NBN News

Oh yes the PQ on NBN News is awful. The upscaling doesn’t help at all.

You can clearly see the jagged lines in letters like W in the watermark for instance. Very Commodore 64 like.

As for the music, whilst t has no flow to my ears, it should be a no brainer for NBN to adopt the network music package for consistency with the daytime bulletins since all bulletins are largely the same type of news and format.

2 Likes

“Coming Up” now in red

2 Likes

5 Likes

I didn’t think they were “allowed” to use the NBN logo in isolation like that anymore - everything had to be branded as “Nine” or “NBN News”.

2 Likes

have you heard those horrible radio ads? When I was down over Christmas they were on nearly every break “ADVERTIIIISE WITH SCALE… on Triple M, Hit and NBNNNNNNN”

3 Likes

Not those ones…

But on the Central Coast on 2GO\Triple M, have heard the “head straight to Channel 8 - NBN” ads with no mention of Nine at all.

3 Likes

ok, but I am and the previous poster is. It sounds cheap and corny, they’d be better to switch to the 9 theme.

3 Likes

and lose one of the last bits of individuality they still have?

1 Like

Considering that Laurence Schuberth seems to already be/still is on the Nine Entertainment Company payroll (and has even composed an updated version of the NBN News theme for promos in recent years), I reckon the company could do a lot worse than letting him have a go at re-composing the Nine News theme.

To sweeten the deal, NBN News could receive their own version of this updated Nine News theme music with “the NBN News signature” in place of “the Nine News/Cool Hand Luke signature” - I think that would be a decent enough compromise between local branding independence and network branding synergy.

2 Likes

It’s pretty awful… could probs modernise it a bit, but still, meh.

2 Likes

Nine should just adopt the old Nightline theme across the board.

7 Likes

No

2 Likes

yes.

3 Likes

I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but the “Next” and “Still to come” straps were only light blue on the first night (Sunday). Since Monday, they’ve been red like the rest of the network.

3 Likes

I’ve heard NBN News being compared, in format, to Nine’s local news - a live read for Newcastle with pre-recorded local windows inserted for the other sub-markets. As I’m not familiar with the NBN product, may I ask a few questions?

Are the headlines pan-regional or local to each market?
Is the 5:55 promo (and others) pan-regional?
How many local windows are in the bulletin (and for how many different markets) and how are they placed?
Are there also local windows on weekends/public holidays?
I assume there has never been an attempt to promote or present it as a different program for each market (like Nine’s green screen/local backdrops and bulletin names)?
Apart from the obvious presentation of the bulletin and studio-size, in what other ways do they differ from Nine Local News?

Thanks in advance for any info/opinions!

1 Like

My answers below

Are the headlines pan-regional or local to each market?

They are the same for everywhere.

Is the 5:55 promo (and others) pan-regional?

Same for everywhere.

There is a 5.40pm preview that is local to each.

How many local windows are in the bulletin (and for how many different markets) and how are they placed?

6 x local windows for
Newcastle
Central Coast
Mid North Coast
Far North Coast
Gold Coast
North West Slopes New England

6 x news at 6.05 or thereabouts for 6 minutes
6 x Sport at 6 45 or thereabouts for 4 minutes
4 x Weather at 6.54 or thereabouts for 5 minutes
Newcastle and Central Coast share a weather window as does Mid and Far North Coasts.

Are there also local windows on weekends/public holidays?

Yes, except Christmas Day and Good Friday

I assume there has never been an attempt to promote or present it as a different program for each market (like Nine’s green screen/local backdrops and bulletin names)?

Very rarely

Apart from the obvious presentation of the bulletin and studio-size, in what other ways do they differ from Nine Local

Windows are placed a bit differently, NBN goes to an ad break straight after each, I don’t think Nine regional does?

2 Likes

On weekdays, Far North Coast and Mid North Coast have the same local windows for news, sport and weather. Although I have noticed on weekends the local news and sport windows are the same but the weather forecasts are split between Mid and Far North Coast.

4 Likes

NBN News running a Peter Overton v/o promo for tonight’s news with a specific story - not unusual except it is running with the Nine News static bug on bottom left of screen then the NBN News full screen graphic at the end.

5 Likes

Maybe a hint at future branding, maybe not this year though.

There are signs that Nine is trying to get 9NBN viewers used to their news branding to make the eventual but inevitable transition easier.

3 Likes

Unfortunate logo cover up attempt.

Not very well aligned, you can see the Nine border up the top left.

8 Likes