Neighbours

Despite the media hype over the years, ultimately I think there would be a pretty healthy respect between Neighbours and H&A. No other drama shows on Australian TV produce over 200 episodes per year. I think the average is around 8-10 episodes per season. Some people laugh at soaps, turning their nose up at them and refusing to accept roles because they believe it’s below them, but shit, everyone on those two shows works so bloody hard. I have so much respect for them.

8 Likes

A good example of what you are talking about from H&A veteran Lynne McGranger.

6 Likes

Some interesting casting news for the final weeks of Neighbours. Joe Klocek (Nowhere Boys, The Dry) is joining the cast as Byron Stone, brother of Nicolette Stone and son of Jane Harris.

Also, Barry Dubois (The Living Room) will be playing a married man who Amy Greenwood is attracted to.

3 Likes

Oh who isn’t bloody Amy attracted to?? Surely they could’ve done a lot more with her character than have her running from man to man.

1 Like

I get daily overnight ratings for Channel 5. Neighbours on Channel 5 gets higher ratings than anything on 5 bar the 89pm primetime hour. And does even better in young adults.

It doesn’t make sense to me they didn’t want to continue it

3 Likes

What’s the cost per head though. C5 was tipping in a heap of coin - just because it makes rating sense it might not make financial sense.

1 Like

I reckon it was a case that C5 wanted the show but to not inject anywhere near as much money and that’s why it fell over.

But I really think the decision was by Paramount. Especially now with the joint UK and Aussie drama announcement… one product for two markets and then paramount + I guess that’s how they see they save money?

I don’t know. A heap of coin? How do we know that.

5 nights a week soap is a cheap format - especially spread across 2 Paramount budget sheets (10 and 5) and Paramount would not pay the full costs. Freemantle also has international sales

5 nights a week soap is quite a cheap format.

I think as @MBB points out - it’s more that 5 nights a week soap does not fit into Paramounts streaming future. I think its probably great bang for buck - but they want High end elevated scripted content across portfolio. Not soap.

Sure - two balance sheets, but 5 were the main funders of a imported soap from outside their market, albeit one that rated well. At some point or other, that cost becomes onerous. Also - just because it is rating better than primetime, it’s more an indicator of their primetime schedule not being up to scratch.

This I agree with to an extent, but they face a credibility programme in both of those markets with their linear brands, which they are trying to remedy in the UK currently.

1 Like

What’s troublesome about an import with a cheap format that requires almost no marketing and is one of your network’s top raters?

Disagree on 5’s primetime lineup. It’s actually doing better than it ever has historically.

Neighbours also airs in primetime at 6pm on 5 in between 5 news at 5 and a game show at 630. Im, not sure what 5 intends to put at 6pm?

If it is home and away - that rates considerably less than neighbours in the UK. So that will be quite a ratings drop at 6pm for them

Because you can’t do anything with it. It’s not growing, the ‘host’ market wants nothing to do with it. It’s an anchor weighing down the network to an extent. Their commitment was more than buying in just a cheap soap from overseas.

I saw something the other day that the lunchtime airing was outrating the teatime broadcast? Not sure if that’s true, but again - that is not actually a good thing. You can’t build or leverage off that.

I’m not following your argument. Not many stripped shows on FTA are growing. Nor are they expected to. You can grow a timeslot but replacing one striped show with another. But there is a reason ACA, Home and Away, The Chase, Entertainment Tonight, The One show etc - stay around forever.

No doubt Paramount/5 decided they didn’t want neighbours.

But how do you see it as an anchor weighing the network down - when it is the second - 4th most watched show on the network?

Not fitting into their future strategy - Sure - but anchor weighing down? How so?

Correct the daytime screening is the one that gets the large numbers. It’s the first run. 6pm is a repeat and up against BBC and ITV News.

I can’t imagine whatever 5 replaces Neighbours with will attract the same audience. Especially in young adults

2 Likes

The final opening titles have now appeared on Channel 5. They will be on 10 Peach in coming weeks.

4 Likes

I actually think we’re vaguely on the same page here.

In a streaming-first world, I don’t believe the economics of having a show rate so highly out of linear primetime stack up, especially given soaps are not really built for the streaming world (catch-up services, yes).

A show that worked well for both Channel 10 and Channel 5… I am amazed that Paramount couldn’t make this work. Instead, they are now investing money into UK actors coming down-under to create joint UK/Australian productions.

1 Like

1 Like

Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery in Hobart has brought out Charlene’s wedding dress for display.

Stefan Dennis’s daughter Darci will have a cameo role in an upcoming episode,Stefan’s son Declan had a recurring role on the show playing Louis Curtain between 2020 and 2022.

1 Like

Lucinda Cowden (Melanie) has tested positive to COVID.

Probably won’t be the only one either.