NBN (The other one)

Yes, and that Labor was toxic at the time with the infighting going on between Rudd and Gillard.

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™m glad those Rudd/Gillard days are behind us and will never ever happen again in Australian politics. Stable LNP leadership is what we got as a replacement! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

This shows the financial flaw in the LNPā€™s changes to the NBN:
When the LNP govā€™t reduced the bandwidth going to each customer (by abandoning fibre & changing to be dependent on the ancient rusty copper wires going into each house) they broke the NBN business model, and once again the LNPā€™s (Abbott in particular but not just him) opposition for the sake of opposing, is going to cost us all (one way or another).

PS (13:53 AEDT): Wowā€¦ from better & cheaper to this. So the LNP are failures at large infrastructure projects:

The LNP have been in government long enough to stop blaming Labor. The LNP broke the business model (in more than one way) so they own the failure.
At least with the original NBN weā€™d have a long-term benefit of modern infrastructure to (almost) all homes, now we have a white elephant of the Liberals making.

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more!

The copper wires themselves are going to have to be replaced sooner or laterā€¦ If we leave it to later, it will only be even more expensive again in 5, 10, 20 years time, or whenever that may be.

1 Like

Exactly what was said by the experts who were ignored at the time. I think the expected lifetime of the copper wiring was only 15-20 years but there are places out there (mine included I think) with 40 year old copper and now no end in sight.
Weā€™re now going to have the real digital divide even further if FTTC is thrown into the mix. Iā€™m glad Iā€™m only about 100m from the node but it sucks that others less than 50km away can have the full FTTP rollout and gigabit speeds and Iā€™m limited to just under 100Mb/s and others are even worse off.

3 Likes

I laughed out when I heard this on the radio at work. Fibre to the curb? What the fuck. Just do the final 5 metres to the house so we donā€™t have to deal with this shit in another 10-15 years, you frugal dickheads.

The Coalition fucked the NBN so hard itā€™s painful.

5 Likes

I think if it made it take longer to get a proper FTTP rollout people would have accepted that. Originally we were meant to get it in 2013, we only just got it a few months ago in 2017 but even if I was told it was going to be 2020 I would have been happy as it was going to be the proper rollout.

1 Like

Wow, youā€™re unhappy you canā€™t be connected so this dickhead wants to make it worse?!

They really donā€™t know how to build this thing.

Meanwhile, trying so hard to be happy for friends but man itā€™s hard with this huge digital divide growing! Had another friend on Facebook post his experience of upgrading his connection on Saturday. He chose to make use of a 14 day trial for a quarter-gigabit plan and filled in his application, expected a delay of about 6 months to get it sorted. Got an email 10 minutes later telling him to change the port on his NTD and that his service was active. He did a speed test and sure enough 240Mb+ download within 15 minutes of submitting his application. There are RSPā€™s who are truly trying to deliver top notch service and are able to do it with the proper FTTP and this should have been the experiences for everyone, not what we have with the haves and have nots and soon to be have even less ofā€™s.

2 Likes

I had four x three minute videos I had to upload to YouTube today, I have plenty of data on my Optus mobile so I attempted to upload via 3G (I was out of 4G range) ā€¦ and YouTube timed the first upload going for over one hour so I cancelled the upload. I did the uploads when I got home, using the Optus NBN and all four were on YouTube in less than a minute. The NBN is great, when it has been installed as originally planned.

3 Likes

How are you connected to the NBN? FTTN, HFC, FTTP?

FTTP

3 Likes

:ok_hand:

1 Like

The budget television setup at The Lodge. The internet is probably dial up.

5 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s a pretty messy looking set up with all of those exposed cables.

Makes me feel better about my messy TV set up now :grin:

4 Likes

Speed test this afternoon, Optus NBN WiFi 5Ghz and Optus Mobile 4G.

3 Likes

The ACCC is still blaming Telstra, Optus and TPG for selling NBN connection speed plans that canā€™t be achieved. The NBNCO gets off without blame for this with the telcos coping it all. Rod Sims should be blaming the NBNCO, particularly now as they have admitted that using the HFC cable doesnā€™t work as it should, and blame Malcolm Turnbull as it is his policy that has caused this mess.

The Telcos are responsible if they have information available showing that the line speeds are not capable of providing the full speed, yet continue selling the plans.

They certainly have that information available to them.

1 Like

At a friendā€™s place in Queanbeyan, comparing her NBN Fibre to the street corner with my mobile 4G. Thatā€™s a terrible broadband speed.

5 Likes

Theyā€™re not on a 12/1 plan?

Hereā€™s mine on fttn and Telstra 4G

3 Likes