Neighbours

To me, Neighbours was an old and dear friend I had known for years. Although we occasionally lost touch, and had our ups and downs, we always found our way back to each other. A friend I took for granted would always be here or hereabouts, but now have to face the very real and sobering fact they are gone… for good.

3 Likes

He didn’t have that much dialogue, either?

He did have a stint playing one of Sonya Stevens laywers in Season 6 of Wentworth back in 2018. And i do remember hearing his voice in an ad a few months ago.

I know for a fact as All Saints was a Seven in house production, there is more freedom around the rights for this. Blue Heelers though, as it was made my Southern Star, I think they came to a mutual arrangement on rights after the series ended for them to rerun on TV as well as the 7plus. Interestingly Amazon also has Blue Heelers on the platform as well, however it is only SD rights which I find interesting

So Neighbours I could see it go to someone like Amazon, but I doubt any other network would pick up the full catalogue.
I think it’s obvious that 10 won’t pay for the rights and doubt paramount would be interested based off the limited current catalogue on P+

On another note, a very interesting line in the article from Stefan Dennis…

I’ve heard a couple of whispers from people I know, who are quite high up in the industry, who’ve said: ‘Don’t you worry. It’s not going to die’. It’s very easy for anybody to say that, but when it’s coming from the people whose mouths it came out of, I’d maybe listen to it.

3 Likes

At least they have ended the show in such a way that it could be picked up again - “six months later”, “two years later” etc. At first I thought they were going to have almost everyone leave the street, and I’m glad they didn’t go down that road in the end (though involving the Rodwells in this plot was a bit unnecessary). Obviously not all the cast would return but hopefully it would involve a good handful of familiar faces. All hypothetical, of course.

8 Likes

Seems quite a lot of comments about Kylie’s appearance in the finale, both in the media and on various forums. People are saying she was so stuck up that she didn’t want to associate with the other cast, the regularly commented ‘pay per word’ stuff and numerous other comments. I thought she and Jason were only meant to be on the show briefly, which they were, so is there something I’m missing here?

3 Likes

Just had a thought - didn’t Neighbours count towards Eleven/Peach’s local drama quota? Or was it Ten’s quota in general? If the former wouldn’t they have to replace it with something else locally produced?

Networks were able to change the rules so drama on the multichannels contribute to their total quota. Ten will need to produce enough drama in future to meet the quotas (unless they lobby the government to drop them, which the networks are trying to do).

Regarding Neighbours, Ten have already met the quota in 2022 with the number of hours they have broadcast. They are also allowed to carry over drama points to a following year if they have already met a quota. So technically, Ten can stretch their points for Neighbours into 2023, so they don’t have to produce more drama until 2024.

1 Like

Plus they have a few shows from Paramount+ that they can run on the 10 stations for first run drama points, so I imagine they are fine until 2024 at least.

2 Likes

Do they qualify for “first run drama” on network television if they’ve already run on a streaming service? Seems odd that it would be allowed.

Though really Kylie has only become fond of her beginnings as she’s got older. When she was younger I don’t think that was always the case.

But it is the first time on TV, so it counts. Did Neighbours not count when the UK was ahead of Australia in terms of airing?

Last week’s finale has a 7-day rolling BVOD audience of 99,000.

I watched it on YouTube, it’s definitely got huge numbers both legitimately and illegitimately.

The Neighbours Finale Total TV Audience was 1,383,000.

5 Likes

It’s first run in Australia. Doesn’t matter if it screens overseas first. If they’re making it for a streaming service then screening it on television a year or two years later, I’m not sure of that should count as “first run” in Australia.

If it counts, 7, 9 and 10 may just buy Disney, Amazon and Binge Aussie product and run it on network television for the points. This may just be the way of the future though.

10’s biggest total audience since Oprah With Meghan And Harry in 2021

3 Likes
2 Likes

Sunday Herald Sun reports that whilst on Sam Newman’s podcast, Nicola Charles mentioned she has signed the paperwork to be in a documentary called “Neighbours made me a star”. She did not say if it was aligned to a network.