NBN (The other one)

bastard

/jealousy

3 Likes

Usually I sit around 94 - 96 which isn’t too bad for FTTN and for paying $15 per month less than when I was getting only 4 on ADSL2+. Ping however varies from 41ms to once just over 200ms but overall not too bad.

4 Likes

Even better!

FTTN, it has slowed a bit since getting connected last year, also getting a bit of congestion during the evening peak where it can drop down to about 50Mbps.

3 Likes

Only 50 Mbps during peak, your poor thing!
I don’t know HOW you live with that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for NBN to be connected here, but ADSL 2+ is still a respectable (for the technology) 15 Mbps.

2 Likes

A couple of guys I used to work with have these speeds. They are home speeds and on FTTP, one in Launceston and the other in Hobart.

6 Likes

Was that you who posted about a year ago about a cancelled installation? What the fuck? Why haven’t they done it yet?

3 Likes

Last night during the season finale of Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell on ABC, there was a parody of Antiques Roadshow in which the antique expert examined the large grey metal cable box. IIRC he said it recalled the NBN technology which cost $50 billion.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s me.

But I’ve since discovered it’s because my apartment building needs to have its MDF upgraded which still hasn’t happened :sob:

Our managing agents are blaming NBN Co for the delay.

3 Likes

How much you wanna bet the LNP ignores this:

https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/627982/parliamentary-inquiry-calls-more-fibre-nbn-rollout/

“The committee heard evidence … that the cost-per-premise of FttP has decreased by as much as 40 per cent in the course of the rollout in other countries. It appears the per premise cost that nbn attributes to FttP has not changed since 2013,” the report stated.

This stance seems to contradict much of the current Government’s rationale behind abandoning the previous Government’s mostly FttP NBN rollout plan, and replacing it with a rollout that included a mix of technologies, some of which involve the use of Telstra’s legacy copper network. This decision was ostensibly taken in a bid to save money and time.

“The committee is of the view that the quality and service issues identified in this report were foreseeable and should have been identified and addressed systemically a lot earlier.

“The failure to ensure end-users are in a position to navigate the NBN migration process when coupled with the quality and service issues has caused a lack of confidence in the NBN, which in turn has likely affected the public appetite for higher speed broadband packages,” the committee said, in the report.

2 Likes

Meanwhile the LNP somehow continues their ridiculous disinformation campaign’s claims of being on-time & on-budget, despite FttC being cheap & so much better than the FttN rubbish they’re still pushing on us… :persevere:

PS: Oh great…

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2017/10/06/australia-peak-hour-internet-collapse-netflix/amp/

Australia’s internet is at risk of collapse at peak hour as the public’s love of internet streaming outpaces the broadband network’s capacity to handle the traffic, an expert has warned.

“The network could effectively stop between 5pm to 9pm,” Mark Gregory, electronic and telecommunications associate professor at RMIT University, told The New Daily.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/small-business/smallbiz-tech/patchy-internet-costing-australias-small-businesses-big-20171006-gyw4xj.html

Xero surveyed more than 1000 small business owners across Australia looking at how phone and internet connectivity affects business productivity, hiring and growth.

It found around 48 per cent of the small businesses surveyed struggle to reach and bring in new customers as a result of their poor phone or internet connection, 70 per cent say poor connectivity is hindering their efficiency and productivity and 62 per cent believe the quality of their customer service is affected by poor phone and internet connection.

Trent Innes, managing director of Xero Australia, says…
“If Australia is truly committed to our small businesses, it’s imperative that all businesses have access to quality internet connections to help them do their jobs better…”

Innes points to Speedtest’s Global Index, which shows despite having the sixth fastest mobile connections in the world on average, Australia’s fixed internet connection is one of the worst in the developed world with Australia ranked in 53rd position.

Too bad this Abbott-led LNP gov’t was more interested in rubbishing & crippling the NBN than deploying it, which would’ve done what small businesses need.

1 Like

So the friend in Hobart is now off the trial and this is his new speed last week. Yes, this is a residential service.

8 Likes

Take me to your friend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

One of the guys I work with was going to tell his wife they were moving to Deloraine, a small town about 3/4 hour away from here but was one of the first places to get the FTTH rollout despite only being about 7000 people there. He was going to buy a house and then rent it out to a heap of people to afford the cost each month… I think it’s about $400 a month!

That’s me! :hushed: How did you… oh wait. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Four Corners tomorrow (October 22) is a must-see because it is all about NBN.

What’s wrong with the NBN? Why Australia’s fast broadband is stuck in the slow lane.
From the start, Australia’s National Broadband Network was billed as a game changer that would future proof the nation by delivering super fast internet services. Almost a decade on from those promises, there’s a growing number of angry residential customers and small businesses who are bitterly disappointed with the NBN.
“I am a very, very frustrated NBN customer… What I’ve got is a trench running halfway up the driveway and a piece of PVC pipe with a rope running through it – and that’s all.” Customer
On Monday night, as the NBN reaches a milestone, passing the half-way point in its rollout, Four Corners investigates the problems fuelling this dissatisfaction.
“Nobody knows what anybody else is doing. The retail service providers don’t know what NBN Co is doing, I don’t know what either of them are doing, and NBN Co don’t seem to know what they themselves have done.” Software developer
For many Australians, the NBN has turned out to be a lottery. Not all customers are receiving the same connections. And in some regional areas there is a stark digital divide, between those with high-speed fibre to the premises, and neighbours stuck with old copper connections who worry they’re becoming digital second class citizens.
“On the left hand side as we’re driving down this street, those houses can have access to fibre to the node. On the right hand side, they’re fibre to the premises, so this is the digital divide.” Former Mayor
We examine what’s driving the decision making about the rollout, and investigate why some customers are being short-changed on expensive data plans that fail to deliver what they promise.
“We definitely feel like we’re being ripped off.” Customer
As critics warn that Australia will soon be a decade behind its near neighbour New Zealand in the digital transformation, reporter Geoff Thompson visits New Zealand’s ‘Gigatown’, Dunedin, to look at how superfast broadband is transforming the way they do business. Back in Australia, the government insists the NBN is going to plan and will be steadily upgraded.
“The NBN will be fit for purpose. It will support the needs that Australians have. But no network, no technology, is ever set in stone. There are always upgrades.” Communications Minister Mitch Fifield
In interviews with the Communications Minister and the current and former heads of NBN Co. we examine whether a decade of politicking has compromised the ability of the NBN to deliver for all Australians.
“I just feel incredibly disappointed that an opportunity to build a first class network that would set Australia up for the future was squandered, and squandered for the wrong reasons.” Former NBN executive

What’s wrong with the NBN? Reported by Geoff Thompson and presented by Sarah Ferguson, goes to air on Monday 23rd October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 24th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 25th at 11pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

2 Likes

To save everyone the trouble of watching - Tony Abbott is the answer. Not the answer to solving, the answer to what is wrong. He told Malcolm to destroy it and boy did he do that.

5 Likes

That awkward moment where the ABC ignores the NBN as a topic until it’s far too late… (most likely in the name of “balance” and out of fear of having more funding taken away)

Unfortunately it was because Abbott was doing too good a job in Opposition of showing how bad Labor was and everyone believed he could make things better. That election was the worst one I can remember for the blatant ignoring of election promises with no attempts at even achieving them, just breaking them all within 6 weeks. It made more of a mockery of our politicians than anything else in the last few decades I think.

3 Likes