NBN News

Continuing the conversation about the (possible) future of NBN News into a more relevant thread…

I’d like to hope so.

Mind you, NBN/Nine are probably also strongly advantaged by not having any proper competition for local news in the Newcastle/Hunter region.

Arguably the Central Coast could benefit from the Nine News Regional-style of production. While I doubt this will happen, their facilities on the Central Coast should be used as a bureau for the main Sydney bulletin - there and possibly Western Sydney (one of the networks probably should have a bureau there too) are two potential “hot spots” for expansion by Nine News in the future, I think.

Jane Goldsmith is NBN News’ best presenter by a considerable margin, but I’d even go as far as saying that Tyson Cotrill is a better/more authoritative newsreader than either Paul or Tash!

Mitchell Hughes’ Sport presenting is neither really here or there - passable, but I probably wouldn’t be totally disappointed if Nine replaced him with Mike Lorigan or Kate Haberfield if the presentation side of bulletins moved to North Sydney.

Again, Gavin Morris is probably the most interesting situation with a strong dislike for Sydney but at the same time, being someone Nine obviously likes based on the fact he also presents the Southern NSW/ACT forecasts and has also been a regular Cat Fight “Chat Room” guest on Nine News Now.

Similar probably could’ve been said about Nine News Darwin, but we all know what happened there.

And yes, I know how Northern NSW is a more populated market but once you take out the overlap of the Gold & Central Coast markets (who are far more likely to be watching Seven or Nine at 6pm rather than NBN) that 2 million+ residents becomes barely over a million, maybe even slightly under seven figures: Still by far the most populated non-metro market but with that large population spread across an area larger than any of the main five, probably not quite enough to justify full local production with a metro-standard set and weekend news, etc.

4 Likes

Finally, an NBN reporter on the 6pm Nine News Sydney! (tonight).

Note the NBN Twitter handle.

Nine News sign off was done off camera.

8 Likes

And Nine’s Grace Fitzgibbon - a mate of mine! - in Newcastle doing a report on a fatal motorcycle police chase.

4 Likes

Saw that too!

Wonder if NBN used Grace’s report or did their own?

1 Like

No idea. I just knew Grace was up here today.

1 Like

OT but Newcastle is so different from just 18 months ago when I was down last

I was down on the foreshore and visiting family at Stockton. The amount of buildings going up around West Newcastle is unbelievable.

Traffic is ridiculous though

2 Likes

It is!
Mostly around the western end of the CBD near the Interchange.
Unfortunately the eastern end / Hunter St mall is as bad as ever.
Light rail has made no difference there whatsoever.

1 Like

Hunter St Mall is about to be rebuilt with new buildings. The only buildings that won’t change are a few who wouldn’t sell out

2 Likes

While this discussion about Newcastle developments is interesting, let’s get back on topic now.

Do any of us think NBN News will roll out the new Nine News graphics that are supposed to be launching on Sunday night? With the equipment they’ve got now at times appearing to struggle with elements of the current look, I personally wouldn’t be overly surprised if they hold off a rebrand until the move away from Mosbri Cresent!

1 Like

I agree, updated network graphics are a likelihood from Sunday, but updated theme music or rebrand are much less likely, and as you say, may not happen until Mosbri Crescent is vacated.

When’s Mosbri Crescent due to be vacated?

It was sold in July 2018 - this article says they are leasing it back for “about two years.” So they are due to move in the next few months. I reckon they’ll send it to North Sydney.

NBN said it would lease back its Mosbri Crescent studios for about two years while it searched for new, modern premises and the move would not dilute its commitment to the region.

“An option on the sale of the NBN Newcastle site has been executed by leading local developer Stronach Property,” a spokesperson said.

“The property sale will settle in November, but NBN will continue to lease the property for the next couple of years as we look for a new location to lease in Newcastle. The sale of the site has no impact on our regional presence and commitment to serving the Northern NSW community.”

2 Likes

Though it says further below

I think if they were serious about that it would have happened by now. The studios and equipment are just held together by gaffatape.

3 Likes

Georgia Maher is leaving to move to London.

1 Like

Answering the question “Will NBN News be adopting the new look Nine News graphics tonight?”

That answer is yes! Bad news for those who were hoping for a new bulletin name and/or theme music though…

15 Likes

Is that in HD? From memory all their news breaks previously were SD

1 Like

I can’t imagine NBN News being in HD until they move out of Mosbri Crescent.

5 Likes

Probably a small minority wishing that.

1 Like

Just saw an update go to air. Looks upscaled.

2 Likes