NBN (The other one)

I am scheduled to get the NBN installed next Friday 7th…

I think the node is right outside my building and I have signed up for the 100/40 unlimited plan.

Looks like it will be good!

1 Like

Do you need the Optus Sports channels? If not, you can unbundle the thing and pay for the broadband ($80/mth) and Fetch ($15/mth) separately.

You’d save about $15 a month over the NBN entertainment plan, but would lose the Optus Sports and phone.

I suspect they include the home phone when the sports package is thrown in because VoIP costs fuck all compared to the old telephone service, and the modem supports it so why not?

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I’m in a new suburb so there is an NBN $300 new development charge, but the bundled plan I signed to gives me $240 credit on my first bill so the charge will effectively be $60. On any other broadband deal with Optus I would have to pay the full $300.

My 100/40 broadband/Fetch bundle is $120 per month as I get a $20 discount with a bundled postpaid mobile. The equivalent 100/40 broadband​ without Fetch and phone line is $110 per month, then I would need to get Fetch - which would add up to be more expensive than the plan I have.

I got NBN installed the other day, much faster upload/download speeds! Hooray.

Anyway, it’s way better than what I had before.

3 Likes

That’s good news!

What speeds are you getting?

1 Like

I’m not in a good area regarding speeds.

Download before: 16.68mbps
Download after: 23.65mbps

Upload before: 0.90mbps :confounded:
Upload after: 5.78mbps

May not seem like a huge difference, but it is a big difference for me.

2 Likes

You had pretty good ADSL 2+ speeds, better than what most people get.

But I’ve been told there is no correlation between ADSL and NBN speeds.

What NBN plan are you on?
I’m guessing it’s the 25/5?

1 Like

Correct.

1 Like

The New York Times putting the boot into the NBN.

4 Likes

Shame they got it slightly wrong; should’ve said that the LNP (then opposition) opposed the NBN at an election, lost, then said they could do NBN faster & cheaper (not wanting to concede that the then Labor govt was doing even one thing right, during a campaign which included denying global warming, claiming the ETS was a huge tax that would wipe a city of the map), won the election, and since then the LNP’s changes have meant the NBN is taking longer & costing more.
Without that it’s not really saying much, and is downplaying the key point of politics messing up what was generally a good policy.

2 Likes

I got an email from my ISP yesterday canceling my NBN installation!!!

My area went live on 24th March, I put my application in on 27th March, but now my address on the NBN rollout page has been changed from “available” to “planned” with no rollout date!

This has been a total farce. I will lodge a complaint over this. Not good enough from NBN Co, and also my ISP, with whom I have had to go chasing for updates ever since they failed to attend my installation appointment on 7th April.

3 Likes

Our area was due to be constructed in 2013, we’re now 2017 and not due to switch on for another fortnight. Most of the city here has been connected for over 12 months and we’ve had the node sitting there complete for nearly a year too. Been a long time sitting and watching and waiting. After the 2013 election Turnbull (then communications minister) wouldn’t even come to Tasmania for months and months after deliberately misleading. Prior to the election they repeated that all contracts for Tasmania had been signed and when asked repeatedly whether that meant all regions slated for FttP would actually get it, he kept repeating that all contracts for Tasmania had been signed and would be honoured. Despite being pushed, he would not say anything about converting them to FttN which of course got “announced” about 6 weeks after the election and all existing time frames immediately got changed or dropped. An absolute mess and extremely dishonest, more than usual.

That absolutely sucks! Good luck with it.

3 Likes

Had the NBN with Optus connected yesterday, two months behind schedule. So far it is brilliant. Speed result using the 5GHz WiFi, compared to my Optus 4G.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19467572_10209475186741108_8404050005330994363_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=932ee747d6e65287400e5c704b7c44bd&oe=5A0B8C0F

4 Likes

Nice ping, don’t think that’s possible at all in Tassie to get that low even on the gigabit NBN in Launceston. I get around 41ms ping and around 95-102 at the good times, much better than the 4Mb/s I got on ADSL.

3 Likes

Recent article lists the areas with best and worst connection speeds.

Australia’s best and worst broadband towns named: Where does your suburb sit?

Australia’s worst connected suburbs

(Based on number of premises receiving NBN via Satellite despite capital city proximity)

1 Werribee VIC
2 Bullsbrook WA
3 Kholo QLD
4 Diamond Creek VIC
5 Strathewen VIC
6 The Basin VIC
7 Harkaway VIC
8 Glenorie NSW
9 Martin WA
10 Canoelands NSW
11 Truganina VIC
12 Maroota NSW
13 Mulgoa NSW
14 Lysterfield VIC
15 Kenthurst NSW

Australia’s best connected suburbs

(Based on highest number of FTTP connections in suburbs in capital cities)

1 Glenorchy TAS
2 Mill Park VIC
3 Blacktown NSW
4 Tullamarine VIC
5 Brunswick VIC
6 Para Hills SA
7 Auburn NSW
8 Lidcombe NSW
9 Boondall QLD
10 Blackmans Bay TAS
11 Runcorn QLD
12 Taigum QLD
13 Aldinga Beach SA
14 West Hobart TAS
15 Seaford Rise SA

2 Likes

The NBN downgrade at the Elan building in Kings Cross. The residents are being forced from their existing seven year old Telstra installed HFC internet onto the slower NBN installation that uses the 20 year old telephone cables.

1 Like

^ That is a backward step and could be the tip of the iceberg. Many apartments built in capital cities in the past few years would have HFC technology installed and be affected by this change.

2 Likes

My NBN speed is still fine after a few months.

2 Likes

Wow thats awesome! Is that on FTTN or HFC?

2 Likes

It’s FTTP.

4 Likes