NBN News

Still on air.

The only reason I can see for this is that, unlike Nine News regional, the key NBN markets of Newcastle and Central Coast don’t have a competing local bulletin to fill in the gap.

Will be interesting to see if the weekend bulletins stay on air though.

3 Likes

Or I it gets twice as many viewers as the Perth or Adelaide News and it’s it’s too valuable to touch.

That, plus it’s a Nine O&O station while the SCA bulletins have very clearly never been a priority for Nine.

3 Likes

Then why is Darwin treated differently given that NTD is a Nine O&O station?

4 Likes

Not to mention that NBN News probably still has a level of independence (even if it isn’t as strong as it once was) from the rest of Nine News, compared to the regional bulletins produced by SCA.

2 Likes

Because Darwin was already streamlined into the regional news operation. For news purposes, there is functionally no difference between Darwin and the other SCA regions. Ownership takes a back seat in this case.

6 Likes

Last nights EPG for NBN News was a little strage:
Program Name: Nbn news
Program Discrption: Nbn news

(no pic)
Just really werid, if it’s like that tomorrow i’ll try and get a picture.

2 Likes

Yes it’s usually like that… with Upper Case for the first N only… It should be Upper Case for all letters ie. NBN.

1 Like

How long has this been happening?

1 Like

Not sure really… quite possibly years… they have never been consistent with how they do things like that.

From what I understand they are getting treated differently. They get a locally made, produced and presented insert/s during ACA. Are the SCA9 outfits getting the same amount of love?

If they had the facilities and maybe a few extra staff to do a proper 30 minute bulletin they possibly would.

Got to see NBN Mid North Coast sport and weather windows tonight.

With sport, the local window had three items, but two of these were Newcastle items.

With weather, and I haven’t seen this before, but the weekend weather window now only covers temps from Bulahdelah to Grafton, looks like Northern Rivers now get their own weather window (possibly combined with Gold Coast?),

It’s the weekend, remember?

For some strange reason, there are separate Mid North Coast and Far North Coast forecasts on weekends, but a North Coast-wide weather segment on weeknights. Same deal with the Newcastle & Central Coast markets.

I didn’t know that the North Coast forecasts were split like that now too ie. different for weeknights and weekends.

Also, with the last sport item being on the Newcastle Knights NRL game tomorrow vs the Wests Tigers, Kate Haberfield just said “and you can see that game tomorrow here from 4pm” (still no branding). Seems like Nine is still a dirty word at NBN News.

2 Likes

It’s not an entirely new thing though - I noticed the the North Coast forecast structure (more local on weekends than weeknights) as far back as 2012/13 so it wouldn’t surprise me if this has been happening for many years.

Yep, I suspect NBN would still be branding the station as “NBN” instead of Nine if they could!

1 Like

Just saw that new promo on Nine for their news during Covid 19.

When discussing news programs, the VO says “NBN News” but the video is of Peter Overton.

Endboard has all shows and NBN News logo with “on Nine” VO.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Thursday night bulletin, with live cross to Gold Coast for Queensland border restrictions:

7 Likes
1 Like

Here it is:

4 Likes