NBN (The other one)

just a quick question my half of where i live is getting the nbn in march and im with telstra now i been told coz we r fttn all we can get is 25mbs when we get connected is that right ??? or is it coz its with telstra

My understanding was that Optus (and Telstra) ran cable down every street they could without regard for whether it was able to service anyone or not.

It depends on how far away you are from the node. If you are < 200m from the node, then you should be able to get 100mb download, but if you are very far away from it, then you might be lucky to get 25mb.

Also depends on how congested your area is.

Iā€™ve been spending my weekend preparing my case to ditch my RSP. Iā€™m now getting the 97Mbps for a period from around 1am - 8am and all the rest of the time itā€™s slowing and slowing until it gets to around 0.5Mbps. Impossible to watch Fetch or download files or do anything useful.

Iā€™ve signed up for a trial with Launtel who are the ones offering gigabit speeds for the lucky bastards in Launnie and Hobart with FTTP but for me Iā€™ll be able to get the 100Mbps plan where they make sure the contention isnā€™t an issue. Apparently you can change the service speed daily too so I can go for a cheaper 25Mb plan and then ramp up to 100 if Iā€™m planning on downloading heaps on the weekend and things are charged on a daily basis.
Support has been good so far too, I used the contact form after I accidentally signed up for the free trial and then explained I was under contract still with my current provider and within half an hour Iā€™d had 4 emails from the CEO with all sorts of useful info and links. Fingers crossed Iā€™ll be able to get a decent connection soon and also be released from early termination charges when I show the speeds being experienced regularly.

Iā€™m about 100m from our node and my sync speed in the modem is about 107Mb/s with speedtest getting from 92 - 104Mb/s when itā€™s at peak.

FTTC would be very nice! I knew with the 2013 election that our region would be completely shafted and we were, we were slated to have FTTP by the end of 2014 but that was all canned and we got FTTN in August last year.

and that speed is what telstra told me

that i dont know yet as i havent seen any nodes yet for my area of town

Still no ETA on when we will get the NBN

Yes, NBN.
. . .
. . .
. . .

Telstra may have told you that because youā€™re a fair distance from the node. But to be sure, have a look on NBN MTM Alpha map. Itā€™s a bit outdated but most areas have info. Should tell you how far your line travels from your planned node and what speeds to expect.

2 Likes

So further to my post the other day, after having a weekend of absolutely atrocious speeds on MyRepublic (98Mb/s until about 7:30am and then down to around 0.5 until midnight) my change to the Launtel trial occurred Monday afternoon and wow! Had a phone call from them confirming that theyā€™d do it, had a call from the wife 15 minutes later saying that the net wasnā€™t working. A reboot of the modem and it was up in 5 minutes. Been getting speeds from 60 - 90Mbps 24/7 now which is fantastic. The Fetch works like itā€™s meant to and downloads are successful and web pages actually load.
Iā€™ve just tested the plan speed switch because they operate on daily billing and switched my speed to the lowest 25/5 plan. Clicked go, the order changed to in progress and 5 minutes later my modem had rebooted and my speed has been a solid 23/5 the last couple of hours and the Fetch and everything still works. I reckon Iā€™ll go with the 50 plan though which will end up with me saving money still from the MyRepublic plans. The NBN will finally be back to usable! The network itself is ok (although should have been FTTP to be future proofed) so it shows how much the right RSP can make a difference.
Will have a fight with MyRepublic about the early termination but they still havenā€™t replied to my inital email to them so I wonā€™t bother chasing them up for another day.

4 Likes

Upgrade kicked in tonight at midnight AEDT. Not bad at all!

3 Likes

Iā€™m on NBN Tier 50

3 Likes

Same here, this is my speed this morning

1 Like

Hereā€™s mine on 100/40 this morning:

Local server:

Los Angeles AT&T server:

3 Likes

In Canberra.

3 Likes

Optus.

Any issues with them?

Thereā€™s been a couple of unannounced overnight outages for maintenance, and had to reboot the modem a few times, but itā€™s been 99.99% good.

2 Likes

Sadly, some of us are still stuck on ADSL :stuck_out_tongue:

But fear not, the rollout ETA at my place is now Jan-Mar 2019 rather than Jul-Dec 2019 :smiley: (and FTTC to boot)

Iā€™m just thankful that my connection is rock solid at this very speed, itā€™s just enough for 720p streaming and games.

3 Likes

Same here, still waiting for the MDF in my building to upgraded to get NBN, which is otherwise available in my area.

My NBN node is right outside my building so I should get a great speed (when it happens!). I think we HAVE to cut over by September this year before ADSL is switched off.

Though my ADSL 2 speed is pretty good for what it is.

IMG_0793

1 Like

Labor are promising to upgrade all the northern and north western FTTN sites to FTTP if they win the Tasmanian election.

The provider Iā€™ve switched to recently, Launtel have also just launched a new pricing structure too which they believe all ISPā€™s will change to eventually. Rather than being speed based or having a data quota and getting shaped, itā€™s now netload based. They take readings every minute (1440 a day) and order them from highest to lowest and the 121st reading is your netload for the day which is effectively your 2 hour average across the day. I cancelled my Fetch recordings the other day which had me getting a daily netload of around 6Mbps per day and Iā€™ve cut it down to about 1.5-2 per day.
The pricing works with a daily rate based on your speed - $2.50 for a 50Mb/s plan to $7.00 for gigabit and including 1Mb/s netload, any netload on top will be charged at 80c per Mb. All that happens when you reach your netload is that you go from a completely congestion free network to to a network with possible congestion so itā€™s a bit of a gamble but people can choose how perfect they want their connection to be. Going to be interesting to see how it goes.

Sounds a bit confusing.

Not sure that the general public will understand that.

4 Likes