Neighbours

First regular night with no Neighbours. How sad.

10 Likes

They should have taken it back starting from the year 2000 and just have okd eps play from now on

3 Likes

I think there’s a payment that must be made when they rerun episodes more than X amount of time from airing.

1 Like

As well as the rights 10 have will have lapsed or soon to.

3 Likes

So that news report from the daily mail was wrong…

There have also been some reports stating that sets are being demolished on the Nunawading site.

This is incorrect.

“We haven’t made any decisions about the sets and nothing has been demolished,” Herbison continued.

“We are in the fortunate position of having the Nunawading studios for several more months and we will be utilising the site for other productions, including Riptide, which is currently being filmed. This gives us plenty of time to make provisions.”

Riptide is in production by Fremantle for 10 / Channel 5.

via Jason The producer on the tvtonight article

2 Likes

If my memory serves correct, the National Museum in Canberra features a lot of items from Australian cultural history. It would be awesome to see a complete studio set feature in a permanent exhibition.

Here’s a question, if you could only keep one set, which one represents the show best? I’d go with the Kennedy’s set. Harold’s a near second.

the Melbourne Museum used to have the old Robinson kitchen set on display. No idea if it’s still there.

4 Likes

Which is what millions of people say every day. :wink:

7 Likes

If the National Museum in Canberra (or the film and sound archive also in Canberra) decide to feature some sets, id say that Harold’s Cafe set would be the front runner. Followed by some of the Lassiters signage, and then the portraits of Mrs Mangle and the Kennedy kids.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a touring exhibition put together with old neighbours sets etc. Especially for the UK and here.

1 Like

Surely makes more sense to house them somewhere in Melbourne considering anybody that interested (frankly more likely to be UK tourists) would probably want to visit the street as well.

Yes, true, that would make more sense.

As someone asked earlier, does the Melbourne Museum still hold the Robinson Kitchen (as it was stored there in the early 2000’s). If its not there, then that museum could store some Neighbours Memorabilia. Not sure where else they could store the sets

sets are a massive thing to transport and have to dismantle and restore constantly. It can be done but the logistics are probably not conducive.

The national film and sound archive have just completed digitizing the first 6500 episodes of neighbours so hopefully we see episodeS from the beginning soon.

2 Likes

digitising is only part of it. It’s made more complicated as there can be the cost of rights and any royalties. That’s why it’s much easier for Ten to just run more 30-year-old episodes of Friends in that timeslot as that’s cheap content and will probably get as many viewers.

2 Likes

Do you reckon they can rerun neighbours on ten or streaming platforms the tv networks should pay for the right it’s an iconic soap opera tv it lasted for 37 years on free to air tv surely it should be screened again for a new generation

I get the reasoning but if I was in charge of programming and faced with the choice of paying for old episodes of Neighbours, and all the overheads that come with that, or instead slotting in a Friends episode that I can get for next to nothing… I know which way I’d go.

The streaming platforms like 7+ and 10P seem to have more freedom to make some of the older shows available (e.g. Prisoner, Sons And Daughters, Blue Heelers, All Saints, A Country Practice), so maybe Neighbours could be an option there one day. But it will always boil down to how much $$$, and Fremantle could just jack up the price of Neighbours because it’s Neighbours.

1 Like

At least Guy Pearce got more Screen Time than Jason & Kylie given the 3 along with Annie Jones who played Jane, Were the Four Musketeers of Neighbours’ 1980’s Heyday.

I think that is only half the story, especially when Kylie said considerably less than Scott. The EP was never going to be critical of his guests.

There were scenes where Scott might as well have been talking to himself. The scenes at the car and reflecting on Charlene’s ‘break-in’ at Number 24 were notable for more monologue than dialogue. Kylie’s silence in some scenes said more than what she actually did. I still suspect she couldn’t (wouldn’t) commit to rehearsing lines.

1 Like