both pics, nothing has moved :joy:

2 Likes

Photoshopped in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Virtue signalling identity politics carry on like this is why the show has lost so many Australian viewers. People aren’t watching these shows to get messages about gender equity and gay rights rammed down their throats.

Wow, I used to respect you on here, but after this comment…Enjoy the dark ages. Don’t come crying back to us when the candles go out.

1 Like

It’s a storyline featuring women’s issues. The men haven’t been left out of the episode completely. It’s just that the women are involved in helping out at a women’s shelter.

It’s one episode out of 250. Get over it.

5 Likes

What’s your point? You think I’m a sexist and homophobe because I don’t think soaps should make a point of advocating for rights or jumping on the bandwagon of symbolic days of which there are so many that achieve so little? Why couldn’t they focus on something more pressing like mental health days?

1 Like

you make it sound like soaps have never covered social topics before. They’ve been a staple of soaps since the year dot. Number 96 did storylines about domestic violence, breast cancer and teenagers taking drugs. A Country Practice did stories about rape, nuclear war and AIDS. GP covered just about every social issue and medical disease under the sun. It’s nothing new that Neighbours is doing stories about current social issues.

I watched it tonight on catch up. Enjoyed the subtle nods to Prisoner.

4 Likes

They do that too. They had a storyline for RUOK day in recent years.

And they often feature fundraising days for things like cancer on Daffodil Day and Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea with storylines or mentions on the actual days.

3 Likes

They do have mental health storylines staggered through episodes. However, I think that condition is different to gender equality and same-sex couples. The media (even the news) has to tread very carefully with mental health.

4 Likes

Apologies I did not mean to make it sound like I think soaps don’t cover social issues. I mean they don’t cover social issue events and initiatives. I think it looks silly. Doesn’t matter whether it’s gay or straight, refugee or Australian born etc. I think it looks tacky, tokenistic and detracts from the actual story of the issue and impact on the character itself. Imagine if they all went to the cricket with a breast cancer sufferer and dressed in pink and put out a press release about it.

They’ve been filming in Sydney today with special guest Courtney Act.

3 Likes

You’re beyond help if that’s what you think.

2 Likes

Imagine the outcry if they did and all male episode. Trigger trigger trigger. I agree with th poster above somewhere, they don’t need to shove this shit down our throat.

1 Like

Well who’s telling you to watch it . If it offends you so much , don’t watch it. This isn’t the 1950s. Your talking about suppression of social issues that have pgroessed and are important to young people. To see it represented on television in a way they can identify themselves with those characters. I work with young people, and these issues are important.

I’m sure it’s important to other people as well.

5 Likes

Yeah, imagine that :thinking:

Nobody is telling me to watch it. Did I say anyone was? Did I say I was offended? Don’t put words in my mouth please. Representation does matter. You’re not listening to what I’m saying. They shouldn’t be going to events or emphasising initiatives. I’m not saying don’t have gay characters that fall in love, go to parties, do drug, have unprotected sex etc. I am against stunt location shoots that seem out of the dramatic world. This is a soap about a suburban community, examining what goes on it. My issue extends beyond the social issues to which you refer. It’s about the stunt storylines and cameos even. I didn’t like it when Ed Sheerhan was on there and I don’t like Courtney Act being there. The Magda wedding character was just bizarre. The soap has strayed and it shows in the ratings. Dispute what I’m saying all you like but please do not misrepresent what I am saying to suit your own agenda.

1 Like

I agree that stunt casting can tend to go overboard (e.g. Tim the Bachelor?) but it can be a bit of fun (i.e. the Prisoner cast).

But again this is nothing new and Neighbours isn’t alone. Number 96 had Carlotta making a cameo being seduced by Arnold Feather who hadn’t twigged that she “wasn’t a girl”.

But who remembers Molly Meldrum making a cameo in Neighbours? Warwick Capper? The Pet Shop Boys? And Home And Away has indulged too with John Farnham and Lleyton Hewitt just casually turning up in Summer Bay.

It just comes with the territory