NBN News

Graphics on NBN HD looks like its coming from a Commodore 64.

New backdrop by the looks of it.

4 Likes

The alert has infected us as well.

14 Likes

Isn’t it time NBN adopted the 9 NEWS theme music now?

Exactly what viewer would be upset it it changed?

3 Likes

I’ve noticed a couple of differences with the NBN News implementation of the new network graphics.

The “Next” and “Still To Come” text backgrounds are light blue instead of red.

7 Likes

Replacing a piece of music first used not quite six years ago with one that was first used twelve years ago?

I’m actually on NBN’s side here, at least until (or unless) Nine News ever gets an updated version of their theme music.

2 Likes

NBN have had a number of opportunities to align with relaunched Cool Hand Like mixes over the last 28 years.

They just choose not to, and I suspect won’t until Nine forces their hand.

3 Likes

Nice update to the weather graphics.

1 Like

Caps:

14 Likes

I like the weather graphics changes - the light blue looks nice.

Though I note in the “Today” temps, they now have AWS in some of the location names and the text doesn’t fit or wrap properly. Don’t know WHY they’ve done that.

4 Likes

Arial for the Weather graphics? Oh dear…

The rest looks reasonable enough if those caps are anything to go by, but of course that ancient set and lack of HD production brings it all down somewhat.

6 Likes

Formal vs Former

10 Likes

Strange. As 9 music is iconic and impactful. Only helps the broadcast. NBN music pales in comparison

Also strange as they adopt the GFX day 1 and NBN Newcastle and QTQ Brisbane stations are run by the same lady

2 Likes

I’d argue that NBN News music is iconic and impactful in their markets. It’s also better than Nine News’ rendition of Cool Hand Luke, which is extremely repetitive, boring and becoming pretty stale in it’s now 12th year in use. It was a shit update to the previous theme too, with just bits of past themes thrown together.

6 Likes

and still the same stupid endtag at the end…

1 Like

I agree.

Perhaps if NBN News was still using their 2008-14 theme music (which I’ve heard described as sounding “like something from Star Wars” or “a dance track from late 2004”), I could understand why some people might prefer Nine News’ theme music.

But the 2014-current version of NBN News’ theme music is pretty good (even if with somewhat more of a “Seven-esque sound” than a Nine one…if you know what I mean), right up there with the 2013-18 Ten Eyewitness News theme & the 2015-17 Lateline theme as my favourites from Australian TV. Perhaps it’s because I’ve become fairly accustomed to NBN’s current theme over several years and numerous trips in the viewing area during that time, but I’d actually have no problems if Nine News was to adopt it as their theme music!

2 Likes

Weather software not setup to deal with the gfx package properly?

Might be fixed tomorrow (well today now) - it has to cover Nine News Regional NSW weather segments too

1 Like

I just can’t see the point of changing promos, RPGs, Idents, News graphics -
Basically all branding to Nine /
But keeping music

3 Likes

The light blue is better because I think red should be reserved for “breaking” and “live” situations.

When you look at Nine and NBN side-by-side you realise how poor NBN’s picture quality is… can’t wait for HD.

3 Likes

Has NBN covered up Nine’s new logo on the Early Edition news?

1 Like

I personally prefer the Cool Hand Luke and think it makes sense to have hit on a station that is almost 100% Nine, but I think NBN’s theme is actually pretty good!

2 Likes