NBN (The other one)

I didn’t think of that, they possibly are on a slow speed. Checked mine yesterday and it was 96/38 on the 100/40 plan.

1 Like

Problems getting the NBN installed? The answer could be to call the police.

1 Like

Whirlpool reporting that the NBN has dropped HFC from the rollout.

$800m to Optus and $5bln (incl. Copper) to Telstra for shitty old infrastructure that they should have just left to rot.

1 Like

Where can I find this?? I can’t find it on whirlpool

http://whrl.pl/Re4crr

http://whrl.pl/Re4d6a

1 Like

I live in a HFC area but still go through Telstra Cable.
I am pissed off if this is the case for me because it means we need to make a lot of changes at my house (unless they change to FTTP) :stuck_out_tongue:

It appears the reported letters are official confirmation to residents that the NBN install using the HFC cables has ‘paused’. I wouldn’t get too excited thinking that NBNCO has dropped using the HFC cable and are going all FTTP contrary to ministerial direction.

The main issue appears to be that NBN is interfering with Foxtel’s cable signals on Telstra HFC. Foxtel complained, and so the rollout stopped.

I think that Foxtel should have been kicked off the Telstra HFC network as the NBN was rolled out to new areas, and forced to move to an IP based solution for all fixed line connections. It’s a joke that Foxtel TV can continue to have unfettered monopoly access to the Telstra Cable network, even when NBNCo takes over it, and flies in the face of the open access model that the NBN is supposed to be.

Obviously the only reason that Foxtel continues to have access to the HFC network is because of their influence in Canberra.

Fortunately it appears that Foxtel has now been given a kick in the backside by NBN and appears to be aiming to migrate existing cable customers over to satellite by 2023.

3 Likes

I just got the NBN hooked up on Friday. I pay for a 50/20 plan from Aussie Broadband. Will definitely try the 100 Mb/s plan next month!

I’m pleased I’m getting what I pay for for the first time.

3 Likes

1 Like

Very positive start from a 50/20 plan. It’ll be interesting to see what numbers you get off 100/40.

2 Likes

Around 55 Mb/s. But I thought the RSP increases sync speed according to the plan I’m on?

I imagine it will be close to 100 Mb/s. There’s about 350m of copper from the node to my house.

The maximum line rate is what you can achieve and line rate is what the rsp sets ou at.

2 Likes

Just checked the NBN site.

My connection was previously slated to be an NBN HFC connection, but now it’s been changed to FTTN.

Disappointed is an understatement! We got rid of our ADSL connection because the quality of the copper was so poor. We used to get 10 megabits per second regularly around 2010, but it eventually just dropped to 3-4 megabits per second by 2015, with drop outs when it rained and stuff like that. Telstra would just brush us off whenever we complained.

I’ve been with Vividwireless ever since, and they’ve provided an outstanding service for the past few years. Much more reliable than that shitty copper.

That sucks!
We were going to get HFC but it now says NBN isn’t available in my area (since all the HFC dramas) so hopefully we don’t change to FTTN either! We can manage 120mb down on Telstra Cable.

1 Like

I think the Telstra cable areas are going to remain as HFC with NBN. It’s the Optus Cable areas which are a big problem.

I didn’t get an Optus Cable connection when we moved in because we live in an apartment, and from what I understand since the late 1990s Optus has refused to hook up apartments to their cable network due to strata dramas.

This is despite the fact that they have run cables down our street which consists exclusively of strata units!!! Jesus it really shits me.

Legacy connections can remain in place (I understand one of my neighbours in our building has a connection), but they absolutely, staunchly refuse to hook up cable to apartments. This kind of shit treatment given to people by the telcos is one of the reasons why the NBN had to be built in the first place!

Ahh Optus Cable makes sense then :frowning:

The HFC side of things is going to be a massive issue - I wouldn’t be surprised if NBN considers walking away and either going FTTN or maybe FTTC in some areas. Optus’ network is in quite a poor state and there are some serious issues with Telstra’s network with interference with Foxtel

I put my migration order early last week in with Telstra - haven’t heard anything back yet though, should probably follow that up…

I’ve got an ETA of FTTC by July 2019 in my area.
It’s a relief that my current ADSL is just good enough (10/1) to cope with it until then. I’d also rather wait another year if it’s going to be FTTC instead of FTTN as originally scheduled.

1 Like