NBN (The other one)

Seriously who are these turkeys in charge? And why is he collecting a pay cheque to roll out a product that he doesn’t think we need or want?

2 Likes

This is an attempt to justify pulling the rollout back in speed and area covered

The problem is that a lot of Australians don’t have access to reasonable speeds as it is, so we make do (and grumble and moan) subsequently a lot of people don’t realise what you can actually do with faster internet so their desires are tempered

Most NBN services I’ve seen push the lower speed tiers in any case and do a good job at hiding that for a few extra dollarydoos you can get access to much faster tiers

I live in Glen Waverley and there are three different sets of dates for availability and disconnection of existing services. Which one should I follow? Seems to me the cut off date for existing services in my area is mid 2018.

1st of June.

Hmmm, haven’t seen any nodes around yet.

Yet another out of touch CEO.

1 Gigabits per second would be awesome!

But then many people have trouble getting close to even the 100 Mbps that they are paying for… so I reckon 1 Gbps is still just a pipe dream in reality.

Spreadsheet tells me this year in October, NBNco website says 2019 and Telstra’s map doesn’t say a thing rip.

so true
i got connected last month to 100/40 and it has changed what i do online.

i now purchase all my playstation games online, i watch live streaming TV and can actully upload stuff for uni from home and not wait for hours for it to work

1 Like

Been using it since it was mynbn.info.

Still on Cable (HFC) and getting 30/2

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6040965097][/URL][quote=“Radiohead, post:25, topic:2543”]
1 Gigabits per second would be awesome!
[/quote]

Well it’s kinda possible, that’s over 5G (Coming Soon) or Fibre, for that you’re looking at $400+ a month.
The best I’ve got was 150/50 over 4G in Melbourne CBD.

Edit: I once done a speed test at school and got around 50/20 over the Ethernet system.

As for WIFI, it seems slow.

Yes, 5G should arrive in 2019 and provide speeds around 1 Gbps.

Seemed ok for my area. Telstra map estimated 24th March and NBN site estimated Jan-march so it seems on track.

PART OF 3 YEAR PLAN
No specific date has been set

:confused:

Optus threatens disconnection to sign up NBN customers and fast-track HFC cable shutdown

Optus is ignoring the NBN’s 18-month switchover commitment and threatening to cut off cable customers within weeks, using strongarm tactics to sign them up as Optus NBN customers before they can consider changing provider.
Optus is calling its cable broadband customers in newly NBN-ready areas and threatening both telephone and broadband disconnection in 30 days – including the permanent loss of their home phone number – if they don’t migrate from Optus cable to the NBN network. The calls come before those customers have received a “Ready For Service” letter from the NBN indicating they can sign up with their internet service provider of choice.
After threatening cable disconnection, the Optus representative then offers to arrange an NBN connection appointment before the 30-day deadline, to transfer the customer to an Optus NBN service – in some cases forcing them onto a new 24-month contract – without explaining that they have a choice of internet service provider.

The article lists suburbs currently reaching NBN Ready for Service which have Optus cable customers include Keilor East and Glen Waverley in Melbourne, along with Kellyville, Edgecliff, Wetherhill Park, Sefton and Cheltenam in Sydney.
I live in Glen Waverley and use Optus home phone and internet service so will be affected. Any advice on what I should do next?

1 Like

Reasons to not go with Optus.
They are owned by Singtel who are owned by, you guessed it
The Singaporean Government

They also don’t give a shit about current day issues.

Singapore also employs corporal punishment in the form of severe caning on the bare buttocks for numerous criminal offences if committed by males under 50, and this is a mandatory sentence for some 30 offences. Some international observers, including Amnesty International, maintain that corporal punishment is in itself contrary to human rights,

Also, they can do what dogy busness they want.

Posted via the Optus HFC network :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

3 Likes

So NBN has now arrived in my area via NBN HFC.

Deciding whether to switch anytime soon… I’d love 40Mb upload speeds though!

I’m supposed to be getting NBN broadband from possibly as soon as the end of next week (when it goes live in my area).

I have signed up for 100 Mbps unlimited with my current provider. I currently get 16 Mbps on ADSL2+ which is 2/3rds of the theoretical maximum ADSL 2+ speed, so on that score, I’m hopeful of about 66 Mbps on the NBN.

I checked tonight and I’m getting KFC or something. Any good?

4 Likes

Yeah popcorn chicken is great.

3 Likes

Same for me, only in 2019 tho :pensive::pensive::pensive:

If you grab some Zinger fillets send em along, cheers.

This morning Optus approved my NBN broadband with Fetch application, it’s fibre into the home and gets installed in three weeks. One thing I’ve found odd is Optus includes a fixed home phone connection as part of the bundle, in fact it’s impossible to get an NBN broadband & Fetch bundle without​ the home phone connection. I will not be plugging a phone in so will not be using it, I’m wondering why they include it when more and more people are using mobile phones. I’ve bundled my mobile in with the broadband so will get a slight discount.

1 Like